NEW military series - Above and Beyond

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by blobmeister, May 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Above And Beyond celebrates the courage of our armed forces since WWII. Throughout the ten episodes, the series takes a comprehensive look at conflicts ranging from the Troubles in Northern Ireland and the Korean War, to the Falklands and right up to date in Afghanistan.

Using archive footage and first-hand testimonial, Above And Beyond showcases bravery on the front line and tells the human stories behind the battles as the armed forces are tested to the limits.

The series starts five years after the defeat of fascism in Western Europe in WWII. Communism was the new global threat and it was thriving in Korea, where China invaded the north of the country to support her Marchist allies. For the first time, the United Nations sent soldiers into the field, including 4,000 troops from the Gloucester regiment. There the Glosters faced endless attacks from an estimated 70,000 Chinese soldiers…

Looks OK....as long as Fiona Phillips stays away from it!!

Starting on Sky Yesterday on Monday.

2. Like to see the series.
    You misplaced a word or two,
    the United Nations sent soldiers into the field, including 4,000 troops from the Gloucester regiment. There the Glosters faced endless attacks from an estimated 70,000 Chinese soldiers…

should have been
    the United Nations sent soldiers into the field, 4,000 troops INCLUDING the Gloucester regiment. There the Glosters faced endless attacks from an estimated 70,000 Chinese soldier.

john

3. It was a 'cut and paste' job from their website John...SORRY old boy :)

4. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

SNIP
    the United Nations sent soldiers into the field, 4,000 troops INCLUDING the Gloucester regiment. There the Glosters faced endless attacks from an estimated 70,000 Chinese soldier.
    SNIP

Permit me:
    The UN put tens of thouands into the field, predominantly ROK and US - who fielded seven divisions; the UN Command included around 700 men of 1st Battalion, the Gloster regiment. Meanwhile, the Chinese sent a few fellows into action too. From 22-25 April, in the midst of a 305,000 man offensive, the Glosters faced three nights of attacks from around a division (ie about 8,000) enemy soldiers.

I suspect the "4,000" figure refers to the front-line strength of the Glosters' parent formation, 29th Bde. The Bde faced China's 63rd Army, or about 27,000 bayonets. As always, I am irritated that only the Glosters, rather than the full brigade, get the credit for this epic stand.

Sigh....

5. Finally got a copy of your book Andy, long story. Got about a third throw it and a copy of 'No Mercy No Leniency' that I ordered arrived.
    Most interesting book on Treatment of Mainly UK prisoner by the North Koreans, Chinese and Russians.
    Author was Cyril Cunningham who was senior forensic psychologist for UK Defence Intelligence.
    Good read couldn't put it down.

john
    Cheers

6. Thanks for that, it's on today too at 1200. :soldier:

7. I'm part way through 'Soldier Against the Odds' (by Lofty Large) and the description of his treatment by the Chinese in Korea had me thinking - mostly what a hard bastard he must have been! :soldier:

8. Prisoner
    What Have I done wrong ?
    Chinese
    You know what you have done wrong.

And poor squaddei has no idea, so taken away and beaten until he comes up with right answer.

jphn

9. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Well the Chinese DID have a lenient policy for those who were prepared to toe the line and be "progressive." Those who resisted - the "recalcitrants" - had a pretty unpleasent time of it. Most men sat on the fence: IIRC from Large's book, he tried to keep a low profile, which I understand is now how soldiers are trained to act if taken prisoner.

Still, some were determined to resist. I am currently working on a piece on Derek Kinne, GC (mentioned in Large's book, as well as Green's and Farrar-Hockley's).

A remarkable man - the toughest and most bloody minded of all the "recalcitrants" the Chinese dealt with. He is actually a very pleasent, humourous grandfather now; when I introduced him to a pal of mine when he (Derek) was back here a couple of weeks ago, he could not reconcile this kindly, cheerful old gent with the formidable man who frightened even some fellow POWs. Like many ex-POWs of the Chinese, Derek holds no hard feelings for the Chinese today - which is very different to those who were captured by the Japanese (and also the North Koreans).

BTW, I am pretty sure "Above and Beyond" has been shown before: It is largely about the Glosters, but they also do a pretty decent interview with Bill Speakman, VC (currently recovering from a knee op, I believe).

10. Well I won't bother with the rest of the series.

It was aimed at the MTV generation and therefore pitched not to strain their three working brain-cells.

It was fit for purpose in that respect.