Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Aug 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

This is probably the best e-mail I've seen in a long, long time. The following has been attributed to State Representative Mitchell Kaye from GA. This guy should run for President one day...

(BTW: There might even be some hints for you Brits, as I see some of the same things happening there as well.)

"We the sensible people of the United States, in an attempt to help everyone get along, restore some semblance of justice, avoid more riots, keep our nation safe, promote positive behavior, and secure the blessings of debt-free liberty to ourselves and our great-great-great-grandchildren, hereby try one more time to ordain and establish some common sense guidelines for the terminally whiny, guilt ridden, delusional, and other liberal bed-wetters. We hold these truths to be self evident: that a whole lot of people are confused by the Bill of Rights and are so dim they require a Bill of NON-Rights."

ARTICLE I: You do not have the right to a new car, big screen TV, or any other form of wealth. More power to you if you can legally acquire them, but no one is guaranteeing anything.

ARTICLE II: You do not have the right to never be offended. This country is based on freedom, and that means freedom for everyone -- not just you! You may leave the room, turn the channel, express a different opinion, etc.; but the world is full of idiots, and probably always will be.

ARTICLE III: You do not have the right to be free from harm. If you stick a screwdriver in your eye, learn to be more careful; do not expect the tool manufacturer to make you and all your relatives independently wealthy.

ARTICLE IV: You do not have the right to free food and housing. Americans are the most charitable people to be found, and will gladly help anyone in need, but we are quickly growing weary of subsidizing generation after generation of professional couch potatoes who achieve nothing more than the creation of another generation of professional couch potatoes (This one is my pet peeve...get an education and go to work....don't expect everyone else to take care of you!)

ARTICLE V: You do not have the right to free health care. That would be nice, but from the looks of public housing, we're just not interested in public health care.

ARTICLE VI: You do not have the right to physically harm other people. If you kidnap, rape, intentionally maim, or kill someone, don't be surprised if the rest of us want to see you fry in the electric chair.

ARTICLE VII: You do not have the right to the possessions of others. If you rob, cheat, or coerce away the goods or services of other citizens, don't be surprised if the rest of us get together and lock you away in a place where you still won't have the right to a big screen color TV or a life of leisure.

ARTICLE VIII: You do not have the right to a job. All of us sure want you to have a job, and will gladly help you along in hard times, but we expect you to take advantage of the opportunities of education and vocational training laid before you to make yourself useful. (AMEN!)

ARTICLE IX: You do not have the right to happiness. Being an American means that you have the right to PURSUE happiness, which by the way, is a lot easier if you are unencumbered by an over abundance of idiotic laws created by those of you who were confused by the Bill of Rights.

ARTICLE X: This is an English speaking country. We don't care where you are from, English is our language. Learn it or go back to wherever you came from!

ARTICLE XI: You do not have the right to change our country's history or heritage. This country was founded on the belief in one true God. And yet, you are given the freedom to believe in any religion, any faith, or no faith at all; with no fear of persecution The phrase IN GOD WE TRUST is part of our heritage and history, and if you are uncomfortable with it, TOUGH!
  2. Ah, a list of ten word answers. Wonderful.
  3. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Somehow, I knew you would be the first post, in this thread. Not your usuall wordy lefist liberal retoric though!
  4. you know trip some times i have to say that you just love to tell us how great the US is as opposed to lil ole UK someday i just like to think you will give up and stick to MilCom where you can be amongst other right thinking god fearing and upstanding members of the the country that is a shining light for democracy freedom justice and Honour.
  5. Sorry I've lost you on this one. There are eleven articles. Some of them don't seem so bad from the US point of view.
  6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Well 'Halo,' sorry to disappoint you; however,, isn't a site that I post on. I do get their newsletter e-mailed to me though. I find that it contains a lot of good information for serving military, retirees and those interested in military affairs, etc.

Actually, the article I posted, was more critical of the USA than a comparison of of this Country and the UK, as you say here.

"how great the US is as opposed to lil ole UK"

I did think that religious aside, that the UK, is faced with some of the same issues and problems, as mentioned in the article, except perhaps for the health care issues, since you do have a national health care program. IMHO the UK is a great Country and a great alliance.

As for your other comment, I quote.:

"where you can be amongst other right thinking god fearing and upstanding members of the the country that is a shining light for democracy freedom justice and Honour."

Again, aside from the religious part of your comment (God fearing,) I do as a proud American citizen, happen to believe, that in fact, that the USA does standout, as "A shining light for Democracy, Freedom, Justice and Honor." Just as your Country does. I'm sure you must feel the same way, about your country. Right? :wink:

BTW: This is the that sends me the NL:
  7. At least when I make long posts, Trip, they're MY thoughts in MY words, not something I cut and paste from or wherever you find this stuff. And rhetoric (there's an 'h' in there, by the way) is the lifeblood of a discussion forum. It's not designed to be a place for you to lay down the words of another person that have caught your eye, as if you have clambered down Mt Sinai with them carved in stone. (Which is how, despite your protestations to the contrary, you tend to present the unmitigated tripe and dullardry you churn out with nauseating frequency.)

Rickshaw, the "Ten Word Answer" is a term from politics, specifically campaigns, which is derived from the idea of the soundbite. The ten word answer is a simple statement or phrase (hardly ever actually 10 words) which, at first glance, seems to offers common-sense answers to the problems currently (note the spelling of "current", Trip) being faced. A good example of this is "Taxes are too high, we should trust people with their money, not the government".

Now, as an electioneering or rabble-rousing device they're great- nice and easy to understand and remember etc., but the problem comes when you have to sit down and figure out how exactly you're going to do it.

Let's take the "tough on crime" theme as an example, since it seems to be a recurring thread (to the point of redundancy) in the piece and I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks that more crime is a good thing. The Ten Word (8 actually) answer is "We must get tough on crime and criminals."

Wonderful- everybody cheers.

How? What are the next ten words? Are you going to raise taxes to the heavens to pay for more cops and prisons? Are you going to cut funding from schools and other essential services? Are you going to borrow even more money for your grandkids to pay off? Or are you going to keep funding where it is and just change the law so eventually you have a civil and human rights regime in your country that makes Saudi Arabia look like Sweden?

How do you even reconcile the contradictions within these articles? How do you reconcile an opposition to welfare payments (Article IV) with Article VIII which implies that the government is under no obligation to maintain a commitment to full employment you and that hiring and firing regulations are as lax as possible? Where does that leave the average Joe Sixpack and his 3 kids who has just been laid off from his non-union job? How are the kids going to pay for college now and avail themselves of the only part of the US education system that's worth a damn these days? To embark on this course of action is to undermine the security of citizens, which I'm pretty sure (and I've taken and taught more than one politics class in my time) is the entire basis for the Social Contract that the state makes with its citizens.

I could go on and on all day, but I believe I've made my point. However, to spell it out for the hard of understanding, it's not the ideas per se that I have a problem with. I'm just saying that governance and society is too complex for bumper sticker/fortune cookie "wisdom". As such, like 99% of Trip_Wire's other posts, the list is essentially meaningless.
  8. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Your usual wordy biased radical liberal view of things. I don't see anything new in your usual retoric. Same old garbage. Garbage in garbage out!

BTW: Do you have a 'boiler plate,' file that you use for this type of stuff?
  9. Guy's - there are only three people in a boxing ring. A referee, a boxer and a blood donor.

Who's who in this punch up ?
  10. That's for everyone else to decide, Josey.

However be advised that absent the ability to reason like a normal human being, Trip just cuts and pastes from random websites rather than thinking up anything for himself. He rarely adds anything more substantial than "I agree with this" and his usual methods of defence involve the "la la la, I can't hear you" manoeuvre and the "it is so, because I said so" gambit. I've long since given up trying to convince him of anything, instead I just try to make sure that any impressionable young minds that are out there are open to the possibility that he may, in fact, be talking b0llocks most of the time.
  11. Small wonder that you fcuk-wits are considered the dumbest mother-******* on the face of the planet.

Have a real nice day y'all.

12. Crabtastic - never heard of theat before - thanks for the answer.

Bergen - what are you on about? Who considers who to be the dumbest mother-fukcers on the planet? Are you asuming that everyone agrees with crabtastic. I think you will find they don't - read my post when I said some of it seems fine from the US viewpoint.

Trip-wire agrees that our NHS may not suit some Americans but may suit others. He agrees we are a great country - I agree - and a we are also great allies - I agree.

What your post makes you sound like a spluttering, arrogant moron incapapble of reasoned argument.

Are you or do you have something sensible to add to the debate :?:
  13. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

This lament from you, sounds familiar! I think we've been down this road before! Our little truce, or whatever you want to call it, seems to be eroding. :roll:

Yes, I do cut & paste articles that I find that might be interesting to the members here. Just like about 90% of other ARRSE users do.

Yes, I do try to keep any comments short, on the posted article. I'm more interested in the comments, of others on that posted article. Many of these articles need no comment, they are just for the information of all readers. In a few cases, I have no particular view or comment to make on an article, yet feel that it is worth posting for its news value.

If someone asks me a direct question on anything I post, I try to answer that question the best way I can.

Now, I'll try to describe your posting behavior on ARRSE, if I can.

1.) You never seem to post any articles or anything stemming from yourself, under your screen name. All I ever see from you are posts on other peoples posts that are very wordy, critical of them and/or corrective about their posts.

2.) Apparently, you have appointed yourself, as the great critic of all posts here on ARRSE, since that is all you seldom do here, is criticize others and be critical of their posts here.

3.) You try to impress people here, with your never ending, verbal diarrhea (diarrhea.) which normally a very biased leftist liberal view, of anything that is discussed here, particularly on American and Americans.

4.) Actually, I have made some lengthy posts here on subjects, that I feel that I have some expertise in. You on the other hand, don't let it seem to bother you to expound, on subjects that you seem to have a minimal amount of 'hands on,' expertise in given your Crab, background.

I think the people here on ARRSE, seem to know that we agree to disagree, on most things and they really don't enjoy type of exchange, in fact someone, referred to our exchange as a feud. So, lets not keep doing these little exchanges here in public. :wink:
  14. This

seems to be a fair working definition of this