Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New MI5 chief says UK facing 'nasty mix' of threats

Yokel

LE
How does MI5 contribute to national resilience and the whole force? If we accept that every major nation state is capable of intelligence gathering, then during an international crisis they will be involved in countering that.

Additionally Moscow and Beijing seem to be waging a propaganda war against our national institutions, including the emergency services and the NHS. Why? For instance rumour spreading after the Manchester Arena terrorist attack.

Additionally Moscow and Beijing seem to be waging a propaganda war against our national institutions, including the emergency services and the NHS. Why? For instance rumour spreading after the Manchester Arena terrorist attack.
Because nothing distracts people from more important stuff than sewing the seeds of doubt about national institutions. It’s even more effective these days with the exponential growth of conspiracy theories on social media. People seem totally credulous and will believe anything you tell them if it’s more exciting than mundane reality.

Yokel

LE
Has there ever been a proven or suspected case of hostile special forces conducting operations on Western territory or terrorists acting as proxies for some hostile regime? Hezbollah is supposed to have a presence in the UK and does what Tehran says. Gaddafi supported the IRA and every other terrorist group. Saddam Hussein liked murdering his exiled opponents.

Has there ever been a proven or suspected case of hostile special forces conducting operations on Western territory or terrorists acting as proxies for some hostile regime? Hezbollah is supposed to have a presence in the UK and does what Tehran says. Gaddafi supported the IRA and every other terrorist group. Saddam Hussein liked murdering his exiled opponents.
The term "special forces" would indicate some official state sanctioned activity.

Yokel

LE
The term "special forces" would indicate some official state sanctioned activity.

Yes - are you suggesting that Iran does not direct Hezbollah etc using the Qods? I think I am right in thinking the 1980 siege of the Iranian Embassy was directed by Saddam Hussein's intelligence people? The Argentine dictatorship was prepared to attack British ships in Gibraltar.

Like the GRU v Skripal et al?

Personally surprised that Iran is listed in the first tier of state-actor threats given that they're nearly bankrupt and have been slashing funding for their proxies. And China isn't keen on giving them any cash ( just the usual infrastructure investment offers ).
I was wondering that, wouldnt that be the realms of MI6, I mean, blocking the gulf would be awfully inconvenient, but by the time we had assembled a paper, scheduled a Cobra, talked about sanctions or sending protest ships, the US would have bombed them back to the stone age and it would be BAU.

Fuk kind of a threat is Iran to the UK, Turkey, Poland (they owe us), Germans and France are all in the way, the Mad Mullah can wobble his head off but he isnt getting past Turkey right now.

Yokel

LE
When I was at school I read the book Spetsnaz by Viktor Suvorov. It talked of cells of agents preparing hides and supply caches, a boat being used as the platform for an attack against the Fyllingdale radars, aircraft being downed by MANPADS, and causing all sorts of problems.

When I was at school I read the book Spetsnaz by Viktor Suvorov. It talked of cells of agents preparing hides and supply caches, a boat being used as the platform for an attack against the Fyllingdale radars, aircraft being downed by MANPADS, and causing all sorts of problems.

Most people if they saw a hide would assume it's a homeless person living there and not investigate any further, a Russian sleeper wouldn't be the first thing that comes to mind

They might find some of their stuff stolen though

Didn't need Ivan to meddle in it, it was already on a loser when they published a "white paper" that was clearly based upon unicorn droppings and easily countered as such. It seems the Big Bear threat of meddling is as effective as their poisoning attempts are at achieving a fatality - poor.

Although admittedly the YesNP are getting very good at persistently dripping poison in the ears of the simple-minded but this could be traced back more to a Joseph with a Germanic accent, plus one of a Georgian hint with a trace of a Maoist inflection. But this may be less from direct coaching because, more helpfully to the separatist cadre, we live in a free country with mandatory education where there is plenty of source material that can be used to learn from.

It would appear that the Russians are sympathetic to Britain First and causing our security forces some concern Police ‘completely unjustified’ in using terror law, claims Britain First leader
snip "The leader of far-right political group Britain First has claimed police were “completely unjustified” in using terrorism legislation to ask for access to his mobile phone after he returned from a political trip to Russia.
Paul Golding, 38, was stopped by Metropolitan Police officers at Heathrow Airport in October last year on his way back from visiting the Russian parliament in Moscow
. "

Yokel

LE
It would appear that the Russians are sympathetic to Britain First and causing our security forces some concern Police ‘completely unjustified’ in using terror law, claims Britain First leader
snip "The leader of far-right political group Britain First has claimed police were “completely unjustified” in using terrorism legislation to ask for access to his mobile phone after he returned from a political trip to Russia.
Paul Golding, 38, was stopped by Metropolitan Police officers at Heathrow Airport in October last year on his way back from visiting the Russian parliament in Moscow
. "

They like him because he is a trouble maker and says and does things that are very decisive. He also seeks the undermine the stability of society and the rule of law. No wonder he is seen as a useful idiot.

How are ethnic minorities treated by the Putin regime?

The extreme right wing have often been happy to aid adversaries.

No mention of our home grown /imported 5th column then?
I don’t think there’s an issue there. They’re happy to sit about giving the big hard Football Factory ring wing hooligan gang nonsense, but not one of them has the bollocks to go out and commit mass murder on all “the bloody Muslims”

I don’t think there’s an issue there. They’re happy to sit about giving the big hard Football Factory ring wing hooligan gang nonsense, but not one of them has the bollocks to go out and commit mass murder on all “the bloody Muslims”
Except, of course, across three Mosques in Christchurch.

I wasn’t talking about New Zealand, I was talking about the scum in Britain

But it is increasingly more likely to happen in the UK, but probably without firearms.
I can’t see it. All I see is brain damaged Neanderthal types gobbing off about racist shit, not one has the bollocks to do anything drastic like blow up a mosque or machine gun a crowd of Muslims

To this day I fear having my number plate noted by Spetznaz... or watching me cracking one off.

I can’t see it. All I see is brain damaged Neanderthal types gobbing off about racist shit, not one has the bollocks to do anything drastic like blow up a mosque or machine gun a crowd of Muslims
If a population of 5 million can produce Anders Breivik and 25 million can produce Brendan Tarrant (both from relatively stable and otherwise sane countries ie not the US), I'm wondering why the UK with a population of 68 million hasn't produced an XRW mass killer? I do wonder if that is something that keeps DG Security Service awake at night.

Yokel

LE
The CPNI took over the role of providing counter terrorism advice from MI5 some years ago. Although this document is given the title of 'Protecting Against Terrorism', the physical, personnel, and cyber security advice will also help mitigate against threats such as violent protests and sensitive information being acquired by hostile competitors.

Protecting Against Terrorism

Latest Threads