New Mobile Phone

Yokel

LE
The other day my Samsung S6 (I think) decided to go tits up - not working at all and display not working. No problem, I thought, as it was insured, so I thought I would go along to the shop, make a claim, and get a replacement. However I was told that there would be an excess to pay so I thought no problem, I can get an upgrade.

I have ended up with another phone, however it does not take a normal USB connection for charging - although to be honest I have only looked quickly. I was also unable to remember my Gmail account, which was annoying as the girl in the shop was doing something to see if my data could be recovered. Most annoyingly there is a considerable price hike. They have given me 15GB of data - how in God's name am I meant to use all that? I was on 1GB per month before, and usually that was okay.

As there is a fourteen day cooling off period, should I go back and change to one that takes a normal USB connector, and a cheaper contract without loads of data I do not need? The girl never explained the USB connector thing - are all new phones the same? Also she never gave me a choice about how much data I want.

Yep, go back and get something else, on a tariff that suits you. If they won't play ball, go to somewhere that offers what you want.

The connection is the latest USB version, there may be an adapter in the box as they are still fairly unusual.
If you are otherwise happy with the phone, see if reducing the data allowance will save much.
Your Google account should offer ways to recover or change your password when you try to log in with your Gmail address.

Last edited:
I have just renewed my mobile contract, gone from 20 Gig of data to 100. Like you, I was wondering WTF, though I use Spotify and BBC sounds while driving, I never got anywhere near 20 Gig.

However, my internet has been fubar the last couple of days. Being able to use my phone personal hotspot, with my main PC to watch catch-up and other stuff has been brilliant.

Q_Man

Old-Salt
The other day my Samsung S6 (I think) decided to go tits up - not working at all and display not working. No problem, I thought, as it was insured, so I thought I would go along to the shop, make a claim, and get a replacement. However I was told that there would be an excess to pay so I thought no problem, I can get an upgrade.

I have ended up with another phone, however it does not take a normal USB connection for charging - although to be honest I have only looked quickly. I was also unable to remember my Gmail account, which was annoying as the girl in the shop was doing something to see if my data could be recovered. Most annoyingly there is a considerable price hike. They have given me 15GB of data - how in God's name am I meant to use all that? I was on 1GB per month before, and usually that was okay.

As there is a fourteen day cooling off period, should I go back and change to one that takes a normal USB connector, and a cheaper contract without loads of data I do not need? The girl never explained the USB connector thing - are all new phones the same? Also she never gave me a choice about how much data I want.

My bold. Seriously? Haven't you heard of Frankie Vaughan? Or do you still use the A5 Swedish magazine you fablonned back in the BAOR days?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
The girl never explained the USB connector thing - are all new phones the same? Also she never gave me a choice about how much data I want.
Not all of them. I think the Google Pixel is one of the phones that only allow you to charge from the power socket as they come supplied with a USB-C to USB-C cable rather than a phone to standard USB. You can get an adapter for not much money though.

The data would be a personal preference obviously. I have 30GB which I never use all of but I'd rather have it than not.

Q_Man

Old-Salt
On a serious note, I'd stick with Samsung. I upgrade every two years and my old phones then cascade down through the various family members. You don't need to learn new functionality, you should be able to transfer your info and they are quality phones.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

A few years ago all the phone companies agreed a standard for phone power cables, USB Micro B. Except Apple. I've just taken delivery of a new Nokia 7.1.

Nipper wanted to.move on from his dumb phone, we got him one. Not a bad package, phone only for about £170 depending how well you shop around. It's never going to compete with Samsung or Apple, but he wanted a phone, not a moon landing computer. Zero Alpha liked it so much I had to buy her one too. So I got one for me too.

Turns out, Nokia don't use USB Micro B either. USB Micro C it turns out, which looks on the face of it like an Apple connector (daughter uses Apple).

I'm nowhere near stressing it after moving my entire Haway phone and its apps across, and a whole lot simpler. Came with Android One (not the same as Android 1.0!) which is a clean Android build without all the bloat built in and hogging the SIM. Promptly updated itself to Android 9.x and added all the bloat, but I understand I can delete it if I choose. Then I added a 64Mb SD card.

And because I don't make calls and don't read the entire internet while I'm out walking, I'm on an O2 (true) PAYG contract.

Free Sim & Pay as You Go Sim – Order for Free Now – O2

£10 when you run out, nothing per month.

Something like £5.99 for a rugged, eye-catching iCatchy case (I think), jobbed.

endure

GCM
It will be USB C which is the latest standard. There should be a charger/cable for it in the box. It's more convenient than Micro USB as you can insert it either way round rather than only one way.

All kit will eventually move to USB C.

You can get adaptors for less than a fiver off Ebay.

Re the data, look at 3. I'm on 12gb data, unlimited minutes/calls for about £12/month. That's only if you own the phone outright.

3 also allow you to use your phone in a number of other countries on some of their plans (including mine) for the same price as in the UK - including the EU, USA, Canada, Aus...

Take it back & tell them to ram it.

If you dont haggle, you will get completely seen off so do your research first.

The USB thing isn't important, you'll get used to it quickly.

The main variables to look for is data and contract type.

If you want a sim only contract you can get fantastic amounts of data. But you'll have to buy the phone outright upfront.

If you want the phone & the data on a contract, you'll pay accordingly for longer.

Best to use your house insurance too rather than paying for additional insurance.

GiffGaff. Rolling monthly contract which you can change to whatever tariff you want when you want. They also sell phones or just buy a phone from elsewhere.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Oneplus. all the performance of samsung and apple, and half the price. the 7 is £500 right now. compare and contrast with what the other two want.

One other point. It appears that 5G isn’t that far away. I’d consider buying a cheaper phone now and then going for a serious upgrade once 5G is up and running.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
what real tangible advantages will 5g bring that we don't already have?

Much faster and can handle much more data. It could kill off the landline internet, hence BT now getting back into the mobile market.
Lol. That decision was up there with HMV deciding to sit out the internet revolution.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Mobile Phones 34
R Mobile Phones 50
Bacongrills The NAAFI Bar 69

Latest Threads