New Member. CMT Advice please.

Hello. I'm new to the site and hoping to get a little advice.

I'm hoping to join the TA and train as a CMT. I'd like to know how long roughly it would take to train up as a CMT and what my prospects of deployment to Afghanistan/Iraq would be.

I finish work early tomorrow so I'll try to speak to somebody in recruitment, but any advice now would be gratefully received.

Thank You in advance.

I'm sure someone will be along with more detailed info soon for you but basic training can take anywhere between 6 months and two years. Mine was closer to the two years mainly due to admin issues but i know of plenty of others who have taken a similar length of time to complete CMSR. I understand there is a serious shortage of places on the various courses at the moment as well. Trade training - no idea i'm afraid but you'll be able to deploy almost as soon as you finish CMSR. I've been offered Iraq, Afghan and Canada all within a few months of finishing training.

Thanks for the reply mate.

I left the regular Army about seven or eight years ago so I imagine that's too long a time to be able to bypass CMSR. Hopefully I can get through it asap if I put as much time in as possible.

Cheers.

Yep, i'm fairly sure you'll have to do it all again, Selection weekend then MOD 1 and 2 weekends, then Part 1B which is nine days or four weekends then part 1C which is 14 days.
Sounds like a lot when you say it like that!

There is usually a year between CMT 3, 2 & 1.

However if a distinction is gained on 3, you can do the Class 2 within 6 months and the same for Class 2 going on to Class 1.

CMTs, in my experience and depending on which unit you go to, can be gophers or sharp end medics. :)

Hope this is of some help

Thanks SilverSurfer.

I can handle being a gopher for a while if it gets me closer to where I want to be.

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

:wink:

Latest Threads