New Model Army: Tonight

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by quiller, May 10, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Your fear was correct. I stopped watching it when the bitter and twisted ex-regular started dripping about TA soldiers being unable to put their helmet covers on properly.

There was also a bit about a TA JNCO who had an ND during TELIC and was found not guilty of manslaughter because according to the program he had not been trained on the weapon system. The implication was that he had never had any training on the weapon. It was then reported that about 40% of reservist who deployed on TELIC had not been trained on their weapon systems.

I don't know hpw many NDs there were during TELIC but I know that when I was in Bosnia with 3 RMP we investigated several and they were all regular soldiers. IIRC none where fatal but some cause injury. I also find the alleged statistic of 40% not being trained on the weapon system dubious in the extreme and I would suggest it can be accounted for in a number of ways. At around that time the transition from A1 to A2 was being made. It's more than possible that some people reserve and regular did not convert. This would not have any safety implications at all.

It is also possible that many of the people who deployed did not complete MATTs before they deployed but they would have done them at some point in the proceeding year. I also know many regular soldiers who deployed on TELIC without any beat up training. I would be inclined to agree that there was not sufficient prep for TELIC but the implication that 40% of reservist deployed with no training is just rubbish. It was fitting statistics to fit the story they wanted to push.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Yes, It was quite outdated in it's reporting. Most "facts" seemed to be based on the early Telic experience, no real insight on how PDT etc has evolved for the Reserve. The theme dwelt also on the "Reserves are replacements for the going Regular elements" which is not entirely true in my mind.
  3. The program was so slanted it very nearly slipped sideways off my TV.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. It's not a great thing to show to the public after our TA Live campaign!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Some good comments regarding the general lack of preparedness for early Telic; but a misinformed (and somewhat patronising) piece of journalism there after.

6. **** all of you, I'm still trying to work this blasted helmet cover out. Damn my inadequate training!
    • Like Like x 22
  7. While parts were... somewhat slanted, there was enough of it for every point of view, IMHO.

There was an implication that reservists were abandoned (from a health perspective) by the regulars post-deployment, not because it's impossible, but because of thoughtlessness.

There was an uncritical look at the US National Guard, suggesting that they appear to be able to run a reserve "properly", and deploy reservists in formed subunits (as was made clear by the Californian platoon commander when interviewed). Subtext: the Americans can deploy TA sub-units into combat roles, why can't we?

In other words, a superficial look at the issue, for those new to the subject, in just over 20 minutes; shallow enough to annoy just about all of the varied but deeply-held personal beliefs on the subject.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. In a totally unscientific way backed up by zero research, I'd also question their premise that Reservists are twice as likely to develop mental health issues post deployment than their regular counterparts. They are, however, probably more likely to actively seek treatment.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Do the smart thing... Wait until someone ain't looking and swap your lid with theirs. And then look innocent, whistling nonchalantly might help.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I have added the same level of science to my own research in this field and I've concluded that as a TA Soldier trains around a quarter of the time annually as a Regular Soldier thus are really only 25% Squaddie then they are in fact 75% LESS likely to develop PTSD or any type of injury physical or mental for that matter.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

it wasn't great journalism but it did at least stress that while we need more TA/army reserve on the whole we do not want to be cutting down the regulars.

I thought the comparison with the national guard and the way they deploy you with your mates quite appropriate, shame we aren't likely to copy their format.
  12. Never mind the TA not being trained on weapon systems, I wasnt either - I was given an SA80 5minutes before zeroing on my apwt and told to work it out, and save any questions until the firing point
  13. There are some very good reasons why the National Guard can be deployed as formed units.

Firstly, the National Guard is funded. Not only at State level to train, but at Federal level to mobilize. There is no scrimping on the budget and as with everything else, you get what you pay for.

Secondly, the contract that the National Guard is employed under is completely different to that of a TA soldier. The National Guardsman signs a contract for a set time scale and in exchange gets generous bonuses for enlisting and re-enlisting, pay, health and education benefits. They are also not seen as an 'army on the cheap' and are given as much respect by the general public as regular forces are. This enables the biggest difference between the NG and the TA. Every Drill weekend, Annual Training (Annual Camp) or course, every soldier is 'mobilized'. That means they are not only paid to turn up and train, they are legally obliged to turn up and train and have to by law be released by their employer in order that they can turn up and train.

The chances of TA soldiers getting the level of support from the government and employers, to allow them to commit to that level of training commitment and then be deployed for regular tours, without being seen as a drain on the employers resources, is in my opinion, next to nil.

So to be honest, any comparison between the NG and the TA is comparing 'apples & oranges' and a useless exercise at the present time.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. For me, I found the documentary to be rather poorly put together and researched. Very much felt like the producers had. Definite agenda.

It's a shame Richard Holmes passed away. I suspect he would have done a far better job of something like this. Yes I know, wishful thinking etc

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead