Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New MI5 chief says UK facing 'nasty mix' of threats

Yokel

LE
New MI5 chief says UK facing 'nasty mix' of threats - BBC

Russian, Chinese and Iranian espionage and disruption is all growing in severity and complexity, said Mr McCallum.

The threats are to people, the economy, infrastructure, academic research and democracy.

MI5 has an operational role in investigating certain individuals and disrupting their activities, and a protective role building up UK's resilience in the cyber and physical spheres.

Dealing with China requires a complicated balance, he said.

He said there is a need to work with China on issues like climate change, but at the same time to be robust in confronting its covert activity.

New legislation is expected to make a big difference in bringing the law up to date in criminalising what foreign espionage agents get up to inside Britain.

Mr McCallum used a meteorological analogy, saying Russia was like bad weather but China was a far greater challenge in the long-term and more like climate change.

Maple

LE
"Nasty mix of threats?" Crumbs DM, is Colonel K back in control?

1602926119421.png

Mr McCallum used a meteorological analogy, saying Russia was like bad weather but China was a far greater challenge in the long-term and more like climate change.

When says it's more like climate change

Does he mean the threat from China is exaggerated, and will we get repeated calls of only x years to save the planet from China?

Dr Death

War Hero
Back in the 80's these 3 would have sorted it out.
1602929577378.png

These days its more like.
1602929640180.png

No mention of our home grown /imported 5th column then?

Which is in collusion with and probably financed by the three countries named, i.e. the Peoples Republic of China, Iran and Russia.

We also know current and former politicians have been and are in the pay of these countries in various capacities such as working for media organisations like Press TV and RT, the Russian propaganda channel.

The importation of the 5th column is also ongoing, as recent arrivals in Kent has shown.

Yokel

LE
Personally I go with what I heard at a security presentation, that is that the greatest thread to security is the common perception that no such threat exists.

I put the word 'democracy' in bold when I was quoting the DG of M15 because Russia and other interference in democratic systems and processes is real. What of the Russian assistance to the SNP and their lobby?

Both Beijing and Moscow have used COVID-19 conspiracies to try to undermine trust in Western institutions.

Last edited:

aardvark64

War Hero
Personally I go with what I heard at a security presentation, that is that the greatest thread to security is the common perception that no such threat exists.

I put the word 'democracy' in bold when I was quoting the DG of M15 because Russiab and other interference in democratic systems and processes is real. What of the Russian assistance to the SNP and their lobby?

Both Beijing and Moscow have used COVID-19 conspiracies to try to undermine trust in Western institutions.
Looks like they managed to silence @Yokel pretty well there...

Latest Threads