New Navy Uniform

45514412-8288-4658-8266-3C0849C6FC44.jpeg

Knew the RN was updating it’s uniform.

Knew about the rank slides back on the shoulder.

Knew that Second like a hero sleeve.

The (stable?) belt caused me to choke on my hobnob.

Thoughts?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Stable belt is ******* honking, otherwise not too bad.

Presumably it’ll look better without massive Admiral’s rank slides.

Although the mud guards are a bit OTT. ABs will have the words Royal Navy written twice on each shoulder, just a few CMs apart.

I’ll be hanging on to my faded PCS as long as possible, just to give off that air of old school salty sea dog who’s been in a long time.

Just... W... T... F..? Why? Are there not more pressing issues? The Andrew seems to change working dress every five minutes. And what's with the White Ensign? The only flag that should be worn on any uniform is the national flag, not some organisational variation thereof. They've got this idea off the Aussies. It looks bonk... as does the RN titles. As for the 'kin stable belt? CS95 in dark blue should've done the RN for the next three decades.

I understand joint international ops means identifying an individual's nationality is useful, but simplicity should suffice. The addition of 'Royal Navy' to the actual rank slides (like other Commonwealth nations) would be enough surely?

Last edited:
I see that they are flying the ensign on the new boiler suit. Saves on flag staffs I suppose. Come to think of it, saves on actual vessels.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sleeves neither up nor down.
Wot was wrong with number 8's.

To be fair PCS was a massive improvement over 8s which only lasted about half a deployment before the trousers became paper thin and disintegrated and the shirt faded to light grey. Although 8s did look loads better.

In 20 years this is the 5th daily working rig I’ve had.

8s / 4s - Light blue shirt, navy blue trousers, largely unchanged since the 1960s.
“Improved” action working dress - As above but trousers were made of thicker material and had cargo pockets, we also got an absolutely honking norgie shirt with epaulettes that became completely misshapen the first time it was washed. Introduction of current gore tex foulie jacket.
First iteration of PCS which was essentially a navy blue version of CS95. Never made it to general issue, only a few ships had it on a trial basis.
PCS - As per current Army uniform but navy blue.
Whatever this new shit is called.

bob231

War Hero
Ditch the entire thing, wear overalls at sea and 3s (white shirt/black trousers) ashore.

Admittedly, this would require updating 3s so they are no longer made with the lowest builder's offcuts and sized to be repurposed as tents.

The uniform looks good to me, however the Ociffer in the top photo looks like a sack of $shite tied up in the middle.

To be fair PCS was a massive improvement over 8s which only lasted about half a deployment before the trousers became paper thin and disintegrated and the shirt faded to light grey. Although 8s did look loads better.

In 20 years this is the 5th daily working rig I’ve seen come in.

8s / 4s - Light blue shirt, navy blue trousers, largely unchanged since the 1960s.
“Improved” action working dress - As above but trousers were made of thicker material and had cargo pockets, we also got an absolutely honking norgie shirt with epaulettes that became completely misshapen the first time it was washed. Introduction of current gore tex foulie jacket.
First iteration of PCS which was essentially a navy blue version of CS95. Never made it to general issue, only a few ships had it on a trial basis.
PCS.
Whatever this new shit is called.

To be fair, the Army has suffered in much the same way in recent times:

DPM CS95
MTP CS95
MTP PCS Mk1 (massive amount of velcro on the arms, pockets for padding in the forearms)
MTP PCS Mk1 Hot Weather version (as above, but higher cotton content)
MTP PCS Mk2 (less velcro on the arms, no forearm pockets)
MTP PCS Mk2 Hot Weather version (as per above)
MTP Barrack Shirt
Various versions of High Liability, Low Liability, hot weather, cold weather, boots in desert and brown

I’m not sure how it’s possible to get working dress so badly wrong you have to revise it so many times after it’s been trialled, but it hardly fills me with confidence that we’ve got the really complex stuff nailed down tight. :-D

4(T)

LE
IMHO sleeves rolled halfway up the forearms looks gash and slovenly. Seems to be a trend amongst VSOs to lead from the bottom in terms of presentation, turnout and personal standards.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Ditch the entire thing, wear overalls at sea
That‘d never work, how would anyone eat if they weren’t allowed in the dining rooms?

The chefs would go mental.

bob231

War Hero
That‘d never work, how would anyone eat if they weren’t allowed in the dining rooms?

The chefs would go mental.
Clean into 3s. PCS is only eating rig anyway. Or clean overalls, as the French and Aussies somehow manage.

And the Bridge Gods can wear 3s all the time, which will make them feel even more super special. If the Bridge is on fire, not being in a basic firefighting rig is the least of our problems.

Beats the lunatic idea that we switch to a gash seagoing uniform everywhere.

Nick Hine trialled the “old new” PCS and is well aware of its failings.

The “new new” PCS is primarily designed for the Far/Middle East. The new design and the new material were trialled separately and feedback taken. The design team gave feedback on the feedback, and explained where the differences were (ie keeping buttons on the shirt as they’re easier to repair/replace than a zip).

The stable belt are the RN colours, and can be found on things such as “regimental” ties and watch straps

There are a few shortfalls with the “new new” PCS - mainly there’s nothing to make them warmer or more waterproof (no jumper, no fleece, no foulie that actually keeps water out).

Stable belt looks so cheap, they deserve something better than that. Plain Navy Blue would be so much better.

There was a survey about this redesign and most of the general comments were taken on board: for example, the front facing rank slide was generally unpopular, the new shirt is very similar to an old 4s shirt, just in navy blue now.

As stated, I was blindsided by the garish stable belt. The white ensign is to be smaller and the same size as the one on the FCF new rig.

Someone mentioned the trial PCS. I was part of the trial on one of the ships chosen, and it has a Velcro-on Ship’s Crest on one arm, which I quite liked.