New London Regiment Company

ugly

LE
i see what you mean, he needs to get that tourie shrunk down
I understand fully how through different generations we shaped and wore our TOS’s, berets, caubeens etc differently, but we were just trying to be stylish so to speak. But, the latest generation of TOS’s are just lacking material to do much with, gives literal meaning to the MOD cutting corners.....

ugly

LE
Our micro berets of the 90's were similar, nowadays its all the same with cap badges, the Rifles etc might as well be issued ToS!

I understand fully how through different generations we shaped and wore our TOS’s, berets, caubeens etc differently, but we were just trying to be stylish so to speak. But, the latest generation of TOS’s are just lacking material to do much with, gives literal meaning to the MOD cutting corners.....
most of those corners are cut themselves. issued TOS were still pretty massive, you had to get a tailored one for the shrink fit. not sure if it's still the case

There must be some bizarre beret/badge combinations out there.

Sure I have seen a Grenadier Guardsman attached to a fusilier battalion wearing a hackle....and I presume PARA exchange posts with 3 Commando Brigade (and vice versa) see Para cap badges on green lids and RM cap badges on maroon lids!
Nope. There have been Paras who’ve passed the AACC wearing the green lid with a para badge, as they’ve earned the beret, but Royal Marines retain their ‘earned’ green lid rather than wear an ‘issued’ maroon one.

ugly

LE
For some folk the dressing up box isn't big enough!

Nope. There have been Paras who’ve passed the AACC wearing the green lid with a para badge, as they’ve earned the beret, but Royal Marines retain their ‘earned’ green lid rather than wear an ‘issued’ maroon one.
Nope. The RM exchange officer to 1 Para in 2004 certainly had to wear the correct Bde headdress (maroon beret) with RM cap badge.

ugly

LE
Nope. The RM exchange officer to 1 Para in 2004 certainly had to wear the correct Bde headdress (maroon beret) with RM cap badge.
My ex boss was ADC to Brig 5 AB when it reformed (?) he wore his Rifle Green Beret and Maize and Green wings, the sort which go up at the ends. No one demanded he wear a different beret, mind you that was all before 16 AA.
I recall seeing him in the Pathfinder series

My ex boss was ADC to Brig 5 AB when it reformed (?) he wore his Rifle Green Beret and Maize and Green wings, the sort which go up at the ends. No one demanded he wear a different beret, mind you that was all before 16 AA.
I recall seeing him in the Pathfinder series
At that time, the maroon beret was awarded on passing P Coy, and was not warm by other atts & dets. It later changed to standard issue headdress.

ugly

LE
At that time, the maroon beret was awarded on passing P Coy, and was not warm by other atts & dets. It later changed to standard issue headdress.
Shame how they watered that down wasn't it!
That said we used to dress up in COP when using other units areas.

I stand corrected.

Out of interest, was he required to wear it, or did he choose to, bearing in mind his Green Beret is earned and equates to the wings of a paratrooper, or did somebody incorrectly apply the Army’s ‘green lid only to be worn while serving in 3Cdo Bde’ rule to him?

I have also seen attached Army ranks wearing their own headdress while attached to the RM, as not all are required to pass the AACC first.

Last edited:
I stand corrected.

Out of interest, was he required to wear it, or did he choose to, bearing in mind his Green Beret is earned and equates to the wings of a paratrooper, or did somebody incorrectly apply the Army’s ‘green lid only to be worn while serving in 3Cdo Bde’ rule to him?

I have also seen attached Army ranks wearing their own headdress while attached to the RM, as not all are required to pass the AACC first.
He was required to wear it, and did so begrudgingly.

I stand corrected.

A few years ago the then CO of the Artists was the inspecting officer on a course passout with which I was involved, he was originally an RM officer. He chose to wear his regiment's cap badge on a green beret, and bang on in his speech about how the beret was earned, his RSM (former Para Regt) was also present and was not a happy bunny.