New pc advice

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by osta, Nov 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I am currently thinking about getting a new machine, my current one is a few years old and I am looking for something a bit quicker.

I take and store a lot of photos and also run photoshop, apart from that its just used for regular stuff (no gaming)

Can anyone give me some pointers as to what spec I should be looking at as I am a bit out of touch on whats available.

I am fairly computer savvy and not afraid of building my own machine, I could just do with a bit of advice.
    Im not looking to spend fortunes but I want to do this the right way.

Thanks in advance :D

Osta

2. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

If that is the case, don't look at getting a new machine, just upgrade the key bits - processor / memory / motherboard. It depends on what your current specs are, as to what you have to change.

What are your current specs? (processor, memory type/speed)

3. As already mentioned, no real need for a new PC for what you do. Though I believe photoshop is one of the few apps to make good use of multicore already, so perhaps a motherboard, Dual or Quad Core CPU (they are a lot cheaper than you might imagine), bigger hard disk(s), mid range graphics card, sorted! If your really not into modern games, then the ATI 1950 Pro is a great bargain, its DX9 only, but a year ago was top of the range, now available for £100

4. Thanks for the info guys,

Tango, will pm you with my specs when I get in from work as I would appreciate you input.

IT, that site looks pretty interesting as well, thanks.

Osta

5. msr

msr LE

6. Tango,

Check pms, message sent.

osta

7. Lads,

I've got around £800 to spend on a new rig, and im looking for something that is going to play games in 3 years time. I've got a contact who supplies DELL systems, and is speccing me both an XPS Rig and an XPS Laptop for that price.

Just wondering, am i going to be better off going elsewhere?

SparkySteve

8. You need one of them "new" quantum processors mate.

9. Dual or Quad?

10. As this seems to be a PC thread can anyone tell me how you get the flying aircraft bit on Google Earth? I read somewhere that it can be done, but I have lost the instructions

11. Yoyotech Intel Viper MKII

£712.00 inc vat

PC Format reccomends as a machine you can run any current game at 1650x1050 with everything turned up.

12. Multiple....apparently.

13. P_T, looks good, but the one im going to be specced by my supplier is going to have more RAM, a monitor, keyboard and rodent for a hundred pounds more....

Basically, i want to be able to play Crysis or Call Of Duty 4 at top whack, with the extras said for about £850 tops

14. Spookly enough there is an indepth article on Google earth in tis months PC pro. It says to access the Flight simulator - "Load Google earth, then before you touch anything else hit Ctrl-Alt-A or if that doesnt work Ctrl-Windowskey-A