New New Top Gear

Jammy66

War Hero
Enjoyed the latest Top Gear line up, much more natural banter than before - I actually stopped watching the last series it was so bloody boring.

That said I bought an Amazon stick a while back purely to catch up on the Grand Tour - what a breath of fresh air that was! You forget how great Clarkson, Hammon and May are together. Still the 'real' Top Gear.

Made the mistake of flicking to BBC 2 just now.
Jesus, I didn’t realise that TG had got so terrible.
Chris Harris is odious, Paddy is like a dodgy Fast Show northern character and Freddie whilst not too bad seems a bit clueless about cars.
Total dogshit.
The BBC should have put this nag out if it’s misery after Clarkson was offed.
Not a patch on Grand Tour.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Made the mistake of flicking to BBC 2 just now.
Jesus, I didn’t realise that TG had got so terrible.
Chris Harris is odious, Paddy is like a dodgy Fast Show northern character and Freddie whilst not too bad seems a bit clueless about cars.
Total dogshit.
The BBC should have put this nag out if it’s misery after Clarkson was offed.
Not a patch on Grand Tour.
So did I as I haven’t watched a single episode since the infamous change of staff. I thought how can I criticise if I haven’t seen it?
Well I watched about 45 minutes and that was a struggle, and I must agree with you, it’s simply awful.

PFGEN

GCM
On the last episode of the Grand Tour when the trio said they would be stopping the old style show and go for a format of specials they ran a short look back at just a few of the highlights of the previous 17 years (16 if you're May) on TG and TGT. In both shows they really were a class apart even though there were a few shows along the way that were dogs.

Actually I thought that last nights outing of the new noveren TG was better than last weeks abomination. It was still dire but a marginal improvement.

I wanted to hate it but I'm afraid I quite like it.

Yes the star in a car thing is dire and needs binning as does the boring stuff, you know those car review bits.

So in a nutshell 3 blokes buggering around in a car themed comedy.....

Oh I see what I've done there......

I really liked the e-cars episode. And I thought the Model 3 review by someone who knows what they are talking about was great. Chris Harris is superb, Paddy lightens the show. Freddy is the odd one out for me. Wooden delivery and just seems to be forcing the laughs.

And no more of the simplistic japes like electrocuting whilst driving. TG deserves better than that.

I wanted to hate it but I'm afraid I quite like it.

Yes the star in a car thing is dire and needs binning as does the boring stuff, you know those car review bits.

So in a nutshell 3 blokes buggering around in a car themed comedy.....

Oh I see what I've done there......
I have just watched the first two episodes on i-player and I have to admit that the 3 presenters could , in time build up a raport. However the whole thing about the old TG was the banter between Clarkson, May and Hammond.
They still have it in the Grand Tour which makes it worth watching. The BBC are desparately trying to find a 3some with the same chemistry as the originals, and they will continue to fail.
It's time that TG was binned and the BBC admit they cocked up. Let the 3 guys on the Grand Tour have a couple of more series and then put TG/GT to bed once and for all. If the BBC want to continue with a popular car programme, start from scratch. The three current presenters of TG would IMHO be a good place to start.

SWMBO and I watched episode two last night with the e-cars. The sketch on the race track had me in stitches, I think they'll be getting better with time.

No matter what the ARRSErati might think it is getting healthy viewer numbers and has added 200,000 viewers since Ep.1. Presumably through word of mouth.

Who is Zara Tindall? What is CP?

No matter what the ARRSErati might think it is getting healthy viewer numbers and has added 200,000 viewers since Ep.1. Presumably through word of mouth.

Who is Zara Tindall? What is CP?
Even though I like Matt LeBlanc,he really wasn't right for the show. These three seem to be a good mix.
Zara Tindall,nee Phillips, daughter of Princess Anne.
CP=Close Protection.
Was that last bit a wah?

Even though I like Matt LeBlanc,he really wasn't right for the show. These three seem to be a good mix.
Zara Tindall,nee Phillips, daughter of Princess Anne.
CP=Close Protection.
Was that last bit a wah?
No. Genuinely not a wah.

I really had no idea who Zara T is. The royal offspring are as much a mystery to me as quantum physics.

I recognise CP now but didn’t in the original context.

jmb3296

Old-Salt
Zara Tindall on tonight.
Serious question,is she entitled to CP?
No.

There is a list of criteria ( I am not going to post them here)applied by a committee known as RAVEC ( Royalty And VIP Executive Committee as I recall).
Zara doesn’t match the criteria and I don’t think there has been a request that she should get it.

There are a large number of “arrivistes” who are very keen to get CP. more for status and fast tracking through airports etc. Without fail they don’t meet criteria and have to be told so.

On one particularly memorable occasion I was tasked with delivering that message.

Wasn’t recieved well!

Last edited:
No.

There is a list of criteria ( I am not going to post them here)applied by a committee known as RAVEC ( Royalty And VIP Executive Committee as I recall).
Zara doesn’t match the criteria and I don’t think there has been a request that she should get it.

There are a large number of “arrivistes” who are very keen to get CP. more for status and fast tracking through airports etc. Without fail they don’t meet criteria and have to be told so.

On one particularly memorable occasion I was tasked with delivering that message.

Wasn’t recieved well!
That's what I thought. I didn't think she was far enough up the list for CP.
And anyway,she strikes me as the sort that wouldn't really want it.

PFGEN

GCM
I quite enjoyed tonight's outing. Loved the comment when they had Sabine in the demolition derby. "Its the German, I thought they'd gotten rid of her".

Latest Threads