New post Brexit passports 'to be printed in France'

If every country took that line De La Rue would lose a large proportion of its overseas customers.

No it wouldn’t, because De La Rue does a large volume of its trade with countries that have no secure printing operations.

Meanwhile,

It's been the case since 2009 that we do not require passports to be manufactured in the UK. A proportion of passports have been made overseas since then with up to 20% of blank passport books currently produced in Europe with no security or operational concerns.’

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
It seems as though panties are getting twisted for no reason, the Dutch/French firm that have this contract are just printing blank passports, (this means no personal details at all), the security stuff and personal details will be done in the UK as it is now.

exbleep

On ROPS
On ROPs
However, there was no guarantee De La Rue would do all or any of the printing in the UK.
They already do some of the their current work in Europe and just finish passports in the UK.

I’m wondering why the Remainers aren’t all up in arms that De la Rue print Euro notes in the UK
Funny, it's only you that seems to be mentioning this.
And where, in amongst one of your many stupidity genes, does it prompt you to reckon "Remainers" should be up in arms? Please, I'd really like to know. I'd have thought the Remainers would have been quite happy about it.
Of course, this will stop when we leave as EU notes can be printed in any EU country irrespective of whether they are in the eurozone or not but not in countries outside the EU (which we will be).
In fact, De la Rue print currency for many countries, not just the overspill from the EU. Whether they are done in their printing works in Gateshead, Sri Lanka or Kenya is something they won't discuss for "security" reasons.

Are they really being printed in France?

Apparently not

According to the FT, they will be mated in Fareham and Heywood in Englandshire.
What is "mated"? The image of mating passports is unlike anything I have experienced since a useless, foreign GP prescribed LSD for me instead of Laculose. (It was a bad trip man. Some of the hallucinations were so frightening that they made me shi .... err I mean caused involuntary bowel movements so I suppose the LSD had the same effect as a good slug of Laculose)

The details page on passports is just printed text with a foil overlay. There's a cunning second photo that's made up of text spelling the name and date of birth of the holder but that's it for security. Presumably the passports are delivered with a blank details page and an empty chip. An inkjet printer puts the details on and a chip writer inserts the biometric stuff.

The blank passports could be made anywhere, although if they were made in Somalia we might see a surge in new British Citizens.

1. Its the Daily Mail
2. Extreme outliers exist in all discussions/arguments. There are plenty of moonhowlers who think the Earth is flat. Pointing to one of them in the MSM doesn't make it so.
3. There is no 'wave of fury'. Theres a couple of career politicians trying to get publicity/improve their profile by inventing one - which doesn't exist. Its effectively a fabricated non-story to generate political capital/stir up 'outrage'. Which seems to be working on many Remaniacs. Most Leave voters don't actually give a shit.

Last edited:
According to the Times it was a blind tender. Ministers didn't know the nationality of the bidders when they made their choice

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

It was just a thought on how to keep the process in country without falling foul of any EU trade/tendering rules.
Either in the convenient omission of other countries of the EU or on the basis of cost that will not be passed on to the Punter any way? I'd be far more convinced under the concept of data protection.

Wah shield up.

2nd to last page, behind your photo.

Wah shield relaxed.
That was true on my old passport. The details page has now moved to the front. There's no sign of a chip or an antenna on any page. Are these dastardly frogs flogging us chipless passports? We'll never be able to go to Disneyland again. The horror, the horror.

Yep as a Leaver can confirm my 'give-a-fuckometer' failed to even twitch. I'm convinced that some think that Leavers are one homogeneous Borg like mass receiving instruction directly from a secret Mail and Farage led evil cabal.
IMG_0235.JPG

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
That was true on my old passport. The details page has now moved to the front. There's no sign of a chip or an antenna on any page. Are these dastardly frogs flogging us chipless passports? We'll never be able to go to Disneyland again. The horror, the horror.
Seeing as they're made in the UK at the moment, no!

has anyone mentioned the consumption of cheesy comestibles, simians and/or capitulation yet?

We'll never be able to go to Disneyland again. The horror, the horror.
And apparently we will never again be able to set foot in mainland Europe, as the result of Brexit,. Best get used to Cleethorpes.

(PS: If, in an attempt to bypass the waiting list, you source your passport renewal from a guy called Tariq down the market, then you can reasonably expect one or two anomalies.)

The blank passports could be made anywhere, although if they were made in Somalia we might see a surge in new British Citizens.
We would do if they didn't keep falling off the boats between Libya and Italy.