New post Brexit passports 'to be printed in France'

Anger many?

Only if a 10000% tariff is imposed perhaps. If British companies think they can charge over the wider market odds because of Brexit sentimentality, I hope this shows the error in that thinking.

I doubt a kickback, I suspect there was a view this would be a protected market and was priced accordingly.

Total non-story although several lefty websites are trying to paint Patel and Cash’s mutterings as “mass outrage”. Anyway, I believe that they are going to be printed in Fareham.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Whe it has to go out to tender as we are still a part of the EU, it was bound to happen. The competition put in a tender 50 million below De La Rue and got the job, fair and square. The techy stuff will still be done in the UK though, biometrics etc.

Did a French firm submit a lower price for the job than UK firms? Saving UK tax-payers' money?
You could argue that it is a national security situation?

All half-witted confected outrage. Does anyone seriously think Brexit = pull up the drawbridge and stop buying stuff overseas?

As pointed out above, contract price wins and this appears to be only for the actual blank documents themselves. The secure stuff gets added in UK.

Actually not a bad signal to the EU - we're still prepared to play fair, if you are. Can we stop playing silly b8ggers now?

Reading the comments in the BBC story makes it clear that many don't understand exactly what this may mean and are fine using it as a reason to scream at each other.

Fairly depressing, to be honest.

But not necessarily, as you may be implying, all Brexiteers.

I speak as one. I couldn't give a toss what colour the passport is, or who prints it. It is a matter of little importance to me.

It is probably more of an issue to the sorts of remainer who seems to speak on behalf of others and who feels they know why all Brexiteers voted as they did, what they did or did not understand that they were voting for and to what specific demographic grouping they belonged.

I suspect that the only other people for which it is an issue are De La Rue plc, who seem to have made a pig's ear of the tendering process.

The only part of it which sticks a bit is that the French will not allow their passports to be printed outside of their country, so there is a double standard.

However - more fool them.

Ironically, the only people generating noise in the MSM about this non-story are Remainers.

No-one else gives a flying ****.

But hey, maybe we need to have a second vote - since we clearly didn't know that voting Leave meant businesses would continue to operate as businesses.....

Gov went for lowest bid?
Who pays for passports?
You and I?

Seems good to me.

Even as a Remain voter I'm sick of all the stalling and carry on, we might or might not take an economic kicking but it's over ,let's get on with making the best of it come what may.

Ironically, the only people generating noise in the MSM about this non-story are Remainers.

No-one else gives a flying ****.

But hey, maybe we need to have a second vote - since we clearly didn't know that voting Leave meant businesses would continue to operate as businesses.....
Really? The Mail/Express/Telegraph are all remainer newspapers, are they?
They seem to be frothing rather well with quite a few articles and reports on it, all pretty much rabid. And if you read the letters and comments that go with those articles it appears to be a second front opening up.
So not ironically at all and calling for ministers resignations for betraying our new found independence.
Even the Independent has "Brexit leavers in uproar over national humiliation" and the Mail labelling it "a wave of fury as phone-ins and websites were were deluged with protests over the news".
Seems like a few do actually give a flying ****.

Latest Threads