New old age pension

I’m assuming that, aged 48, the goalposts will have moved before I get a pension off HMG.

A bit irritating as my Army and CS pensions total 22 years or so (combined in to CS at SEO grade). I just can’t see the next 12-15 years panning our in such a way as to retain the value of that, nor the State pension.

I’m expecting to be cheated.

Bit of a stupid query really, but yesterday I received a letter, allegedly from, DWP, inviting me to apply for my State Pension, which becomes eligible in June. They have advised me to go online and answer some questions, including Bank Details and NI Number. They have also asked me to fill in details of any work or living abroad.

First of all, does this sound like normal procedure, or is it a Phishing Scam? I am not keen, as a matter of principle, to divulge personal information over the Internet.

Secondly, in completing periods living and working abroad, do postings in BAOR, Belgium, Cyprus and Belize count for this purpose, as Service with HM Forces and should be annotated accordingly?

Thank You in advance for any help and assistance you may be able to furnish.
No it's standard procedure through a system known as Gateway. You should get a letter from them with a code via the DWP website IIRC. I didn't like it personally but I'm quite clear it's secure-just daft.

Update and maybe a warning.

Received my letter saying I can pay class 2 until it stops in 2020.

Informed me that I owe 8 years so paid up the 1200 quid for the missing years on the 02 May.

Calling today was put through to a man, Jim on the help desk.

Great help.

Turns out that the Army opted out of SERPS. So I / we/ you paid 1% less than others into your pension.

Of the 8 years missing only two will count, 2015/2016 and 2016/2017.

The rest , about 800 quid is a total waste. Will be contacting them via letter asking for my cash back.

Jim mentioned it would be better to save up the cash for the 8 missing years and pay it as a lump sum in 2030, as I will get the pension in 2031.

Also as a junior I got my NI number/ card from the pay office. Is it just coincidence that my NI number has the last three of my Army number in it? Anyone else have the same?

Turns out that the Army opted out of SERPS. So I / we/ you paid 1% less than others into your pension.
So in effect they did what Cand E did in 97 when CS changed from Serps to the new version and Classic. Point if you got what you paid into NI written down as T's and C's contractualy and you were not notified of any changes in writing you could try the Pensions Parliamentary Ombudsman. You need to get your MP to back you, but it's really down to contracts. Also check any P60's you have to see what box they've put your NI in.
Cand E were stuffed

I’m assuming that, aged 48, the goalposts will have moved before I get a pension off HMG.

A bit irritating as my Army and CS pensions total 22 years or so (combined in to CS at SEO grade). I just can’t see the next 12-15 years panning our in such a way as to retain the value of that, nor the State pension.

I’m expecting to be cheated.
I am of the same mindset as you, mate. I'm 46 just now, and I fully expect that by the time I hit 70, the State Retirement Age will be north of 75. As such, the state pension doesn't feature in my financial calculations at all.

Luckily for me, my pension from the military will be c£37k at 55 and, if I extend to MEOS 60 (which I'm unlikely to) then that becomes £49700. F***ing result.

So in effect they did what Cand E did in 97 when CS changed from Serps to the new version and Classic. Point if you got what you paid into NI written down as T's and C's contractualy and you were not notified of any changes in writing you could try the Pensions Parliamentary Ombudsman. You need to get your MP to back you, but it's really down to contracts. Also check any P60's you have to see what box they've put your NI in.
Cand E were stuffed
Unfortunately, nobody in the Regular Army signed a contract with specific terms and conditions. All we did is agree to serve in return for benefits as determined by the MOD.

Unfortunately, nobody in the Regular Army signed a contract with specific terms and conditions. All we did is agree to serve in return for benefits as determined by the MOD.
All i signed aged 15 was a 22 year engagement. Aged 18 changed to 9 years on a open engagement. So not a contract as such,just a A4 onesided piece of paper
Nothing about T&C's
Aged 15 in 1972
Aged 18 in 1974

Gulp , I currently need around four times the state pension to live ,pass the mess revolver .....

All i signed aged 15 was a 22 year engagement. Aged 18 changed to 9 years on a open engagement. So not a contract as such,just a A4 onesided piece of paper
Nothing about T&C's
Aged 15 in 1972
Aged 18 in 1974

A former Harrogate Boy I shared a room with in 9 Sigs got called in to the admin office one day.

Apparently they’d messed up the aperwork and, technically, he wasn’t sort of actually in the Army at all.

They gave him forms to sign up for 22- he had the wit to refuse, saying ‘you can’t tell me what to do I’m not in the Army’ and agreed on 6 years.

Didn’t do him any harm; he became one of Them later.

S.N.A.F.U. Soldiers National Armed Forces Union.

Formed at BFPO 107 in 1979, which created a shit storm, and was finally stamped out with extreme prejudice by the hosifers However, it seems that with transgender, gays, split arses, and all manor of oddballs and weirdoes manning the ramparts, now's a good time to resurrect it again.

Last edited:
Cand E were stuffed
I kept a Rottweilleresque death grip on my Classic pension in HMCE, despite all blandishments to transfer to the new system. My view was that if senior management are pushing the new one as fantastic, it'll actually be crap. Bailed out early and receiving a pleasant sum every month, easily enough for my needs.
I do however feel for the new kids in the job-it's a crock and their future pensions are gash.

According to the Government Web Site, The Full Amount, of the New State Pension is around £165, but having just received my State Pension prediction from DWP, it is actually around £140, paid every four weeks in arrears. I checked this out, and was told that the higher figure is the amount a married couple are likely to receive. The figure I was given appears to be correct for a single man.

Luckily, together with both an Army Pension and Reduced Civil Service Pension to survive on, I should be OK.

According to the Government Web Site, The Full Amount, of the New State Pension is around £165, but having just received my State Pension prediction from DWP, it is actually around £140, paid every four weeks in arrears. I checked this out, and was told that the higher figure is the amount a married couple are likely to receive. The figure I was given appears to be correct for a single man.

Luckily, together with both an Army Pension and Reduced Civil Service Pension to survive on, I should be OK.
I think the SP is per individual now, and has no additional portion if you're married.

Thought i would get the full state pension as the forecast is spot on. but no, page down the page and in the COE section I lose £40 a week because of contracting out of SERPs
I do have a old pension pot of £179k which has a GMP of £5k at 65, however I want to can this and transfer it to a income draw down pot.
So I will lose the GMP, which is there to counter the £40 a week, but I think I can use the £179k in a better product
Having a chat to my IFA soon about it

Apologies for grammar, spellings etc had rotator cuff surgery yesterday and typing left handed