New No 10 Petition regarding Wootton Bassett

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Sappersmum, Jan 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Please look at the attached link regarding renaming a street in Wootton Bassett to reflect the route home our fallen take. I live near Wootton Bassett and try to attend as many repatriations I can.

This has been done in Canada and reflects the local thoughts about the Canadian Heroes.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/homepage/

Many thanks.

2. Nice idea, but surely it may be best taking it up with the local council, also the link doesn't work.

3. Sorry, don't know why but try this
    http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/homage/

Maybe you are right about the council thing but surely it wouldn't hurt to sign the petition which will perhaps prove to Wootton Bassett that the public respect the town folk for what they do for our brave fallen.

Just MHO

4. "Highway of Heroes"???? Are you kidding???!

5. Everyone is obviously entitled to an opinion. People are signing. It is your choice not to if you don't feel it appropriate.

6. Dont crayon all over it fellas. If you want to sign it, do. If not leave it alone. Ta.

7. I think it's a great idea. I personally think the name could be better though. "Highway of Heroes" sounds a bit cheesy.

REF Buggrit: I wasn't "crayoning"

Before someone says "well what would you call it?".....I'm thinking about it now.

8. Just enquiring.

What is the local point of view ?
    I am not a resident of Wootton Bassett and although I feel we all could do more to honour our fallen, I would not be comfortable renaming this road unless it was extremely popular by the locals.

"Highway of Heroes" is this the only option ?

I will have to give it more thought but I wish you success. Good Luck !

9. Road of Respect (I quite like that)

Repatriation Road?

10. Pro Patria Way?

11. Surely Dulce et Decorum E St.?

12. Damn! I was just thinking the same thing!! :x

13. .

Sunset Boulevard :roll:

I'm sure the residents of Wootton Basett are quite capable of making a sensible, respectful decision.

PS. They've not let our fallen down, so far.

14. Thanks for all your comments. Good to have a debate. For info this was orginally posted on ArmyNET and the originator (ex RM) asked me to post this to achieve as high an audience as possibe.

I personally like some of the alternative suggestions.