New New Top Gear

... to be honest, Top Gear and The Grand Tour just seem too contrived as they compete against each other to be interesting. I hate to say it but I'd rather watch Car SOS - at least there is some mechanical interest and interesting cars, many of which are still attainable. Fuzz Townsend seems to know his stuff and Tim Shaw may be irritating but adds a bit of fun plus wifey always has a sniffle when they unveil the car to the owner.
I FF past all the snivels.
On an annoyance factor of 1-10, Wheeler Dealer's Brewer seems to have improved to about a 6, while Tim is still off the scale.
Ant > Fuzz by a long chalk.

Tim is complete arrse.

The budget is not disclosed because restoring some of the basket cases that they have done is mind bogglingly expensive just for the parts e.g. the Porsche 911, Audi Quattro and Mk2 Jag.

They have a team of about 20 professional panel beaters and mechanics working full time that you never see with various bits subbed out.

It is an entertainment programme like TG and Grand Tour. Most people are grown up enough to realise that money is pumped in and there is a team of mechanics. If you watch, you can see them, working on the car and they are mentioned as they wire and weld and hammer! The point is to restore the car for a reason. It is not to restore a car on a budget.

and .....just an excerpt from Wiki on Tim Shaw-

At 16, he was designing products such as folding walking aids, fast flashing brake lights that illuminate when cars brake heavily, rubberised ice cube trays and many other items.[2] Soon after that, he was awarded a scholarship in Engineering at Oxford University. He was named one of the "Young Engineers of the Year" twice, in 1992 and 1994.[2] Before pursuing a career in radio and television, he also studied Mechanical Engineering and Product Design at university. He has a first class degree in Professional Broadcasting.

I think you need to understand the difference between entertainment and documentary.

... to be honest, Top Gear and The Grand Tour just seem too contrived as they compete against each other to be interesting.
I don’t think that The Grand Tour has ever competed with Top Gear. It may have looked up to it’s rear view mirror to see Top Gear spinning out in a cloud of ginger coloured PC & dull smoke, but The Grand Tour is still the best ‘3 blokes dick around in cars’ show (not a car show, an entertainment show).

So are Freddie and Paddy car nuts? Or just names to front the show?

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
Paddy McGuiness is not just incredibly irritating but has the presentation style of a potato. The BBC has many people that would do a better job from Townsend to Deville with many more between - male and female.

A shame that Rory Reid is moved back to Extra Gear. He seemed the most natural of the most recent presenters. Interested and knowledgeable without being a try hard. Chris Harris is, well, clearly a talented driver but most of what he says seems a bit like forced blokeishness.
Flintoff and McGuinness sounds like a nightmare combination. Get car people - Ed China for one, since he left Wheeler Dealers.

Is it really? I would have thought after the last series it would struggle to break even.

Having said that I was disappointed with the Grand Tour. If I ever hear James May say "Does that mean they won't be on then" again, I'll spew!
You won't hear it again methinks. It and a few other less well thought out ideas were binned during S2.

BBC unveils post-Brexit Top Gear line-up - The Daily Mash

You won't hear it again methinks. It and a few other less well thought out ideas were binned during S2.
Agreed, the 'killing off a celebrity' bit was amusing the first time in a sticking two fingers up to the BBC about stuff that the Grand Tour couldn't do. In the second episode it was dull and by the 10th it was painful. The obnoxious American driver was another welcome loss.

He was complaining it was all supercars. But a quick look at a couple of episodes shows three supercar tests, one of fast limos, one of high-end SUVs - and the rest is making a cheap electric car, a celebration of Lancia, turning a caravan into an airship, racing airport vehicles and a test of a very cheap hot hatch.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Thnaks for the heads up, I'll be giving that a swerve. I can't stand Flintoff, and I REALLY can't stand McGuinness.
It could be worse, they could have employed James "I'm really multi-talented me" Corden for the job.

He was complaining it was all supercars. But a quick look at a couple of episodes shows three supercar tests, one of fast limos, one of high-end SUVs - and the rest is making a cheap electric car, a celebration of Lancia, turning a caravan into an airship, racing airport vehicles and a test of a very cheap hot hatch.
Ok, with you now.:)

A shame that Rory Reid is moved back to Extra Gear. He seemed the most natural of the most recent presenters. Interested and knowledgeable without being a try hard. Chris Harris is, well, clearly a talented driver but most of what he says seems a bit like forced blokeishness.
Flintoff and McGuinness sounds like a nightmare combination. Get car people - Ed China for one, since he left Wheeler Dealers.
Rory was the best, and possibly only watchable bit of TG in my opinion. They've really made the wrong decision.

And he could do with the money. He allegedly owes £600,000.

Rory was the best, and possibly only watchable bit of TG in my opinion. They've really made the wrong decision.
Agreed. At its heart TG should be a car show, and yet the number of actual motoring journalists fronting it is gradually decreasing series by series...

Ugh, I already hate the next series of TG just imagining the scripted and carefully rehearsed 'banter' between Flintoff, McGuinness and Harris.

It's going to be all OTT over enthusiastic gushing about overpowered overpriced cars that few people watching will ever be able to own - not due to cost but because they'll all be illegal to drive anywhere with more than a population of 1 due to emissions.

I think TG is finally done with. Maybe in a couple of years they'll bring it back as a dull car show about the sort of cars we actually buy, you know which has the largest boot and how much room there is in the back seats, just like it was in William Woolard's days!