New medal.

Discussion in 'Medals' started by Joe_Private, Mar 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone here know what the process of issuing a new medal actually involves? I was given to understand two years ago (from a very reliable source) that a new medal for certain ops not currently covered by other medals was on the verge of being issued. A couple of days ago, a mate recounted a conversation with with an equally reliable source at a recent well-publicised shindig, where he was told that it is still on the cards, but the Crab equivalent of the two sources was blocking it.

2. What was the medal meant to be for? Bear in mind the two major principles: no new medals for events that finished more than 5 years ago, and no deouble-medalling.

The key document is JSP 761.

The organisation is the HD Committee, see How is a medal instituted for an explanation:

3. There was me hoping that with the QDJM whinging all but finished, this would be a new demand for a NDM thread

4. Nearly, but not quite the NDM, it's for actual ops. From what Barbs has posted above, it seems all that is needed is for one more person to sign up to it before CDS rubber stamps it.

5. OK, give me a pen... Anything for a quiet life.

6. You are St#ph#n D#lt#n, and I claim my free bling.

7. The five year thing must be bollocks though seen as both my grandfathers both got medals earnt well over 5 years previous.

8. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

...and the Suez Canal Bar to the NGSM and GSM. Issued about 50 years after the event. Apparently that didn't break the 5 year rule because although the commander at the time recommended there is some question as to whether the HD committee considered it fully.

9. Is this a situation for which a medal used to be issued, but now is not, however activity is continuing at a tempo which justifys the issuing of one?

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I suppose one way to keep the moaners happy is to issue all persons who ever served, an appropriate GSM but only Bars for ops. Then the Legion warriors can turn up with fake bars making it more sporting to spot the walt!

• Like Like x 1
  11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

That probably covers IRAQ and to a certain extent NI - especially if you are EOD. Why not spit it out and tell us what you're going on.

12. No, no medals previously issued.

I'm not sure what the full criteria is likely to be, or which ops will attract this, so don't want to say what will or won't qualify, but it has been known by some colloquially as the MT 1.1 medal.

13. I was hoping for MT2.3

14. Why not just ask if there's going to be a new medal for the submarine bummers instead of getting all Basildon Bond on us?

15. That one should be covered by the NDM.