New navy subs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by here_be_mike, May 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just spotted this on the beeb Clicky

Could this be the reason for doubt over the new carriers? Perhaps Whitehall is seeing these as more mandatory since they will be carrying Trident V2.0. Does anybody have any more info on them in terms of what makes them so advanced compared to some of the newer US subs (other than the reactor and no need to surface)?

2. These are Astute nuclear attack submarines, designed to hunt other subs and attack land targets with Tomahawk missiles.The Ballistic Missile Submarines have not been designed yet.

3. Yes that’s the ones currently being built, but isn’t the next lot (same/similar to these) for carrying the new trident? I’m just going by what the article says.

4. Hunt subs
    Hunt surface ships
    Inelligence Gathering (inc picking up signals)
    Land attack with Tomahawk
    Insert/Extract special forces
    etc

5. The ones for Trident will be bigger! Keep an eye out for what the Americans are designing, this should give you an idea of where we might head.
    Would not some conventional subs be better for SF insertion/extraction?

6. "Would not some conventional subs be better for SF insertion/extraction? "

Yes - but they are a lot slower to get to where they need to be.

7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

These will be handy for when the Taleban/Al Qa'eda acquire ballistic missile submarines... and we can use Typhoons to shoot down the Taleban/Al Qa'eda air force too. I shall sleep safely in my bed tonight, in the knowledge that our brave brethren in dark and light blue are playing their part in defeating all current threats to our great Nation.

8. "it's a nuclear submarine, and lots of things can go wrong"

LOL what a silly thing to say

9. Bear in mind that it was the fear of a couple of RN submarines that kept the Argentinian navy in port after the Belgrano was sunk. Without them, Invincible and/or Hermes may very well have ended up at the bottom of the Atlantic.

The Astute submarines can also launch cruise missiles that have proved to be vital in recent conflicts.

10. Because, ofcourse these are the only threats in the world right now. I know we train to fight the last war, but mabey we could try and equipe for the next one.

11. Sounds like a similar concept to our new Virginia class boats...

12. Meanwhile Russia has launched its Borey-class submarine

[​IMG]

13. :roll:

These are attack subs and as previously mentioned are used for Int collection and SF Insertion/Extraction amongst other things.

Have a look at the bigger picture-these will be in service for a minimum of 25 years...