Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New MI5 chief says UK facing 'nasty mix' of threats

For some reason there is a reluctance to prosecute for Misconduct In Public Office. I think if it was used more it would discourage those who choose to look the other way so as not to rock the boat. It would help rebuild integrity in public life and help restore public confidence in our institutions.

It would reduce the potential for foreign disinformation and interference.
I can think of at least one MOD SCS who was prosecuted for Misconduct and received a custodial sentence

For some reason there is a reluctance to prosecute for Misconduct In Public Office. I think if it was used more it would discourage those who choose to look the other way so as not to rock the boat. It would help rebuild integrity in public life and help restore public confidence in our institutions.

It would reduce the potential for foreign disinformation and interference.
Too bloody right.
I don't know how many times over the years I have heard about top people - caught doing wrong - having to resign.

And that seems to be the end of it.

Sabretooth

War Hero
Which is in collusion with and probably financed by the three countries named, i.e. the Peoples Republic of China, Iran and Russia.

We also know current and former politicians have been and are in the pay of these countries in various capacities such as working for media organisations like Press TV and RT, the Russian propaganda channel.

The importation of the 5th column is also ongoing, as recent arrivals in Kent has shown.
Forgive me, But I always thought MI6 was the company dealing with foreign affairs and problems, while MI 5 dealt with internal affairs and problems?

Yokel

LE
If only international terorrist groups, foreign based subversive groups, and hostile intelligence services could limit their activities to overseas locations... As they do not, MI5 and the Special Branch of various police forces will continue to be busy.

Good citizenship and security awareness will also make us less vulnerable.

Yokel

LE
Fraud epidemic is now 'national security threat' - BBC News

The private sector takes the biggest financial losses. One estimate from 2017 put the cost of fraud to businesses at £140bn.

Fraud against the public sector, including benefit, tax credit and student loan fraud, is estimated to cost £31-48bn a year, the upper figure larger than the UK's annual defence budget.

The losses go beyond the financial, the authors say.

"Fraud has the potential to disrupt society in multiple ways, by psychologically impacting individuals, undermining the viability of businesses, putting pressure on public services, fuelling organised crime and funding terrorism," they add.

Fraud epidemic is now 'national security threat' - BBC News

The private sector takes the biggest financial losses. One estimate from 2017 put the cost of fraud to businesses at £140bn.
Fraud against the public sector, including benefit, tax credit and student loan fraud, is estimated to cost £31-48bn a year, the upper figure larger than the UK's annual defence budget.

The losses go beyond the financial, the authors say.

"Fraud has the potential to disrupt society in multiple ways, by psychologically impacting individuals, undermining the viability of businesses, putting pressure on public services, fuelling organised crime and funding terrorism," they add.
Losses of up to £140bn, but nationally, the Police is struggling to find and fund trained detectives. In a previous life spent trying to minimise losses in the gold, precious gemstone and diamond mining industries, that would be a 'clue' to mismanagement, and a cue to shout very loudly about it.

Yokel

LE
MI5 have been involved in giving security advice to organisations involved in vaccine research., as have other Government departments:

I suppose that it is a sign of the times that during a pandemic efforts to counter the virus have to be protected from criminals and disinformation from foreign powers.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
As for organised crime: See Crimestoppers

The types of criminal activities that gangs are involved in include class A drug dealing, child criminal exploitation, cyber-crime, the use of weapons and violence and human trafficking. Other indicators of serious organised crime could be money laundering or people living beyond their means from the proceeds of crime.

MI5 have been involved in giving security advice to organisations involved in vaccine research., as have other Government departments:

I suppose that it is a sign of the times that during a pandemic efforts to counter the virus have to be protected from criminals and disinformation from foreign powers.
One of the many concerns in both NTP and Vaccine delivery is HS or OCG use of Malware and Ransomeware. Although DHSC and NHS systems are reasonably secure, third party contractors and suppliers (be they courier firms or kit manufacturers) are less likely to be secure.

2. When I was at school, one of the books we read was related to the Falklands, and asked you to imagine catching an Argentine diplomat/journalist in a sensitive location.
Up until reasonably recently, the movement of X and D plated vehicles outside of the M25 were subject to monitoring and reporting.

Yokel

LE
Up until reasonably recently, the movement of X and D plated vehicles outside of the M25 were subject to monitoring and reporting.

D = Diplomatic
X = ?

I have not yet listened to any of the podcasts by Deborah Haynes, but I expect that MI5 and allied agencies will have their work out out in the age of the Grey Zone, with accidents happening to disrupting facilities and capabilities at inconvenient times.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Current Affairs so not appropriate - please don't do it again
Can we chuck a cruise missile into the Labour Party conference?

Yokel

LE
Can we chuck a cruise missile into the Labour Party conference?

No. Certain members of the party leadership might mistake it for a bandwagon and jump on it.

Going back to what @Filthy_contract said, is there a national system for reporting 'the absence of the normal, and the presence of the abnormal'?

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
The Iranians are doing cyber espionage in the West.

The 600 successful infections are said to have included dissidents, opposition forces and people belonging to the Kurdish ethnic minority in:

• Iran
  • the US
  • Great Britain
  • Pakistan
  • Afghanistan
  • Turkey
  • Uzbekistan
The other group, Infy, is said to have been operating as far back as 2007.
Its most recent activity had targeted PCs, with fake emails with attractive content, usually with an attached document, Check Point said.
One example provided was of a document apparently about loans being offered to disabled veterans.

No. Certain members of the party leadership might mistake it for a bandwagon and jump on it.

Going back to what @Filthy_contract said, is there a national system for reporting 'the absence of the normal, and the presence of the abnormal'?
Do you mean this?

If it is about a foreign country, try this:

D = Diplomatic
X = ?

I have not yet listened to any of the podcasts by Deborah Haynes, but I expect that MI5 and allied agencies will have their work out out in the age of the Grey Zone, with accidents happening to disrupting facilities and capabilities at inconvenient times.
Consular and accredited international missions, if I recall correctly.

Latest Threads