New protective vehicle/buliding material -

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Palmbay, Aug 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I did a search and haven't found any previous posting of this easy to apply life saving piece of kit:

The Science Channel (part of Discovery) has a show called SMASH LAB, where they like to destroy things and learn from the destruction.

Seems while discussing the toughness of a popular pick-up truck bedliner material called "Rhino-Liner"- really neat stuff. The spray-on liners adhere to the actual metal, and offer better protection from dents, corrosion, etc. The coating tends to become very thick when applied, adding to it's durability.

And from their tests in the SMASH LAB, a small section has a 500lb tensile strength, not what they expected. And they tested it on 2 junk pickup trucks-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W7uFiPVF5I

This next test was on a wall to see if it would hold it together. From the video the Pentagon walls are now to be coated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLzWIa-Rs7E

Very good stuff indeed, hopefully the British vehicle floors will also be sprayed with this. I believe it has many applications.

2. very impressive videos......

Will the UK budget stretch to such a good/life saving idea..............probably not

3. good find, save some lives and earn yourself some money put in a GEMS asap.

4. Similar application from Line-x does the same thing, we had our pick up truck beds at work coated in the stuff 3 years ago. Not a single dent or scratch yet, and they carry some heavy gear around in the back. Cost was about $750 (Can) I bet the price shoots up a tad if the military decides to option it though.

5. we tested "Rhino-Liner" on our Dyneema body armour. it made the armour too brittle and it exploded on impact with a Chinese AK47 AP round (NIJ IV Testing). needless to say, it does not work on body armour!!!

6. It depends how big that "small piece" is. At one cm square cross-section, that's a tensile strength of 25MPa, which isn't much.

Interesting though.

7. Not being funny, but it was never intended to be used to stop bullets, just to hold the vehicle bed together to stop it ripping through your mucker.
    The clip showing the bullet entering the fuel tanker and sealing up as it passed through was quite impressive though.

8. well we have to try everything, its called R&D!