New Navy Uniform

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It still doesn't exist.

The reversocycle has not needed to be deployed about this and the apparent favouritism to certain ranks and sexes. At all.

Whenever I see what shenanigans the submarine service are smashing out this week to aid retention, I’m reminded of the initial recruitment lecture they gave us at Collingwood.

They showed us a sexy video of submarines doing submarine shit and then it was just two Chiefs telling us how great it was because of the extra money, more informal atmosphere (you get to call officers by their first names - whoopyfuckingdoo) and “the better food” (what?). Anyone seen that Simpsons episode where the guy tries to sell them a monorail?

There was also a load of chat about submariners being somehow elite and better than the rest of us. I’m pretty sure they likened the extra pay to the SF pay the SAS get.

Most of the Scottish lads took the bait for the chance to be based near home. Everyone else realised it was a massive scam. If it was so awesome, surely it’d be over subscribed and they wouldn’t need a team to come round and beg sprogs to transfer over?

And then finally when they didn’t get enough volunteers, they started arbitrarily stitching entire classes to become submariners. Thankfully I slipped through the net because I’d been back classed into a different class for being under 17. My original class all ended up on boats as SWS maintainers.

So the whole elite thing was bullshit. The submarine service is just made up of people who were unlucky enough to get stitched and Scottish people who want to be close to home. One of the thickest retards I ever served with ended up on boats.

Just saying.

Some years later a few of my oppos (now bitter and twisted Senior Rate submariners) were offered a 50k Financial Retention Incentive to sign on for an additional 5 years. Two people I know took it, one ended up paying it back and going outside anyway.

This funny hat thing is just another stunt to make them feel a little bit better about having a really shit job.

Last edited:
Still haven’t seen the JR’s version yet.
Or female JR’s, or SR’s (male or female), or female Officer’s.

All of one company, right?

Truxx

LE
That looks ******* ridiculous with PCS.

I’m sure it’s very smart with 3s or a submarine jersey but that just screams of “I’ve got this special hat, so I’m wearing it at every opportunity.”

So you have never encountered Scottish Infantry Regiments then?

Whenever I see what shenanigans the submarine service are smashing out this week to aid retention, I’m reminded of the initial recruitment lecture they gave us at Collingwood.

They showed us a sexy video of submarines doing submarine shit and then it was just two Chiefs telling us how great it was because of the extra money, more informal atmosphere (you get to call officers by their first names - whoopyfuckingdoo) and “the better food” (what?). Anyone seen that Simpsons episode where the guy tries to sell them a monorail?

There was also a load of chat about submariners being somehow elite and better than the rest of us. I’m pretty sure they likened the extra pay to the SF pay the SAS get.

Most of the Scottish lads took the bait for the chance to be based near home. Everyone else realised it was a massive scam. If it was so awesome, surely it’d be over subscribed and they wouldn’t need a team to come round and beg sprogs to transfer over?

And then finally when they didn’t get enough volunteers, they started arbitrarily stitching entire classes to become submariners. Thankfully I slipped through the net because I’d been back classed into a different class for being under 17. My original class all ended up on boats as SWS maintainers.

So the whole elite thing was bullshit. The submarine service is just made up of people who were unlucky enough to get stitched and Scottish people who want to be close to home. One of the thickest retards I ever served with ended up on boats.

Just saying.

Some years later a few of my oppos (now bitter and twisted Senior Rate submariners) were offered a 50k Financial Retention Incentive to sign on for an additional 5 years. Two people I know took it, one ended up paying it back and going outside anyway.

This funny hat thing is just another stunt to make them feel a little bit better about having a really shit job.
BRNC had a much more streamlined way of doing it.

Get all the males in a term into one of the lecture rooms. Presentation as above about how great it is. Followed by:

'Right, that was the pitch. Now, no one's going anywhere until we've got 12 volunteers.'

It still doesn't exist.

The reversocycle has not needed to be deployed about this and the apparent favouritism to certain ranks and sexes. At all.
I'm convinced I've seen at least a casing crew phot wearing them this summer. Whether that was an enterprising CO sorting out uniformity for his lads (and presumably at his expense) I don't know, but there's a phot somewhere.

Point about getting it sorted stands, obviously.

They've always been sold for officers, Starling Division at BRNC in 2003 was a stag div and they wore them as a division for about 2 weeks.

Apparently the Commander had said yes to the request, on the proviso that it was the whole division or no one. Unfortunately, and not unexpectedly, the whole division called his bluff. Took about 14 days for TJB to put a stop to it.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
It's like the new uniform.

We want to be like the Army and have fifteen different uniforms across the Naval Service.

An acquaintance, on exchange with the Canadians a good few years back, was always on the trawl for bits of UK kit - he was disappointed that he hadn't asked me to bring my old tropical combats out with me when I was over in Halifax. Why? He'd have bought them off me, because he liked to put together odd combinations citing obscure (i.e. invented) RN dress regs and history days... trying to see what he could get away with before someone said "seriously, just stick to 3s". Not policy, just amusing himself overseas.

And Staff College always used to be interesting for (among many other things) seeing the variety of barrack dress worn by Army colonels; we might not have been able to manage our AFV fleet, or keep our artillery up to date, but we could manage, procure, support, issue and jealously defend a dozen subtly different shades of blue shirt and a dizzying variety of rank insignia...

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
An acquaintance, on exchange with the Canadians a good few years back, was always on the trawl for bits of UK kit - he was disappointed that he hadn't asked me to bring my old tropical combats out with me when I was over in Halifax. Why? He'd have bought them off me, because he liked to put together odd combinations citing obscure (i.e. invented) RN dress regs and history days... trying to see what he could get away with before someone said "seriously, just stick to 3s". Not policy, just amusing himself overseas.

And Staff College always used to be interesting for (among many other things) seeing the variety of barrack dress worn by Army colonels; we might not have been able to manage our AFV fleet, or keep our artillery up to date, but we could manage, procure, support, issue and jealously defend a dozen subtly different shades of blue shirt and a dizzying variety of rank insignia...
We had this while I was on my long Russian course at Beaconsfield in '83-'85. Towards the end of the course, the Naval student body joined us, when the former purely-Andrew facility somewhere West of Taunton closed. They were an odd mix, reflective of the fact that Naval commissioned officers (specifically not gentlemen, of course) saw Intelligence and, specifically, languages, as secondary thing to their primary role of being strong-chinned duffle coat wearing Jack Hawkins types. This may have changed, since.

The handful of officers who rocked up were an interesting mix of sun-dodging nuke engineers and a solitary FAA maniac. They quickly noted the huge variety of uniforms worn by the very mixed student body at the Russian Language Wing (all conceivable cap badges, Brigadier to Corporal) and decided not to be outmanoeuvred.

A bewildering variety of orders of dress was the result, with the aviator winning Best of Breed for growing a gigantic full set and growing his hair long at the back and rocking a tarred queue, while wearing a growbag when he felt like it.

A particular highpoint, given that the TV series on the Perisher was on at the time, was when the sun dodgers, irritated by the constant and ill-informed piss taking, laid on a full demonstration of an SSN attack run in the library.

That looks ******* ridiculous with PCS.

I’m sure it’s very smart with 3s or a submarine jersey but that just screams of “I’ve got this special hat, so I’m wearing it at every opportunity.”

Im sure they are not meant to be wearing them For that exact reason?

View attachment 563203
Knew the RN was updating it’s uniform.

Knew about the rank slides back on the shoulder.

Knew that Second like a hero sleeve.

The (stable?) belt caused me to choke on my hobnob.

Thoughts?
Dear Admiral, wearing that rig no more makes you look younger and more virile than wearing a baseball cap sideways does. In short, it is the uniform equivalent of dads dancing.

threaders144

Old-Salt

Just saying.

Similar problem with the Corps and retention - I took the £20k retention pay and subsequently paid it back 2 years in.. if I was more switched on, I would’ve only opted for 1 or 2 years. A massive proportion of the retention payment goes to the tax man anyway.