New PFT

I have not seen any details of it, but heard it was to include the usual run/sit-ups/press-ups plus a static weight lift (to the height of a 4 tonne tailgate) and a dead weight carry over x distance.

The static weight life (ie: 4 tonne tailgate lift & dead weight, firemans lift over 100 m) is nothing new as it was part of the CFT back in ITC Catterick using the playing field next to the back gate area many years ago but i'm unaware if this still goes on? to add this additional part of the PFT for all personnel would be interesting to say the least,

However after trawling through Armynet there is nothing new apart from the usual moaning from personnel struggling to pass, I do agree that a revised improved PFT would be refreshing, even the bleep test is basic bog standard but not all units use this system.

I love to hear the moans and groans of ppl trying to pass the PFA and AFT, however they have all gone to the 4 winds on our mannor, with the introduction on the New Operational Fitness Tests, they make the PFA and CFT/AFT looking like a walk in the Park!!

It is defo showing the true level of fitness and determination of our troops in our neck of the worlds :)

"Coming Soon to a Trg Area Near You!"

I love to hear the moans and groans of ppl trying to pass the PFA and AFT, however they have all gone to the 4 winds on our mannor, with the introduction on the New Operational Fitness Tests, they make the PFA and CFT/AFT looking like a walk in the Park!!

It is defo showing the true level of fitness and determination of our troops in our neck of the worlds :)

"Coming Soon to a Trg Area Near You!"
I don't think the OFT is mandatory to pass though.

I am not sure on the ruling stacker1, but the tests are mandatory for our Unit that will deploy next year, so I think the name is on the tin Operational, not to get mixed up with the normal mandatory PFA & CFT tests.

The blokes are passing the tests without any problems, but that is because of the quality QMSI and PTI's that are conducting effective build up training, rather than put a load of weight on Day One and run until people break!

Since the new training programme (Science Based) we have had the lowest injuries for years, but the guys are carrying heavier weight with longer distances.

"Method in the Madness there"

I think that we should have a yearly maths and English test, increasing in difficulty for each ram. Officers should be required to produce a service paper.

I think that we should have a yearly maths and English test, increasing in difficulty for each ram. Officers should be required to produce a service paper.
Should have proper Maths and English entry tests based on trade when in basic perhaps.

Dingerr why you picking on Rams? Poor creatures, maybe a bit of England training required there :)

Should have proper Maths and English entry tests based on trade when in basic perhaps.
All soldiers are required to reach a set level for promotion. Therfore it regular testing to ensure personnel are maintaining the appropriate level.

There is a plan for all Sgts and above to be at least English and Maths level 2 before they are allowed Promotion but not sure when that has to come in/ However that opens the question with regards to the rest of the SNCO/WO fraternity, will they also have to attain that standard and if not what then?

The only training I see the Officers doing is an Essay from the Bde Comd being sent to all Junior Officers, besides that it is all Adhoc!

There is a plan for all Sgts and above to be at least English and Maths level 2 before they are allowed Promotion but not sure when that has to come in/ However that opens the question with regards to the rest of the SNCO/WO fraternity, will they also have to attain that standard and if not what then?

The only training I see the Officers doing is an Essay from the Bde Comd being sent to all Junior Officers, besides that it is all Adhoc!
A total spastic could pass english and maths level two, I'd expect a 13 years to pass it. As most of it is multiple choice a chimpanzee could get lucky, hit the right buttons and pass.

Bloody Hell stacker you need to see the literacy and numercy levels we are currently at, the figures are quiet bare faced reading, and unless you are carrying out the formulas such as SDT on a weekly or monthly basis, then it falls out, I am lucky getting smashed with OU study and it is part of my daily life:(

The Unit is getting better but they are a long way off from a 40% Unit Pass on both!

Bloody Hell stacker you need to see the literacy and numercy levels we are currently at, the figures are quiet bare faced reading, and unless you are carrying out the formulas such as SDT on a weekly or monthly basis, then it falls out, I am lucky getting smashed with OU study and it is part of my daily life:(

The Unit is getting better but they are a long way off from a 40% Unit Pass on both!
I help people (From SNCO downwards) pass their maths tests, I'm not a teacher, I don't hold an A-level at maths, its just very basic stuff that anyone can pick up in a few weeks. It should happen right at the start of basic training so either people get the help they need or they are steered away from trades needing a bit of basic maths.

In addition to what's already been mentioned, I'd also like to see a structured series of courses and regular testing which develops and hones an individual's ability to write SJARs/MPARs. Some of the SJARs I've received/seen over the years have been absolutely shocking to say the least. How can those sat on a promotion board take a soldier's appraisal seriously when it looks like it's been written by a child?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
msr Army Reserve 62
machiavelli Health and Fitness 1
wellyhead Health and Fitness 6