New member need some answers!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Nick87, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Tried my best trolling through army.mod.uk to find a few answers but no luck so hopefully someone on here will set me right.

Im 23 - male and currently working as a security/personal protection dog handler. Their is a company rumour that we are all getting laid off in January so I have been looking for jobs and between all the private sector jobs a Army recruitment link popped up along the list.

Role Finder - British Army Website

My main concern is that the description of a Dog Handler in the Vet Corps doesn't state whether you have to already be in the army to apply or if its available to new recruits.

And also, as well as the training stated in the description do you have to do the same training as a general recruit.

Thanks everyone and go easy, I know nothing about this and just this second stumbled upon the link which got me thinking about it :)

2. Dog handlers can come from any branch, get in first.

3. Hi there!

I don't know how the situation is right at this very moment, but as far as I was aware you could join up as a Dog Handler from the very beginning. One of the lads who did our Q&A session at selection was a Dog Handler, and one of the lasses who posted/still posts on this forum went in as a Dog Handler from the off. I'm pretty sure you have to attend a trade-specific selection as well as the one everyone else does (called ADSC), which given your experience should be fine.

If it's still the case that you can do it, you'll have to go to ATR Pirbright to do basic training with all the lads who are destined for other corps and trades etc. Don't be put off by this though, basic training is a good crack, and you won't regret joining.

Head down to the local recruiting office and have a chat about your options - that's the best way to get all the relevant (and more importantly 100% correct) information on the job.

Good luck!

4. There are approx 8 million threads on arrse with reference to dog handling. Have a Read!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.