New Members

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by The_Snail, Apr 4, 2011.

1. No - 48 hours to gather their thoughts.

54 vote(s)
  2. Yes - let them post shite and bollocks and wind people up.

21 vote(s)
  3. Yes - I actually have something decent to say.

8 vote(s)
  4. Your dog is the sexiest dog in NATO.

43 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sirs,

Is there any chance that "New Members" can have a cooling off period* before they start posting?

Over the last two weeks it has been painful to read some of the terrific dog toffee they are making my eyes bleed with.

A mere 48 hours would suffice. I know that you mods are busy and all that, but ffs, these lot are something special:

A Day Late

to name but a few. They are making the "Old and Bold" of us scrap against each other and instigating fights. Albeit " Harsh Font" and handbags - but it's not the point. There are people on here who have been here a long time, and the sudden influx of ********* is doing their heads in. (Yes, I asked on my FB).

Is there anything in this?

*heheheeee: I said period.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. its just you and your MPD.
  3. /me You're not in chat now, you mong. Just vote.
  4. yeah why not, but instead of 48 hours make it a firing squad for the likes of SA80cumshot
  5. I think 48 hours is too little, but that's just me. The rules are there, easily enough to read and understand; spend some time reading and getting a feel for the place, before posting.
    I agree with Dale (but only this once)!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Hi,

I think this would be a great idea , kinell sluggy has said something sensible :biggrin:

Kind regards,
    • Like Like x 1
  7. corr its that bloke off the telly
  8. Makes sense to me and it'll soon be the school holidays.
  9. When I was lad new posters knew their place...........grumble grumble yoof of today etc etc.
  10. Given that most new posters appear to have been lurking for some time, a 48 hour cooling off period isn't going to make a lot of difference to the site and the quantity of junk posted. Many new posters want some info yesterday and bite the bullet, expecting flak in return for (hopefully) getting some scraps of useful info.

Far better would be a bit of discipline amongst the regular ARRSErs, maybe aided by a visual aid. E.g. a new poster could have an "L Plate" avatar for the first month or first 10 posts, whichever is longer, and established ARRSErs would be forbidden from making discourteous or other unhelpful posts while the "L Plate" is displayed (unless the thread ends up in the Hole).

Nouveau Trolls would get bored because nobody is playing their game, newcomers who are genuinely seeking help would get it and newcomers who want to play grown up can do so. Once they lose their "L Plates", they can slide into second childhood like the rest of us.

Along with an L Plate, new users could be awarded a Troll Cloak button. 10 clicks on it by different established ARRSErs and they are typing to themselves...
    • Like Like x 15
  11. That too is a great idea. I think that the general feel is some kind of control needs to be put in place. However this happens, is up to the site owners to decide; but something needs to be done.
  12. When you were a lad pontious was on his pilots course

If a 48 hour cooling off period isn't possible how about limiting the number of posts you can start in a set amount of time?

if might help slow the tide of cretinous dribble that sweeps the boards every now and then.
  13. theres people coming on making me look mature and reposed and i don't like it one bit
    other boards have learner forums where you can't come play with the grown ups till you've made a couple of posts therein
    plus a waiting period of course, a month should do it for the necky twunts!
  14. Perhaps it would be better to restrict nigs to not being able to start a thread until they've completed a certain number of posts, say 20. If mods find a nig is posting crap then they delete the account before they're able to start threads.

Of course it's too late with Sluggie.....................................................
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Maybe limit new users to a maximum of 2 or 3 posts per hour during their first 48 hours, or not let them start threads until they've been on the boards for a while

Then again, it's been 8,000 posts and this is Sluggys first decent one
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.