New Mobile Phone

endure

GCM
The version I bought wasn't generally available in the UK either yet I still managed to buy one. The main thing is to ensure that the phone is compatible with the networks in your home country and any you might visit. It might be supplied with a different language by default but you can normally change that easily. A brand with a decent reputation for providing software updates and no or minimal bloatware is preferable.

I've bought phones in Thailand that weren't available here at the time (Oppo and Imobile) but flip phones seem to be unique to South Korea.

a cheapo moto-

you may find it cheaper elsewhere

endure

GCM

endure

GCM

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
the moto stuff is generally very good, not as technical as many others but then they are 5 times the price.

I'm running a moto g7 power and it does all I need and more if I want it to.

endure

GCM

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I hereby revoke any recommendation I may have made for a Nokia 7.1 on this thread. Ten months down the line, the USB hardware failed (viewing Nokia 7.1 feedback on numerous forums, this seems to be universal. Zero Alpha seems to think that 7.2 is no better). 25 days ago Nokia agreed it was their problem and could I use this shipping label to get DHL to ship the brick to their Budapest Repair Centre? They screwed up the collection information in the barcode. DHL couldn't collect because they didn't know where.

I notified Nokia by e-mail, by Direct Chat and by including a note in the package. When it eventually got to Budapest, they took one look and replaced under warranty. 13 days after the phone failed, a new phone arrived. Which failed to switch on within two hours.

They insisted I send their second brick back before they'd replace it. Today, 25 days after the first phone failed and six days after DHL notified me that the second had been signed for by Nokia in Budapest, I demanded an update.

While I was talking to chat, Repair e-mailed me to tell me the brick they'd sent me was beyond repair and not under warranty, and I could swivel.

After I demanded a letter of deadlock so that I could initiate legal action against them, THEN suddenly they escalated my complaint.

I now would not buy a new Nokia with your money.
Ha. Result. Nothing like the threat of legal action to Complaints (yesterday evening) giving them 24 hours or else.

Dear Mr Alien,

I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and trouble you have experienced in trying to address the issue on your mobile phone.

The issue you have encountered is very regrettable and I can fully understand how frustrating and infuriating this must be when you are unable to use your mobile phone as intended. We try to produce the highest quality products, however there is a small percentage that may experience a failure of some kind through their lifecycle. These may be easily identifiable failures or intermittent ones taking a lot longer to identify and often resulting in frustration when not immediately reproducible.

In order to resolve the issue with you device and prevent further disruption to yourself I would like to offer the following: I am able to provide a brand new sales pack Nokia 7.1 or I can provide you with a Nokia 7.2 swap unit (new/like new condition which is not in a sales pack) along with a Nokia Bluetooth headset(BH-605).

Please let me know which is preferred and will action accordingly

Kind Regards,

Matt Channing

Care Director - Europe

HMD Global Oy
I have accepted a new 7.1. What I haven't reported is they sent the brick back anyway, arrived Friday, and my worst fears were confirmed. I gave myself 48 hours over the weekend to calm down before I vented my apoplexy on them.

Karamoja

Old-Salt
I hereby revoke any recommendation I may have made for a Nokia 7.1 on this thread. Ten months down the line, the USB hardware failed (viewing Nokia 7.1 feedback on numerous forums, this seems to be universal. Zero Alpha seems to think that 7.2 is no better). 25 days ago Nokia agreed it was their problem and could I use this shipping label to get DHL to ship the brick to their Budapest Repair Centre? They screwed up the collection information in the barcode. DHL couldn't collect because they didn't know where.

I notified Nokia by e-mail, by Direct Chat and by including a note in the package. When it eventually got to Budapest, they took one look and replaced under warranty. 13 days after the phone failed, a new phone arrived. Which failed to switch on within two hours.

They insisted I send their second brick back before they'd replace it. Today, 25 days after the first phone failed and six days after DHL notified me that the second had been signed for by Nokia in Budapest, I demanded an update.

While I was talking to chat, Repair e-mailed me to tell me the brick they'd sent me was beyond repair and not under warranty, and I could swivel.

After I demanded a letter of deadlock so that I could initiate legal action against them, THEN suddenly they escalated my complaint.

I now would not buy a new Nokia with your money.
That's a bit disconcerting to read because I have a 7.1.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
That's a bit disconcerting to read because I have a 7.1.
I actually liked mine right up to the day they sent a replacement that didn't work. I'll get over it.

Moto G series are usually great value for money (80% of a proper one for £100-150). Lenovo (the same Chinese company that bought the IBM ThinkPad product line) drops a new version every 12 months so make sure you get the current one - they're not good enough to do the "get the previous flagship for cheap" thing.

If you want to spend a bit more the Apple iPhone SE 2 looks very, very impressive - the radios, processors, and sensors out of the iPhone 11 in a smaller package for about a third the money. About the only thing in the 11 that's left out is 3D Touch and I've never heard of anyone using it.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Moto G series are usually great value for money (80% of a proper one for £100-150). Lenovo (the same Chinese company that bought the IBM ThinkPad product line) drops a new version every 12 months so make sure you get the current one - they're not good enough to do the "get the previous flagship for cheap" thing.

If you want to spend a bit more the Apple iPhone SE 2 looks very, very impressive - the radios, processors, and sensors out of the iPhone 11 in a smaller package for about a third the money. About the only thing in the 11 that's left out is 3D Touch and I've never heard of anyone using it.
At IBM when I left five years ago, they were running out of contract with Lenovo. Didn't renew. Quality plummeted even before I left. Some of my former colleagues now use *shudder* Apple.

Latest Threads