Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New MI5 chief says UK facing 'nasty mix' of threats

Feel better now?
Last time I saw a grown up briefing (which admittedly was two years ago now) the definition of 'XRW' included Islamic terrorists.
So a growth and warning about XRW is more about blokes getting choppy and pressing the button on their suicide vest, than some twats marching down the road yelling Heil Hitler.
It's only the press which seem to have had the disconnect, and translate XRW as meaning our deranged non-Labour types.

Yokel

LE
Just a few things to add - relating the the Falklands and Gulf Wars:

1. There was an Argentine plot to attack British shipping (with divers and limpet mines) in Gibraltar during the Falklands War. MI5 would have been involved in countering that.

2. When I was at school, one of the books we read was related to the Falklands, and asked you to imagine catching an Argentine diplomat/journalist in a sensitive location.

3. Is there any evidence that Saddam Hussein and his intelligence services were connected to the IRA mortar attack against 10 Downing Street in January 1991?

I know it's a bit radical (SWIDT), but surely curtailing the rise of XRW and the sectarianisation of the mainland UK could be achieved to some degree by... er... not letting every ****er in and ramming ethnicity down peoples' throats? The fact that such seems to be policy indicates to me that they are deliberately fomenting a divided society.

1. There was an Argentine plot to attack British shipping (with divers and limpet mines) in Gibraltar during the Falklands War. MI5 would have been involved in countering that.

2. When I was at school, one of the books we read was related to the Falklands, and asked you to imagine catching an Argentine diplomat/journalist in a sensitive location.

3. Is there any evidence that Saddam Hussein and his intelligence services were connected to the IRA mortar attack against 10 Downing Street in January 1991?
Eh? Oh OK I'll play.
1. Maybe. Everybody would have been involved in that.
2. Arrest and enhanced interrogation immediately. Any lawyers attempting to help charged with treason and arrested. Held in the The Tower.
3. No except in some susceptible minds.

a divided society
...is the very definition of a multicultural one, and vice-versa. The only (relatively) successful one I can think of is currently Switzerland, although I may be wrong there. No republic, kingdom or empire ever seems to survive for long without a very significant degree of unity, whether by imposition or consent.

Yokel

LE
I am sure they were reports of explosions at US facilities during and in the run up to the Gulf conflict - naval fuel storage in Virginia if I remember correctly, which the media linked to Saddam.

Sabotage by deluded peaceniks or sympathisers with adversaries is a real threat to our capabilities.

Dredd

LE
According to this, Ivan did "meddle" in 2014.

Didn't need Ivan to meddle in it, it was already on a loser when they published a "white paper" that was clearly based upon unicorn droppings and easily countered as such. It seems the Big Bear threat of meddling is as effective as their poisoning attempts are at achieving a fatality - poor.

Although admittedly the YesNP are getting very good at persistently dripping poison in the ears of the simple-minded but this could be traced back more to a Joseph with a Germanic accent, plus one of a Georgian hint with a trace of a Maoist inflection. But this may be less from direct coaching because, more helpfully to the separatist cadre, we live in a free country with mandatory education where there is plenty of source material that can be used to learn from.

Last time I saw a grown up briefing (which admittedly was two years ago now) the definition of 'XRW' included Islamic terrorists.
So a growth and warning about XRW is more about blokes getting choppy and pressing the button on their suicide vest, than some twats marching down the road yelling Heil Hitler.
It's only the press which seem to have had the disconnect, and translate XRW as meaning our deranged non-Labour types.
The. briefing specifically listed Islamist terrorism as the greatest terrorist threat but DG remained concerned about the rapid rise of White National extremism.

Operation Algeciras. Someone working in a car hire company told the Spanish police the man was acting suspiciously and had been paying for a hire car week by week in US dollars. Spanish police told him to say when he was next due in and they were waiting for him. Caught the other two involved in their beds in a hotel. At first they thought they were criminals but the three guys confessed to being Argentine commandos who were going to row across the bay and blow up a British ship in Gibraltar. Don't think MI5 were involved at all. The idea was to make UK keep ships in the European area but they delayed so long the task force was well on its way south.
The whole operation including the deportation back to BA via the Canaries was handled by the Spanish police and even the Spanish intelligence service wasn't informed although Nigel West claimed, years later, the Brits had intercepted telephone calls and informed Madrid of a possible plot. No evidence ever produced, though.
2. When I was at school, one of the books we read was related to the Falklands, and asked you to imagine catching an Argentine diplomat/journalist in a sensitive location.I
Sucking the toes of a Chelsea supporter?
Libya maybe. Haven't read anything about Iraqi involvement with the IRA. There was a conspiracy theory that they'd asked Iraq for funding before the Omagh bombing but several ME countries were mentioned as well.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
Operation Algeciras. Someone working in a car hire company told the Spanish police the man was acting suspiciously and had been paying for a hire car week by week in US dollars. Spanish police told him to say when he was next due in and they were waiting for him. Caught the other two involved in their beds in a hotel. At first they thought they were criminals but the three guys confessed to being Argentine commandos who were going to row across the bay and blow up a British ship in Gibraltar. Don't think MI5 were involved at all. The idea was to make UK keep ships in the European area but they delayed so long the task force was well on its way south.
The whole operation including the deportation back to BA via the Canaries was handled by the Spanish police and even the Spanish intelligence service wasn't informed although Nigel West claimed, years later, the Brits had intercepted telephone calls and informed Madrid of a possible plot. No evidence ever produced, though.

Sucking the toes of a Chelsea supporter?

Libya maybe. Haven't read anything about Iraqi involvement with the IRA. There was a conspiracy theory that they'd asked Iraq for funding before the Omagh bombing but several ME countries were mentioned as well.

You are right. The Argentines who tried to attach Gibraltar never stepped on Gibraltarian soil, as such MI5 never would have been involved. I think GCHQ were though.

The larger point is that hostile intelligence services can operate in our backyard. The Apartheid regime is alleged to have killed people in the UK, and the Argentine dictatorship murdered an opponent on the streets of Washington DC.

With the advent of hybrid warfare - time to think about vulnerabilities and protection.

Personally surprised that Iran is listed in the first tier of state-actor threats given that they're nearly bankrupt and have been slashing funding for their proxies. And China isn't keen on giving them any cash ( just the usual infrastructure investment offers ).

Yokel

LE
Personally surprised that Iran is listed in the first tier of state-actor threats given that they're nearly bankrupt and have been slashing funding for their proxies. And China isn't keen on giving them any cash ( just the usual infrastructure investment offers ).

They are a threat in the Middle East, a threat to shipping, a sponsor of terrorism - for example Hezbollah acts as their proxy, have been willing to supply advanced weapons such as anti ship missiles to them and other non state actors, and are Involved in things like espionage and stealing intellectual property.

Eh? Oh OK I'll play.
1. Maybe. Everybody would have been involved in that.
2. Arrest and enhanced interrogation immediately. Any lawyers attempting to help charged with treason and arrested. Held in the The Tower.
3. No except in some susceptible minds.
Your answer to 2 is not compatible with British (not European or international) law in the sense that everyone is entitled to legal counsel. We're quick enough to criticize other governments for preventing our citizens from being suitably represented (well, ones we like anyway).

Your answer to 2 is not compatible with British (not European or international) law in the sense that everyone is entitled to legal counsel. We're quick enough to criticize other governments for preventing our citizens from being suitably represented (well, ones we like anyway).
You weren't doing sarcasm when you typed that were you?

Latest Threads