New online uniform website

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Fraser, May 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Link

This sounds almost too good to be true. I checked the date on the article, it was not released on April 1st.

2. Done on a points system so cannot just order the whole lot!

3. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Looks like a great idea - no more trying to get to the clothing store during their bizarre opening hours only to find they are out of stock.

4. msr

msr LE

Although they have fallen into the trap of calling it the "New Clothing Solution" :)

msr

5. Yes, instead you will only have to wait X-amount of days for kit you need immediately. Then when you do get it if its the wrong size or even wrong type of kit you wait around a bit longer until it can be sent back and replacement comes.
    Using my psychic powers I predict a large amount of people suddenly needing an essential bit of kit that is impossible to do without the day before a major exercise.

6. msr

msr LE

The new clothing website can only be accessed via the single Service protected websites

Does this mean armynet or DII?

msr

7. Just had a look and it's on Armynet, but then only to the 3000 that are part of the trial. I'll have to wait for the new boots my store hasn't got then.

8. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Big warehouse with lots of stuff versus small store with bad attitude ...... I'll take my chances!

9. Have you ever had to deal with Bicester or Donnington? The civvies run the place, I'm sure you will be seeing (or hearing) some more bad attitude real soon.
    If your own store is crap then they need a kick ***********.
    It is (as always) being done to save money, its not being done to help out the people who use the service. Even Amazon, a company worth billions, that uses expensive computer systems and needs its customers gets it wrong sometimes, now compare that to the MOD with its made and run by the cheapest bidder systems, staffed by people who are going to get paid regardless of the service they provide. I'm betting, after its cost the MOD a fortune, regiments start demanding the old system back.

10. IIRC the US Armed forces have a similar system which works well by all accounts.

There are scaled items which you are entitled to, on a regular basis but you can buy at DofD cost as many additional and optional items as you want, and it is then deducted from next months salary.

I would hope that the MOD adopt the same system/software/IT provider. But looking at past MOD IT projects, I wouldnt build up my hopes if I were you!

If it means we can get rid of a certain fcuking-useless-drunken-counting-down-to-a-pension-FTRS-LE- commissioned wankstain of a CQM, it will be huge improvement for me.

11. It is a bit of a daft idea - a new software system that isn't anything to do with the other logs systems being developed. Well - good idea but not well thought through or really thought about.

12. Actually, this is one of those rarities, an example of joined up thinking [thats if, as walt-of-the-walts mentions, they follow the U.S. model].

The questions I would ask would be;
    Is it just clothing on the allocation, or personal equipment [webbing etc] as well?
    Will it be run by civvies or a 'super-storeman/bow-wow'?
    What happens to the serviceman who gets his kit allocation then sells it down the local surplus store and continues to wear his worn out kit?
    What happens at 'end of service', do you get to keep everything?

Discuss

13. Would it not be based on a one-for-one basis?

14. No my friend, you have not grasped the principle. The whole idea is that you have an allocation of 'points' which you then use to 'buy' your kit which is sent direct to your place of work. With no requirement to hand in your own kit.

15. We have been told (which of course means it might have been made up) that you can hand your old stuff into the QMs as normal, so if anyone has the idea of getting the new stuff and flogging it on, it won't matter because it will all still be on their kit list, so when then do leave the army they will have to hand it all back (or be billed).
    Not that I would know of course but should you still have a a large amount of points at the end of the year you could buy a load of cheap ripped tat from an army/navy store, order the same brand new stuff (for selling on a certain internet auction site) then hand the tat into the QMs.