New Poll Out in US Regarding School Security

And the media made fun of the NRA (of which I am not a member or supporter) president's recommendation of armed security in schools. It seems a majority of Americans agree.

Gallup Poll: Majority of Americans approve of the NRA

Fifty-four percent of Americans have a favorable opinion of the National Rifle Association, while 38% have an unfavorable opinion. The public's ratings of the NRA have fluctuated since first measured by Gallup in 1993 -- from a low of 42% favorable in 1995 to a high of 60% in 2005.

The NRA's positions on guns and gun control legislation have received significant attention from media and politicians during the last week after the association's top lobbyist, Wayne LaPierre, held a press conference in the wake of the Newtown school shooting. LaPierre denounced the idea of additional gun control legislation and instead called for armed guards in the nation's schools. The press conference came midway through the field period of this Dec. 19-22 USA Today/Gallup poll.

On a more granular basis, 21% of Americans have a very favorable opinion of the NRA, and 18% have a very unfavorable opinion. These strong opinions have held roughly the same over the years, with the notable exception of 1995, when 26% reported a very unfavorable opinion of the NRA.

NRA Has 54% Favorable Image in U.S.

As a side note, the 54% favorable rating that the NRA has is a point higher than Obama's average favorable rating from recent polls.
And this:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...hts-assault-weapons-newtown-shooting/1791827/

Ask the same question again in six months,would the answers be the same?
Time of course will tell but if I was a betting man, I would not put a lot of money on any extreme "gun control" that will stand up to judicial scrutiny even if it is passed by Congress and signed by Him.

Yep, putting firearms and ammunition in a building with hundreds of children definitely can't go wrong...

Am I alone in thinking that it is a very sad day when an country is more willing to put armed security in schools than to undertake simple reforms in its accounting system for gun ownership? The fact that the NRA's only response to Newtown is a proposition for armed security just further reveals it is an organisation run by martians. Just imagine the reaction if the shooter was a Muslim.

There is a reason why the right to bear arms is the Second Amendment and not the first, yet looking at legislation it is eminently clear that firearms are more exalted than the freedom of religion, speech and assembly. I really don't understand why after Virginia Tech, Aurora and Newtown firearms have remained free from serious regulation, whilst after 9/11 Congress ran over the First Amendment like a freight train. Why is every US intelligence agency able to find out within seconds if you so much as fart offensively in an airport, yet no one seems to know if a child with mental problems has access to a firearm? It defies logic that an organised and efficient intelligence sharing network is imperative for national security, but somehow a similar system for firearms infringes on liberty.

This isn't about guns, this is about common sense. If I can go on a national watch list for aggressive googling, a gun owner should certainly go on a blacklist if they are being an idiot about proper firearm and ammunition storage.

And the media made fun of the NRA (of which I am not a member or supporter) president's recommendation of armed security in schools. It seems a majority of Americans agree.

And this:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...hts-assault-weapons-newtown-shooting/1791827/
Doesn't mean they are right though, just means they are all gung ho f#ckers who watch too many films.

Oh yes, i would just like to add a majority of yanks voted for Obama....need I say more?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

So basically we're having a Groundhog Day of the tedious thread on the shootings from before Xmas which divided us into two camps.

Incidentally, whilst in the supermarket in Horrorford yesterday I clocked The Sun headline story about how 'the same guns used by US fartknocker are legal here! Shock!'

I flicked through a few pages and saw the gratuitous photos of rather un-menacing looking AR replicas which were obviously low calibre UK friendly guns, the sort I increasingly see in my local gun shops.

It kind of made me scoff at how the British public would lap this shit up and assume that the streets are full of Michael Ryans with GPMG's.

So, be careful what ou wish for guys, seems the backlash of our mock horror at this type of crime in a far off land can quite quickly come back and bite us in the arse, hard!!

Time of course will tell but if I was a betting man, I would not put a lot of money on any extreme "gun control" that will stand up to judicial scrutiny even if it is passed by Congress and signed by Him.
I'd be surprised if anything made it out of Congress, let alone gun control legislation.

Yep, putting firearms and ammunition in a building with hundreds of children definitely can't go wrong...

Am I alone in thinking that it is a very sad day when an country is more willing to put armed security in schools than to undertake simple reforms in its accounting system for gun ownership? The fact that the NRA's only response to Newtown is a proposition for armed security just further reveals it is an organisation run by martians. Just imagine the reaction if the shooter was a Muslim.

There is a reason why the right to bear arms is the Second Amendment and not the first, yet looking at legislation it is eminently clear that firearms are more exalted than the freedom of religion, speech and assembly. I really don't understand why after Virginia Tech, Aurora and Newtown firearms have remained free from serious regulation, whilst after 9/11 Congress ran over the First Amendment like a freight train. Why is every US intelligence agency able to find out within seconds if you so much as fart offensively in an airport, yet no one seems to know if a child with mental problems has access to a firearm? It defies logic that an organised and efficient intelligence sharing network is imperative for national security, but somehow a similar system for firearms infringes on liberty.

This isn't about guns, this is about common sense. If I can go on a national watch list for aggressive googling, a gun owner should certainly go on a blacklist if they are being an idiot about proper firearm and ammunition storage.
How would you propose to "account" for the millions of firearms that are present in the US for which there are no records? Making it illegal to possess them will only deprive the law abiding. Criminals, as history shows over and over pay little attention to any gun laws.

So basically we're having a Groundhog Day
Erm....no--merely a report of an interesting survey by a reputable polling firm after the school murders that underscores the complexity and intractability of the issues.

Doesn't mean they are right though, just means they are all gung ho f#ckers who watch too many films.

Oh yes, i would just like to add a majority of yanks voted for Obama....need I say more?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
I would hazard a guess that this majority is a bit different demographically and politically./images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Erm....no--merely a report of an interesting survey by a reputable polling firm after the school murders that underscores the complexity and intractability of the issues.

Oh come on Jar mate...

You know what I meant.

Regardless of your honourable intentions to open a new line of debate (inspired by the discussion/thread I mentioned), you must see that it's the same arguments being made, predominantly by the same people, with the same examples and arguments as the last thread, which in my opinion dragged on at too long as a big handbag waving-fest as it was!

Peace.

How would you propose to "account" for the millions of firearms that are present in the US for which there are no records? Making it illegal to possess them will only deprive the law abiding. Criminals, as history shows over and over pay little attention to any gun laws.

Account is not the same as ban. The lack of accountability in the transfer of guns in the US is one of the things that make it so easy for criminals to get hold of them. Apologists make much of the fact that most guns in crime are "illegal" weapons without mentioning that many of them were "legal" until some "legal" owners sold them to criminals.

Personally I think it's about time that the NRA developed some sort of sense of responsibility. A simple first move would be for them to require that their members stored their weapons securely and took steps to both log the transfer of weapons from owner to owner and make themselves as sure as possible that people they were passing weapons on to were fit and legal.

A second and easy to apply rule would be for people who wanted to buy a gun had to have a couple of referees so that John-no-mates the wannabe mass murderer find it a bit more difficult to get tooled up.

If you arm people at schools it will only be a matter of time before one of THOSE people decides to brass up a classroom. Then the debate will shift to disarming security personnel at school.

Account is not the same as ban. The lack of accountability in the transfer of guns in the US is one of the things that make it so easy for criminals to get hold of them. Apologists make much of the fact that most guns in crime are "illegal" weapons without mentioning that many of them were "legal" until some "legal" owners sold them to criminals.

Personally I think it's about time that the NRA developed some sort of sense of responsibility. A simple first move would be for them to require that their members stored their weapons securely and took steps to both log the transfer of weapons from owner to owner and make themselves as sure as possible that people they were passing weapons on to were fit and legal.

A second and easy to apply rule would be for people who wanted to buy a gun had to have a couple of referees so that John-no-mates the wannabe mass murderer find it a bit more difficult to get tooled up.
I understand the distinction but again ask how you go about "accounting" for the millions of firearms already in circulation--a substantial number of which are no doubt held by criminals already. Furthermore, there is widespread suspicion among many Americans that "accounting for" weapons is the first step in confiscating them.

I understand the distinction but again ask how you go about "accounting" for the millions of firearms already in circulation--a substantial number of which are no doubt held by criminals already. Furthermore, there is widespread suspicion among many Americans that "accounting for" weapons is the first step in confiscating them.

This argument that criminals already have guns?

Did Adam Lanza, Charles Carl Roberts IV or Seung-Hui Cho have criminal records?

I don't know how you go about accounting for all the weapons already in circulation, it's why I don't think that this is a genie that can be forced back into it's bottle.
However: Firstly requiring all gun owners to keep a log book of all the weapons in their possession and to record who they bought them off or sold them to and that they were reasonably satisfied that the purchaser was who they say they are and not and disqualified. Secondly a simple law requiring both safe storage and notification of the loss or theft of any gun would and: Thirdly stiff penalties for those who failed to report stolen or lost guns, failed to ensure they were stored reasonably securely and knowingly or as a consequence of reckless disregard allowed a gun of theirs to be used in crime or passed onto a criminal

Note that none of these require notification of the authorities unless a gun is lost or stolen but it would allow weapons to be traced via a "chain of custody".

On the other hand, if you feel that a few score innocent lives a year is an acceptable price to pay for the status quo then crack on.