New permanent base in Bahrain

Were we not jumping up and down a year ago about their 'ummin rights' record?
Yup - makes you wonder what our betters are thinking and how the idea of a military presence there will go down with the locals. The minority ruling class will feel safer but I don't think the majority will be too chuffed.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
At least the RAF won't be there whinging about having to slum it!

jim30

LE
Its interesting for a couple of reasons. Mainly because it formalises the dirty little secret that UK presence in the region since 71 has been officially 'temporary' or 'operationally linked'. In other words, we weren't there because it was there, we were there because it was linked to a named Op.

Now its a clear declaration that we are in town permanently, and I suspect it will lead to subtle but important funding changes on how the area is manned and supported.

In reality it is about formalising the extant set up into slightly better buildings, and taking what is a temporary area and making it permanent. Its not about creating the next Portsmouth, although I'm sure others will see it that way.

For way of comparison, the US, French and Australians all operate facilities of a similar size and scope in region already.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

One slight question I have is how it will be manned - AR or PMC?
I don't think much thought has gone in to how the security of the base will be maintained given we seem to be handing out P45s to all and sundry at a massive rate of knots.

jim30

LE
The base is within an extant bahraini and us facility.

One slight question I have is how it will be manned - AR or PMC?
I don't think much thought has gone in to how the security of the base will be maintained given we seem to be handing out P45s to all and sundry at a massive rate of knots.
And were having to get seconded USCG and French Navy Engineers and Mechs to keep the Navy going. (Nelson must be revolving at speed about the last one) In my own opinion, I think its bordering on criminal what has been done regarding the defence of the nation.

sguyw

LE
Will it be the same one that we used in Gulf War 1 when the Jags went there

Bahrain is an awesome night on the piss so it's not all bad. Only spoilt by a couple of thousand Saudis hitting it every weekend.

Andrew advance party arrive July 7th 2015.....Warblers bar put out of bounds July 8th 2015.

sguyw

LE
Andrew advance party arrive July 7th 2015.....Warblers bar put out of bounds July 8th 2015.
I will have to ask my dad about that one, he was posted there in '71

Wouldn't be surprised if our boats (submarines) have not been calling in there previously as well as Fujairah....

jim30

LE
Do people realise that this is about firming up what is already in place, not establishing something new? The RN has been there for many years.

But did we run up a union flag? That'll be the first thing Andrew will do. Wonder who will be "SNOB"?
The last time is saw a SNOB was in Bardufoss...

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Do people realise that this is about firming up what is already in place, not establishing something new? The RN has been there for many years.

Shame on you. We all know the only operational tasking has been HERRICK and Iraq. It's not like a greater percentage of naval service personnel has been on ops than the other two services, no sire.

Yes but being tucked up in your own bed on a gin palace doesn't count.....;)
Shame on you. We all know the only operational tasking has been HERRICK and Iraq. It's not like a greater percentage of naval service personnel has been on ops than the other two services, no sire.

Latest Threads