• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Morning. Im currently in the throws of applying to the RLC (reserve) in Wales. Professional qualifications are not a problem, but at the upper limit of joining (41), and being into lifting big weights, I got a bit of a sweat on regarding the fitness requirements. Any pointers from anyone??

The_Duke

LE
For the RLC (V), the fitness requirements are at the lowest end of the spectrum and should be easily achievable. Change a few weights sessions for runs and you will have no problem.

You'd better explain that in laymans terms! As when it comes to the gym, its always turn right and hit the weights lol. seriously, if you could explain, It would be much appreciated!

For the RLC (V), the fitness requirements are at the lowest end of the spectrum and should be easily achievable. Change a few weights sessions for runs and you will have no problem.
That's good to hear, may give the bike a beasting, to ease into working out over longer period of time. as now im all geared up for 3 big lifts that are over in seconds, as opposed to hours! Or maybe I could kick off on the treadmill

The_Duke

LE
At your selection weekend, you will be required to do the bag lift (max weight 40kg from floor to a platform 1.2m (IIRC) above the ground, walk max 150m carrying two jerrycans full of water and a 2.4km risk reduction run in under 14 minutes. Once trained, the basic fitness requirements are not much different for a 41 year old in the RLC.

After going round in circles on the MOD website, I rang Maindy Depot direct today. Had a instructive chat with an Officer, who basically said, after going thru my Qualifications etc etc,said to me, given your style of fitness, the only minor concern I have would be my ability to pass the basic fitness test. However, I reckon I could squeak it (running aspect), by leaving the weights alone for a while, and concentration on my cardio! Basically the ball is my court.

At your selection weekend, you will be required to do the bag lift (max weight 40kg from floor to a platform 1.2m (IIRC) above the ground, walk max 150m carrying two jerrycans full of water and a 2.4km risk reduction run in under 14 minutes. Once trained, the basic fitness requirements are not much different for a 41 year old in the RLC.
what is a risk reduction run??

You'd better explain that in laymans terms! As when it comes to the gym, its always turn right and hit the weights lol. seriously, if you could explain, It would be much appreciated!
Laymans terms you say. Well, the RLC require you to take a right turn just before you enter the gym and head towards the nearest burger van.

The_Duke

LE
It is a run (2.4km) at a sedate pace (14 minutes to pass for your chosed unit) to check that you have a base level of fitness sufficient to start training. In short, if you can't shuffle 1.5 miles in 14 minutes then any further exercise may cause risk to you, so you won't be allowed to start training until you can run it in under 14 minutes.

It is a run (2.4km) at a sedate pace (14 minutes to pass for your chosed unit) to check that you have a base level of fitness sufficient to start training. In short, if you can't shuffle 1.5 miles in 14 minutes then any further exercise may cause risk to you, so you won't be allowed to start training until you can run it in under 14 minutes.
Got you, yep should be able to shuffle that. Just had the recruiting sergeant return my call, and basically I should be just about up to scratch! Advice is appreciated!

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
After going round in circles on the MOD website, I rang Maindy Depot direct today. Had a instructive chat with an Officer, who basically said, after going thru my Qualifications etc etc,said to me, given your style of fitness, the only minor concern I have would be my ability to pass the basic fitness test. However, I reckon I could squeak it (running aspect), by leaving the weights alone for a while, and concentration on my cardio! Basically the ball is my court.
Correct. Run more, lift less and soon you will be able to run a bit faster. Lifting type fitness will do diddley squat for you because it's not really fitness esp for a pie eating power lifter who's just interested in brute strength.

Risk reduction run is a run that assesses you, thus reducing the risk of entering a candidate who will fail.

If you put your mind to it, you can walk between 4 and 5 miles in an hour, or 1-1.2 miles in ten minutes. So looking at it like that, 14 min to do 1.5 really is the gentlest of jogs. If you can run a mile and a half continuously at almost any pace, you'll be fine.

Correct. Run more, lift less and soon you will be able to run a bit faster. Lifting type fitness will do diddley squat for you because it's not really fitness esp for a pie eating power lifter who's just interested in brute strength.

Risk reduction run is a run that assesses you, thus reducing the risk of entering a candidate who will fail.

If you put your mind to it, you can walk between 4 and 5 miles in an hour, or 1-1.2 miles in ten minutes. So looking at it like that, 14 min to do 1.5 really is the gentlest of jogs. If you can run a mile and a half continuously at almost any pace, you'll be fine.
Im that pie eating powerlifter! haha

Latest Threads