New Mid-East peace drive launched

US President George W Bush has said the Israelis and Palestinians have agreed to make every effort to reach a peace agreement before the end of 2008.

Mr Bush said a joint statement had been agreed by the Israeli and Palestinian leaders at a peace conference in Annapolis, near Washington.

At Annapolis are the Palestinian and Israeli leaders as well as senior Syrian and Saudi Arabian delegates.

In the West Bank, one person was killed in a protest against the conference.

Palestinian security forces broke up several protests against the Annapolis gathering, including one in the town of Ramallah. One man was killed in Hebron, Palestinian medical officials said.

There was a further large protest in the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7114396.stm

Maybe, just maybe this time?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah, they'll get an agreement and deal with Hamas and the Israeli PM, and then Fatah will let off some bombs, some more olive groves will be stolen by the settlers . . .

How are you going to get any of them to agree on Jerusalem?

Peace, it won't happen in my life time.

And where's the new super peace envoy Tony " I didn't start the war" Bliar!

PartTimePongo said:
US President George W Bush has said the Israelis and Palestinians have agreed to make every effort to reach a peace agreement before the end of 2008.

Mr Bush said a joint statement had been agreed by the Israeli and Palestinian leaders at a peace conference in Annapolis, near Washington.

At Annapolis are the Palestinian and Israeli leaders as well as senior Syrian and Saudi Arabian delegates.

In the West Bank, one person was killed in a protest against the conference.

Palestinian security forces broke up several protests against the Annapolis gathering, including one in the town of Ramallah. One man was killed in Hebron, Palestinian medical officials said.

There was a further large protest in the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7114396.stm

Maybe, just maybe this time?
Sadly there is no chance of this peace drive bringing peace.

I regret that,after previous attempts at this(Oslo etc),the Middle East is more split and factionated,than ever before.The notion of the US trying to 'knock heads together' has a hollow ring,after their attempts to foist democracy on countries in the region.If money is given to the factions in Gaza and The West Bank,where will it end up?Unless the economic and political factions in the region can be made to stick together,there will be only hot air coming from Annapolis.

Having seen the responses of some of those on the American Right and the more evangelical, as well as the normal Israeli talking heads pointing out in no uncertain terms that they took Jerusalem and the other side will just have to lump it, I fear you are right Badger.

Murphy_Slaw said:
How are you going to get any of them to agree on Jerusalem?

Peace, it won't happen in my life time.

And where's the new super peace envoy Tony " I didn't start the war" Bliar!
An agreement was made on Jerusalem, which resulted in lead injections for Rabin.

Hunt out the DVD 'Elusive Peace', full of interviews by the players on all sides - as well as facts about the various peace accords in the last decade or two

watch the press
His time will come
the wheels of justice turn

it may be slow but they'll get him sooner or later i hope

slightly off subject
Phoney Tony did his glad handing the troops bit whilst i was in Shaibiza (2004/05) asked by my BC if i was going to see the then PM , i turned around and thanked him for his concern and asked if he wanted to be in Iraq illegally?
BC turned away muttering about barrack room lawyers
Mind you the BSM actually started talking to me after that ( he hated TA soldiers even ex regs)

Darth

Seeing as we are off topic, can You show me any piece of UN literature that made the actions in Sierra Leone legal using Your definitions of Iraqi illegality?

TEHRAN, Iran - President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Wednesday the U.S.-hosted Mideast peace conference was a "failure" and that Israel is doomed to "collapse," lashing out at the Annapolis meeting that is widely seen as isolating Iran.

The comments were the first time in months that the hard-line Ahmadinejad has used such strong anti-Israeli rhetoric, highlighting Tehran's bitterness toward the conference, which its closest Arab ally Syria attended.

"It is impossible that the Zionist regime will survive. Collapse is in the nature of this regime because it has been created on aggression, lying, oppression and crime," Ahmadinejad said after a Cabinet meeting, according to state-run television.
Story continues below ?advertisement

"Soon, even the most politically doltish individuals will understand that this conference was a failure from the beginning," he said in comments reported by the official IRNA news agency.

'Resistance' should be heard
Iran has repeatedly condemned the conference, saying it would fail to bring any peace for the Palestinians and warning that it will discredit Arab countries who participated. Iran on Tuesday expresses surprise that Damascus participated in the gathering, although it has stopped short of directly criticizing its ally.

Ahmadinejad said the Palestinian "resistance" -- such as Hamas, which is backed by Tehran -- must have a say in any settlement.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22005744/

I think they lost their say a while ago. Hamas will eventually be seen as a hindrance once pals start seeing the benefits of a peace accord with israel.

ghost_us said:
TEHRAN, Iran - President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Wednesday the U.S.-hosted Mideast peace conference was a "failure" and that Israel is doomed to "collapse," lashing out at the Annapolis meeting that is widely seen as isolating Iran.

The comments were the first time in months that the hard-line Ahmadinejad has used such strong anti-Israeli rhetoric, highlighting Tehran's bitterness toward the conference, which its closest Arab ally Syria attended.

"It is impossible that the Zionist regime will survive. Collapse is in the nature of this regime because it has been created on aggression, lying, oppression and crime," Ahmadinejad said after a Cabinet meeting, according to state-run television.

"Soon, even the most politically doltish individuals will understand that this conference was a failure from the beginning," he said in comments reported by the official IRNA news agency.

Iran has repeatedly condemned the conference, saying it would fail to bring any peace for the Palestinians and warning that it will discredit Arab countries who participated. Iran on Tuesday expresses surprise that Damascus participated in the gathering, although it has stopped short of directly criticizing its ally.

Ahmadinejad said the Palestinian "resistance" -- such as Hamas, which is backed by Tehran -- must have a say in any settlement.

I think they lost their say a while ago. Hamas will eventually be seen as a hindrance once pals start seeing the benefits of a peace accord with israel.
The bearded midget isn't the only one that thinks DC is jerking off into a dry cloth here.

For the Pals it's Israel heavy on your neck either way. Israel offers no concession and why should they. Israel's moral position may be less morally defensible than Serbia's but they have have the backing of US Evangelicals. They are faced by a feeble generation of US politicians too weak to pursue a Palestinian state, a privately stated goal of every US administration since LBJ.

With Hamas obviously having an electoral mandate I think all this charade may achieve is to terminally compromise Fatah.

"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." Galatians 6:7

ghost_us said:
....I think they lost their say a while ago. Hamas will eventually be seen as a hindrance once pals start seeing the benefits of a peace accord with israel.
Something like that has been tried already - it was called the Oslo Accords!! However, a slim chance that dialogue may reap results eventually should never be discounted.

Hamas had no desire to attend Annapolis and their demonstrations in Gaza indicate either a) strong Gazan public opposition to any such dialogue or b) the grip that Hamas has on the place. The Gazans are welcome to their democratic choice, but they also have to live with it's results.

Arik said:
ghost_us said:
....I think they lost their say a while ago. Hamas will eventually be seen as a hindrance once pals start seeing the benefits of a peace accord with israel.
Something like that has been tried already - it was called the Oslo Accords!! However, a slim chance that dialogue may reap results eventually should never be discounted.

Hamas had no desire to attend Annapolis and their demonstrations in Gaza indicate either a) strong Gazan public opposition to any such dialogue or b) the grip that Hamas has on the place. The Gazans are welcome to their democratic choice, but they also have to live with it's results.
I agree, who's going to argue with the guys with the guns?

I think what's dynamic here is the split. Isolate Hamas in gaza while building the pal state in the west bank. If you can successfully pull it off you may very get the north korea/south korea affect where the gaza people see how well off the west bank folks are simply cause they finally agreed to a peace accord with Israel. That being the case they would view Hamas as an obstacle to a better life.

Not saying it's an easy thing to accomplish but I certainly do think it's feasible.

alib said:
ghost_us said:

The bearded midget isn't the only one that thinks DC is jerking off into a dry cloth here.

For the Pals it's Israel heavy on your neck either way. Israel offers no concession and why should they. Israel's moral position may be less morally defensible than Serbia's but they have have the backing of US Evangelicals. They are faced by a feeble generation of US politicians too weak to pursue a Palestinian state, a privately stated goal of every US administration since LBJ.

With Hamas obviously having an electoral mandate I think all this charade may achieve is to terminally compromise Fatah.

"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." Galatians 6:7
Your bold, they may have a mandate, and if you ask me a questionable one. They also have/had a private army loyal to a single party and not the state. Not exactly government for the people, by the people if you ask me.