New PCS Smock

Went diffy a smock today after cutting one up for helmet scrim........ I was pleasantly surprised to be issued what I assume is a version 2 of the PCS smock, it feels a thinner material, less Velcro on the blanking plates and smock itself and thinner fleece in the pockets (it seems to be the same as the stuff in the issue buffalo). Oh and a thicker more robust looking net inside, I might give this one a chance as it seems ok.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

PCS is truly shit. The development team want bullf-cking. The smock is the worst of it all. The lightweight jacket would be about tolerable if it wasn't for the stupid pockets and velcro on the sleeves - and having to wear it tucked in. Trousers are shit. Mesh pockets? CDT wasn't happening in the development unit!

In fact while we're on the subject the only decent thing about it is the camouflage pattern. However, the benefits of this are negated by having it made to the lowest, cheapest, nastiest standard in china so it fades to a pale grey after a few washes. Utter dogshit.

So then Ex_Stab, I take it your not a fan of PCS then?

STILTS

Mine managed a tour worth of laundry and the only real damage was the holes in the back of the jacket from the cocking handle rubbing?

The temperate stuff has survived the wife's best efforts too. To date.

Ex stab - the mesh has been massively improved and it is there for an actual reason - it dries nice and quick

Ex stab - the mesh has been massively improved and it is there for an actual reason - it dries nice and quick

Pencil in mesh pocket? Pokes a hole and falls through. Pocket knife in mesh pocket? Snags and tears a hole. It's just a really bad idea.

Pencil in mesh pocket? Pokes a hole and falls through. Pocket knife in mesh pocket? Snags and tears a hole. It's just a really bad idea.
The new mesh would stop a pencil as it's thicker then the original stuff but i would advise against open knives I a pocket anyway.........

Why would you put either of those items in a mesh pocket? Just sounds like gash drills to me.
Why does the OP need to cut up a smock for scrim, don't the helmet covers come pre-scrimmed now?

Why would you put either of those items in a mesh pocket? Just sounds like gash drills to me.
Why does the OP need to cut up a smock for scrim, don't the helmet covers come pre-scrimmed now?

No they don't come 'pre scrimmed' you can get net to put scrim onto through the system but otherwise it's make your own

No they don't come 'pre scrimmed' you can get net to put scrim onto through the system but otherwise it's make your own

You get a bag of it as part of the Osprey full issue. If I could be arsed I would dig a bag out with the NSN on, but I can't.

You get a bag of it as part of the Osprey full issue. If I could be arsed I would dig a bag out with the NSN on, but I can't.
Yep that lasted about two mins, our battalion want a heavily scrimmed net using only mtp material so you have to cut up clothing I used a shirt, trousers and a jacket.
ImageUploadedByARRSE1400937296.889080.jpg

It took eight ******* hours but after a load of my blokes got picked up I needed a - this is how I want it example......

It's my outside cupboard on a wet day with three dogs, you utter ****.

I've started wearing my CS95 UOR smock (The MTP type but CS95 cut) as it is a better material for summer weather. The shirt/jackets are made of a horrendously thick hot material and the arms are too long so I have to get every shirt tailored. I am wearing a size greater than the smock and goretex because the sizing and cut are abnormal! but I've found the trousers are very light, comfortable and well designed, although I'd have put the zipped pocket on the right. I've recently bought 3 tropical weight shirt/jackets off ebay for comfort, but again had to go size up to 200 in length and 112 chest and get the arm length tailored too. At 190 the arms are too short!

(At least with 200 length I'll have something to tuck in when the fuckwittery begins)

This uniform or CS95 before it has never been very comfortable in the summer.

The camo pattern is excellent though.

Anyone seen a cotton gaberdine MTP windproof yet? Contemplating getting one of these:
http://www.army-surplus.co.uk/catal.../sas-mtp-erebis-windproof-smock/category/156/

Last edited:
I've started wearing my CS95 UOR smock (The MTP type but CS95 cut) as it is a better material for summer weather. The shirt/jackets are made of a horrendously thick hot material and the arms are too long so I have to get every shirt tailored. I am wearing a size greater than the jacket and goretex because the sizing and cut are abnormal! but I've found the trousers are very light, comfortable and well designed, although I'd have put the zipped pocket on the right. I've recently bought 3 tropical weight shirt/jackets off ebay for comfort, but again had to go size up in length and chest and get the arm length tailored too.

This uniform or CS95 before it has never been very comfortable in the summer.

The camo pattern is excellent though.

Anyone seen a cotton gaberdine MTP windproof yet? Contemplating getting one of these:
http://www.army-surplus.co.uk/catal.../sas-mtp-erebis-windproof-smock/category/156/

Wouldn't mind a garbadine but this new pcs smock is more like the UOR one in terms of material + the sizing is much improved

Anyone seen a cotton gaberdine MTP windproof yet?
Yes, the nice man in the stores gave me one (NSN 8415 99 418 3326 before you ask). Fine for mincing about camp or a bit of light hillwalking, but the issue smock is much better for soldiering.

Yes, the nice man in the stores gave me one (NSN 8415 99 418 3326 before you ask). Fine for mincing about camp or a bit of light hillwalking, but the issue smock is much better for soldiering.
Would that cover standing on a range shouting 'prone position down' etc? Then I'll take 2!

I have no need of apparel for soldiering.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Military Clothing & Boots 4
Cpt_Darling Military Clothing & Boots 4
Boxy Military Clothing & Boots 10