New model army

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldRedCap, Mar 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This reads quite well - to me.
    But then, I am a very old fart and have been away for a long long time. So, what about the 1,000 yard starers commenting?
    I'm struggling to catch up on everything that came in during my last 2 weeks holiday - so humble apologies if this has already been aired.
  2. Sounds reasonable, especially keeping the capbadges for local conections
  3. I think it could cause a little upset to those of a crab persuasion :D
  4. What a load of old bllox. "What we need is..." Yes, Robert Fox=weapons grade knobjockey with a high opinion of himself inversely proportional to his actual knowledge and ability.
  5. Anyone want to bet on how long it takes, after we cut Artic/Jungle training, for a couple of wars to break out in exactly those regions? :roll:

"It is better to keep an Army for a hundred years, even if you need it for only a single day."
    -The Art of War, by Sun Tzu
  6. A very interesting article that really says nothing. It assumes that junior officers and JNCOs are better qualified to do the forward planning that experienced senior ones with no actual evidence to back the statement. It also assumes that the future is a known fact , who 20 years ago would have foreseen the situation that exists today. It's always easy to know the answers when you set the question but a little more difficult when events set the question. The major strength of the British forces is there ability to adapt to a given situation. As for the glib comment on regiments he obviously has no inkling of the cement that binds the Brith army together, the regimental system is a tried and tested system that has stood the test of time .
  7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Are you referring to this bit ?
    I'm not sure that the RAF had any plans for "branching out" into others areas. Or where he identified that list as "core business". No more close air support then? Or Air Defence of the UK, or expeditionary air superiority?

However ...
    I would think that some new/replacement aircraft are needed.
    FFS, we've only just retired Jaguar, having had it in service since 1974.
    And we've been operating Harriers since 1970.

I think the Army should be re-issued with .303 rifles, on that basis :wink:
  8. I particularily liked this bit:

The structure of the forces needs to be less fragmented and complex. There are too many HQs. The Army, in particular, is over-officered

Not having an anti officer bash but our tiny little army has a considerable number of chiefs. I doubt the Army really justifies Four Star command these days. Potential to reach General rank must be higher now than it has ever been due to the shrinkage at the bottom of the rank structure.

Oh hanng on what was that?........ Just formed 11 Light Bde, oh good.
  9. Whilst much of what he says has the appearance of a pacifisr rant, I do think he has an arguement on some of the structural things. I think we are too top heavy both in uniformed and non uniformed staff, and that many working in administrative roles add little value to the task and there is good justification for reducing staff numbers by removing the jobs that we don't need doing
  10. When you start depending on foriegners to fight your wars, you are on the path to ruin. Just read some later Roman history, and ask why the Saxons live in southern England, not the Romans.
  11. Don't tell the Ghurkas, Fijians, Irish, Zimbabwians, South Africans, Kenyans, Aussies, Kiwis and all those guys from the West Indies that then.
  12. Allowing our friends in, and forming a foreign legion, are different, I think.
  13. The first thing that Fox wrote that jarred somewhat

Recommending a cut in MoD spending!!
  14. Why? My friend is a Polish Plumber.
  15. . . . . . . . . . . . and a cut in army personnel :?

Note to Bad CO - Please, please, please sort out the bb code buttons