New Navy Uniform

It will be interesting to see the black caps in Nr1 uniform. I wonder if WW2 was any influence on the decision (apart from my post). The Americans have gone back to wearing their WW2 pinks so perhaps it was also inspired by that?

The US WW2 uniform is also particularly suave, especially with the A2 flying jacket.

View attachment 612103

It looks like this phot, taken from the RN website, of 2SL commemorating Trafalgar Day last week.

I've now worked out what he meant in one of his briefs when said he doesn't want us to look like a 1950s Navy. Clearly he meant he wants us to look like the 1940s - I look forward to 1s as DWR, duffel coats, open top bridges, and wavy stripes for our reservists!

Attachments

• Saluting the immortal memory.jpg
    Saluting the immortal memory.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 212
It looks like this phot, taken from the RN website, of 2SL commemorating Trafalgar Day last week.

I've now worked out what he meant in one of his briefs when said he doesn't want us to look like a 1950s Navy. Clearly he meant he wants us to look like the 1940s - I look forward to 1s as DWR, duffel coats, open top bridges, and wavy stripes for our reservists!
where do I (re) sign?

As a former member of the underwater elite I have to say this black cap thing looks proper sh1t.

QRK2

LE

1941 or 2021? :)

Untitled.jpg

I think it looks great, it was by far the coolest uniform of WW2 and even puts the krauts to shame. The 1940s was arguably our finest moment. Imho, The likes of Cunningham and Walker are up there with Nelson and Pellew.

It will be interesting to see whether the USN jumps on the bandwagon and tries to do something similar with their uniform.

Last edited:

Pompeyexpat

Clanker
Male SRs should be able to wear the same cover as the male officers, I would have thought it could be fitted over the JR cap too. Still excludes female submarine SRs and officers though.
You can now buy - you still have to purchase your own, even though their use is mandated (from 8 Nov) - black covers for JRs caps and Tricorns. All from the same single outlet, not there's anything suspicious in that at all.

You can now buy - you still have to purchase your own, even though their use is mandated (from 8 Nov) - black covers for JRs caps and Tricorns. All from the same single outlet, not there's anything suspicious in that at all.
Mandated?

Pompeyexpat

Clanker
Mandated?
Actually, now I look again, no. The new RNTM has changed that. The previous version said they were to be worn ‘by default’. Now it says personnel are ‘authorised’ to wear them.

Seems someone must’ve pointed out you can’t order people to spend money. How that will work on Divisions if anyone doesn’t have one though I don’t know.

Asking for a friend does the Lt-Cmdr adc partake in airtight manoeuvres

Allan74

Old-Salt
What happens to those who don't want to spend their loot on bits 'n' pieces of uniform.

Countryboy

Old-Salt

Why did they start wearing white-topped caps in modern times always, out of interest? I thought that it was blue for winter/UK and white for tropics etc, or was that just WWII?

Why did they start wearing white-topped caps in modern times always, out of interest? I thought that it was blue for winter/UK and white for tropics etc, or was that just WWII?

Blue caps were worn in winter and in wartime, white cap covers (pulled over the blue woolen cap) in summer. In the tropics the thin wire framed cap was worn year round.

Blue caps were withdrawn during Mountbatten's tenure as 1SL as he preferred white caps. The shift to white plastic instead of white cotton was another of his ideas following a state ceremonial occasion (possibly HM The Queen's coronation?) when the blanco on the cotton caps ran down the faces of the parading sailors.

Pompeyexpat

Clanker
What happens to those who don't want to spend their loot on bits 'n' pieces of uniform.

The re-issued RNTM now says qualified personnel are ‘authorised’ to wear black cap covers, except on certain major ceremonial occasions, whereas the original stated they were to be worn ‘as a default’. So as it’s no longer an order I don’t suppose they can do anything if someone chooses not to buy one.

Latest Threads