New permanent base in Bahrain

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yes but being tucked up in your own bed on a gin palace doesn't count.....;)
Should have tried harder in school..........

Choose your service, take your chances.....

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I was there in '62. RAF Muharraq.

I distinctly remember 'hooning about on Sheiks beach after a mornings hard graft with the crayons.

I was 4.

Do people realise that this is about firming up what is already in place, not establishing something new? The RN has been there for many years.
As you say, the RN has had a base in Bahrain for the past eight years. This was published on the RN website in January 2013:

Six of the best from Navy minehunters as they mark Gulf milestone

"ROYAL Navy minehunters are marking six years of keeping the waters of the Gulf safe – and maintaining the UK’s global lead in dealing with the still-present threat of mines. Since the end of 2006, Britain has maintained a permanent minehunter presence in the region – initially two ships, since 2008 a four-strong force...

The mission began with Her Majesty’s Ships Ramsey and Blyth; come early 2008 it was decided the force – then known as Operation Aintree, today the ships come under the broad banner of the UK’s east of Suez mission, Operation Kipion – should be bolstered with a pair of Hunt-class ships to join the Sandowns.

Enter Her Majesty’s Ships Atherstone and Chiddingfold, plus a Royal Fleet Auxiliary ‘mother ship’ (presently RFA Cardigan Bay), which acts as a command and engineering ship and base for the Fleet Diving Squadron, who are experts in clearing mines in very shallow waters. To sustain four warships in Bahrain, there’s a permanent engineering staff in port, the ship’s companies are rotated every six to seven months (Ramsey and Quorn’s latest crews return home in mid-January, while those aboard Atherstone and Shoreham are just settling in to their new surroundings).

As for the ships themselves, they’re brought home (7,500 miles for the Portsmouth-based Hunts, a couple of hundred more for the Sandowns based on the Clyde) for a refit every three to three and a half years."​

The RN bit of the base at Mina Salman in Bahrain, currently used by RN minehunters on Operation KIPION, is only now being being formalised. The base was known as HMS JUFAIR, home to the ships of the 9th Minesweeper Squadron (9th MSS), renamed the 9th MCM Squadron (9th MCMS) in 1969 when its minesweepers were joined by minehunters, from 7 Nov 1955 to 15 Dec 1971.

The base was known as HMS JUFAIR, home to the ships of the 9th Minesweeper Squadron (9th MSS), renamed the 9th MCM Squadron (9th MCMS) in 1969 when its minesweepers were joined by minehunters, from 7 Nov 1955 to 15 Dec 1971.
In the Sixties, HMS Jufair was also home to the Amphibious Warfare Squadron consisting of a Headquarters ship (HMS Meon, the forerunner to the Assault ships, Intrepid and Fearless) and a collection of LSTs and LCTs. There was a tank squadron (5 Innis DG at one time) whose tanks stayed aboard the LSTs apart from Amphibious Landing exercises on other islands in the Gulf together with the PARA on rotation to Bahrain. The RE also had their Beach Troop stationed there.

In the Sixties, HMS Jufair was also home to the Amphibious Warfare Squadron consisting of a Headquarters ship (HMS Meon, the forerunner to the Assault ships, Intrepid and Fearless) and a collection of LSTs and LCTs. There was a tank squadron (5 Innis DG at one time) whose tanks stayed aboard the LSTs apart from Amphibious Landing exercises on other islands in the Gulf together with the PARA on rotation to Bahrain. The RE also had their Beach Troop stationed there.
Them were the days.

Are you sure it was Meon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Meon_(K269)

I was intrigued, and looked her up. But wiki says she never left UK after conversion.

Last edited:
Them were the days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Meon_(K269)

I was intrigued, and looked her up. But wiki says she never left UK after conversion.
Contrary to popular belief, Wiki's not always accurate. HMS Meon was re-activated in 1952 and saw active service in the Suez campaign of 1956 and with the Amphibious Warfare Squadron in the Persian Gulf before being paid off in 1965 (link).

From the Royal Marines Museum website (link):

Amphibious Warfare Squadron
In the 1950s and 1960s the Mediterranean fleet had an Amphibious Warfare Squadron which was employed in landing commandos and army troops for operations and exercises. The Headquarters Ship HMS Meon carried a naval and RM operational staff. Ships serving in the Squadron included at various times: LST(Assault)s Reggio and Striker, each with an RM Assault Squadron of eight LCAs; and the Mark 8 LSTs Bastion and Redoubt. In the Suez operation and elsewhere, the Squadron was reinforced being joined by other LST(A)s and LSTs.
The Squadron and its successors operated in the Persian Gulf landing tanks and army troops as well as RM Commandos. But once the LPDs and LPHs were established as the royal navy’s principal assault ships, the Mediterranean Squadron was disbanded. However, a number of LSTs were operated by the royal corps of Transport until the late 1970s.​

From the World Naval Ships website (link):

HMS MEON DETAILS.jpg

From the Naval Review Volume XLIX No. 4 (Oct 1961) page 399:

Operation Vantage

Commandos in 'First Wave'

The fact that the Bulwark was so readily available enabled 42 Commando to be put ashore in Kuwait inside twenty-four hours of the Ruler's request for help. The following day 45 Commando was flown up from Aden, so the Commandos were properly in the 'first wave'. This was particularly valuable because of difficulties which hampered flying in reinforcements from outside the theatre. The build-up to a balanced force of approximately 5,700 men was completed in nine days and was considered a very satisfactory achievement in the circumstances.

Headquarters Ship

The duties of headquarters ship and communications link with the land forces was carried out throughout the operation by H.M.S. Meon.​

my job in Bahrain in 1970 was driving the pads wives to the sheiks beach and drinking stims all afternoon,
life was hell ..you weren't there man.
then I had to go to Sharjah for a month and actually had to turn in a days work.

Call me cynical but does this mean MOD defence budget will increase in real terms now this is an official strategic FMB ?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Definitely was.
There was also a US element there in the form of USS Greenwich Bay, unusually painted overall in white.
It was supposed to be the flagship of the USN's CinC in that area but it may well have been a
cover for an intelligence-gatherer like the USS Pueblo that the N Koreans captured, and the other
ship whose name escapes me at the moment, but which was sunk by the Israelis.

You may be thinking of the USS Liberty which was shot up by the Israelis "by accident" in 1967 during the Six Day War. It was not sunk however.

The USS Liberty incident was an attack on a United States Navy technical research ship, USS Liberty, by Israeli Air Force jet fighter aircraft and Israeli Navy motor torpedo boats, on 8 June 1967, during the Six-Day War.[3] The combined air and sea attack killed 34 crew members (naval officers, seamen, two Marines, and one civilian), wounded 171 crew members, and severely damaged the ship.[4] At the time, the ship was in international waters north of the Sinai Peninsula, about 25.5 nmi (29.3 mi; 47.2 km) northwest from the Egyptian city of Arish.[1][5]

q98929

Crow
Ex-HMS YARNTON Sparker ("Bleep") here. YARNTON belonged to 9 Mine Counter Measure Squadron based at HMS JUFAIR, Bahrein. Following an early-70s (?) refit at Singapore, she was based at Hong Kong. My next draft was HMS INTREPID, which Commander British Forces Gulf embarked, and "assisted" the British pull-out from the Gulf.

USS DAHLGREN (known to us as the "Great White Whale") was the U.S.N. vessel during my time. We exchanged visitors regularly, they for our tots of rum and we for their steaks, ice-cream and Zippo lighters.

I see Hammond was in Bahrain yesterday for the groundbreaking ceremony. I'd put a link to the Daily Mail article, but I can't be arrsed.

jim30

LE
If we judge every country by the standards of the Guardian sneering mastabatori elite, we'd never talk to anyone.

If you want to be listened to in the Middle East, get inside the tent, be trusted, be friendly and be the person that can whisper discretely 'have you thought about doing something slightly differently' - shouting loudly, making people look bad in a culture where pride and station dominates anything else is a surefire way to be ignored.

Bahrain has been a friend of the UK for 200 years, they are VERY good to us, and we get a great deal in strategic access and value. There are ways and means to have challenging conversations, but suddenly refusing to talk to your friends and pompously preaching human rights isn't the way to do it if you want to effect real change.

If we judge every country by the standards of the Guardian sneering mastabatori elite, we'd never talk to anyone.
Hey, it's sex with someone I love...

philc

LE
Ex-HMS YARNTON Sparker ("Bleep") here. YARNTON belonged to 9 Mine Counter Measure Squadron based at HMS JUFAIR, Bahrein. Following an early-70s (?) refit at Singapore, she was based at Hong Kong. My next draft was HMS INTREPID, which Commander British Forces Gulf embarked, and "assisted" the British pull-out from the Gulf.

USS DAHLGREN (known to us as the "Great White Whale") was the U.S.N. vessel during my time. We exchanged visitors regularly, they for our tots of rum and we for their steaks, ice-cream and Zippo lighters.
Smallish world, I was part of the last crew on Yarnton out in HK

This base is a good move, we are going to be in the region for the long run, even if it's only as an advisory capacity and mine clearance, keeping the sea lanes clear role. The Beeb and Guardinistas are fools who have no insight.

If you want to be listened to in the Middle East, get inside the tent, be trusted, be friendly and be the person that can whisper discretely 'have you thought about doing something slightly differently' - shouting loudly, making people look bad in a culture where pride and station dominates anything else is a surefire way to be ignored.

Bahrain has been a friend of the UK for 200 years, they are VERY good to us, and we get a great deal in strategic access and value. There are ways and means to have challenging conversations, but suddenly refusing to talk to your friends and pompously preaching human rights isn't the way to do it if you want to effect real change.
I have lived in China for the last 21 years and that paragraph could apply here too. Respect their culture, no matter where in the world, and far more can be achieved. Shouting about "human rights" achieves the opposite effect to what you want to get across.

Latest Threads