New MAN trucks

There was meant to be a replacement for drops coming in with the SVs, but this has deemed too expensive at present.

Drops must be perservered with for quite a few years to come.

EPLS is being issued to a theatre near you as I type. Have no fear, DROPS will be here for several yaers yet!!!

CH512O said:
arfah said:
. . . Peaked at the wagon's docs and noticed that it had been delivered to the BundesHeer ? in 1978 ! About thirty years old and a light year more advanced than a trusty MJ !
Totally different truck you saw to the ones we bought. The ones you saw are older MAN KAT versions and the 2000 version, which ours are based on, came into being around 2001.
Then working for Fodens back in 1970s, I took the opportunity to crawl under/over one of those earlier series MAN, and was impressed with the all-round double wishbone suspension. (Seemed similar - I think - to the suspension on our 6x6 Saladin/Saracen series ?!).

CH512O will be able to confirm, but I understand - thirty years later - we're buying the "economy" version with (steel) leaf-spring suspension?! (Please tell us they are at least parabolic leaf-springs !!)

RCT(V) said:
CH512O said:
arfah said:
. . . Peaked at the wagon's docs and noticed that it had been delivered to the BundesHeer ? in 1978 ! About thirty years old and a light year more advanced than a trusty MJ !
Totally different truck you saw to the ones we bought. The ones you saw are older MAN KAT versions and the 2000 version, which ours are based on, came into being around 2001.
Then working for Fodens back in 1970s, I took the opportunity to crawl under/over one of those earlier series MAN, and was impressed with the all-round double wishbone suspension. (Seemed similar - I think - to the suspension on our 6x6 Saladin/Saracen series ?!).

CH512O will be able to confirm, but I understand - thirty years later - we're buying the "economy" version with (steel) leaf-spring suspension?! (Please tell us they are at least parabolic leaf-springs !!)
The EPLS (SV DROPS version) is based on 15t HX77 Cargo chassis that were part of the original contract. In fact they are not actually based but are Cargo trucks which instead of us putting flatbeds on, we have bolted the HIAB Multilift system. So the HX chassis have leaf spring suspension.
Are they cheaper than the SX coil suspension? Very much so!! But then the original contract did not include 15t SX's.

As for EPLS in theatre, yes its out there and being used. Will they replace DROPS, not in the near future. HLDT, or whatever its called will look into DROPS replacement.
Oshkosh PLS.....i have driven it and its not bad. But very basic. Listened to Oshkosh salesmen slate EPLS and say how good their truck is but even the HEMTT (American DROPS) cannot carry near what our normal DROPS can carry x-country.

terrier3181 said:
Any information on the MANs performance in the snows over here this past couple of weeks, rumour I have heard it was a bit of a letdown
Where is here??

There will be 2 reasons why maybe SV does not do what it says on the tin.
1. Tyres....not all the time but in some terrain the tyres do not throw off clogging mud. This is due to the tread profile of the Continentals. The Michelin ones are better but only fitted on the Recovery Variant at moment. But then during the 1000's of km's trial we had no problem. This tyre problem was first noticed in BATUS where i went out to see it.
2. Driver related/experience...this is probably the main cause. SV is a lot different for someone going from Daf/Bedford. More diffs, driver aids etc. Some of the training has been done a long time before the Unit got SV, so half the stuff taught has been forgotten about. The amount of time i see drivers going x-country in Auto when it should be in Man.

SV isnt the be-all-end-all when it comes to trucks. But its better than what we had. Its x-country capability is good, in fact SV was going through the same "puddle" as the CST in the pic below...

Most driving conditions can be negotiated by a good driver. The main reason for loss of traction is poorly driven vehicles. As CH pointed out, use the manual gearbox controls and things become a lot easier.

Driving in snow is an art as as a lot of the UK population has found out it has to be practiced, just look at some of the pathetic people caught up in a couple of inches of snow in the last couple of weeks.

BeastAppreciationSociety. said:
Hows the hand brake mechanismon the man?
Eh??!!

What do you want? A technical description of how it works i could give you but why? Or are you asking about the Hill Start one?

I've just had an up close and personal with an up-armoured MAN SV EPLS (DROPS variant), twas in a tasty desert colour (apart from the HIAB Multilift system), very nice indeed. Every good trog should have one! :wink:

There are no Trogs anymore.

Harping on about the forming Corps is verboten.

dingerr said:
There are no Trogs anymore.

Harping on about the forming Corps is verboten.
Sobald ein trog immer ein trog - ist es ein Altersding!

Active_Edge_841 said:
I've just had an up close and personal with an up-armoured MAN SV EPLS (DROPS variant), twas in a tasty desert colour (apart from the HIAB Multilift system), very nice indeed. Every good trog should have one! :wink:
Wont last long! I think the IPT are using this new "wash off" paint but at least make it last longer than the trip from the paint shop!! :roll:

(Wow! Iam i actually slating SV!!??)

CH512O said:
Active_Edge_841 said:
Wont last long! I think the IPT are using this new "wash off" paint but at least make it last longer than the trip from the paint shop!! :roll:

(Wow! Iam i actually slating SV!!??)
Wash off, 8O that'll explain why there were several patches of desert paint that had seemed to have rubbed away, revealing a luverly shade of green!. Would post a photo, but then I think my persec would be well and truly screwed.

tank6275 said:
That, as far as im still aware, the entire fleet of DROPS is VOR apart from on operations.

Seemingly theres a lack of proper greasing during servicing or a mechanical problem thats causing the main propshaft to want to rip itself off the back of the transfer box.

Certain checks and complete greasing of all the propshafts are required before the vehicles can go on the road and this is after permission from brigade granted to take the vehicles out.After theses checks are done and permission is granted the window of operation is a week then the whole process has to start again.

And i believe it will be like this until a modification to sort the problem becomes available.

Again i could be completely off the mark and in which case could you bring me up to speed
I'll bring you up to speed, this was a problem in 1990 when the first 72 DROPS were deployed on Op Granby. They threw props left, right and centre. The problem is not new and I am very surprised that the whole fleet has only just been grounded for a problem that they have had since their conception.

I can't believe it is still a problem, millions of other trucks run all over the globe, in all sorts of environments and they all use prop shafts so why is it the DROPS has such a problem, and after 19 years too!