Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by slugger41, Sep 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning. Im currently in the throws of applying to the RLC (reserve) in Wales. Professional qualifications are not a problem, but at the upper limit of joining (41), and being into lifting big weights, I got a bit of a sweat on regarding the fitness requirements. Any pointers from anyone??

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Hmm. What is your BMI baby?

3. RLC have fitness requirements? News to me..

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

For the RLC (V), the fitness requirements are at the lowest end of the spectrum and should be easily achievable. Change a few weights sessions for runs and you will have no problem.

5. You'd better explain that in laymans terms! As when it comes to the gym, its always turn right and hit the weights lol. seriously, if you could explain, It would be much appreciated!

6. Just made sure you can do more heaves at ADSC than the Roider than turned up to my selection. 2 in case you were wondering.

7. That's good to hear, may give the bike a beasting, to ease into working out over longer period of time. as now im all geared up for 3 big lifts that are over in seconds, as opposed to hours! Or maybe I could kick off on the treadmill

8. I don't touch all that crap. diet is good, just a matter of adjusting the workout! Great advice from you all tho

9. Have you passed selection yet? If not get out and get a few runs under your belt, plot a 1.5 mile route and see how fast you can get round it.

10. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

At your selection weekend, you will be required to do the bag lift (max weight 40kg from floor to a platform 1.2m (IIRC) above the ground, walk max 150m carrying two jerrycans full of water and a 2.4km risk reduction run in under 14 minutes. Once trained, the basic fitness requirements are not much different for a 41 year old in the RLC.

11. After going round in circles on the MOD website, I rang Maindy Depot direct today. Had a instructive chat with an Officer, who basically said, after going thru my Qualifications etc etc,said to me, given your style of fitness, the only minor concern I have would be my ability to pass the basic fitness test. However, I reckon I could squeak it (running aspect), by leaving the weights alone for a while, and concentration on my cardio! Basically the ball is my court.

12. what is a risk reduction run??

13. Laymans terms you say. Well, the RLC require you to take a right turn just before you enter the gym and head towards the nearest burger van.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

It is a run (2.4km) at a sedate pace (14 minutes to pass for your chosed unit) to check that you have a base level of fitness sufficient to start training. In short, if you can't shuffle 1.5 miles in 14 minutes then any further exercise may cause risk to you, so you won't be allowed to start training until you can run it in under 14 minutes.