New pair of boots (Brown)

I have purchased a pair of Low Combat GTX boots in MOD Brown and would like to know how to maintain them. I'm a little confused on how to do this after reading the Lowa care article on there UK website as I have been told not to polish them and that if you don't get the right stuff they go purple, so could you guys help me please?

Modern treated leather boots don't really need polishing very often - just cleaning and re-proofing. But don't try and persuade a Sergeant Major (any type) of this.

The two Altberg polishes, Leder Gris and Leder Gloss, seem to work reasonably well. Use when needed (i.e. either when the boots get damp, as per the Lowa instructions, or when you know you are going to get shouted or sneered at ...)

The Kiwi is purported to make the Altberg boots, at least, turn purple. I've not seen it myself but that's not even evidence agin ...

I've only seen the boots discolour because people have picked up a brown tin of Kiwi polish that is actually Dark Tan (only one sold in Tesco/Sainsburys). Easily done because it's the only brown-looking tin there, but using it makes the boots go a dark red and looks absolutely shite.

I got some polish with the YDS Kestrels that works on the Altbergs too. It's actually a wax, but brings up a good shine regardless without making it look like I'm wearing red snakeskin boots.

Mattb

LE
My other half, her brother and I all have brown Altbergs - she uses mid-tan Kiwi and they look fine except for the scuffs coming out really dark, he uses dark tan which apparently turns them purple to begin with but then they look fine and I use Leder Gris which comes out looking a bit greasy but otherwise like my missuses boots - but mine are waterproof as feck.

Talking out of my bum, via a mobile telephone.

I had some of this stuff come with my boots. 6 months later, they're still the original colour.
6cc77caffd46d4b33ef82695426ff4a2.jpg

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
I've decided that after spending £5 on the smallest possible jar of 'real' brown shoe polish in the known world, I am going to just use Kiwi brown and they can purple the fuck up for all I care. Actually, the more purpley they turn out, the better. I'm a volunteer, not a full time part - timer, and these boot treatment creams are fecking extortion.

Talon

Old-Salt
I've decided that after spending £5 on the smallest possible jar of 'real' brown shoe polish in the known world, I am going to just use Kiwi brown and they can purple the fuck up for all I care. Actually, the more purpley they turn out, the better. I'm a volunteer, not a full time part - timer, and these boot treatment creams are fecking extortion.

Or just use ledergris. I bought some for £4.49 in March 2013 and am still on the first tin. You don't need a lot. That way you don't spend a lot and they don't turn purple.

Don't worry I have seen black boots turn a bluely purple colour, the RSM's face went bright purple in rage my mates 'cough' face went bright red in exertion when doubling to the Guard Room.

Note to self; do not paint your best boots with RAF nose cone paint, (other type of cheats available) and wear them on a damp day.

Latest Threads