New lightbulbs in cancer scare!

#1
The Sovereign Independent said:
EU imposed energy saving lightbulbs contain cancer causing chemicals

New lightbulbs in cancer scare!

The Sovereign Independent
Wednesday April 20,2011
By Mark Reynolds and Alison Little

HEALTH fears were raised last night over the use of energy saving lightbulbs after a report claimed they contain cancer causing chemicals. Scientists warn that prolonged contact with the European Union-imposed bulbs could put people at risk after discovering that they “pulse out” poisonous materials when switched on. The bulbs are already widely used in Britain after the EU ordered all traditional incandescent lightbulbs to be phased out by the end of this year.

While it was known that harmful amounts of mercury are released if one of the new “green” bulbs breaks, experts have now discovered they also emit several carcinogenic chemicals. These include phenol – a poison used by the Nazis to kill concentration camp victims – and the toxins naphthalene and styrene, which are released as a form of steam when the bulb is switched on.

The German scientists behind the report advise that the bulbs should not be left on for extended periods, especially near a person’s head.
"The German scientists behind the report advise . . . ", and the Germans should know !!

"These include phenol – a poison used by the Nazis to kill concentration camp victims . . . "
 

Attachments

#2
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily Express and Sunday Express said:

NEW LIGHTBULBS IN CANCER SCARE


Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily Express and Sunday Express

Wednesday April 20,2011
By Mark Reynolds and Alison Little

HEALTH fears were raised last night over the use of energy saving lightbulbs after a report claimed they contain cancer causing chemicals.

Read more: Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: New lightbulbs in cancer scare
The same reporters - but, at least with a LINK to verify the story.
 

Attachments

#4
ffs everything causes cancer.

recent studies have shown that being alive greatly increases ones chances of getting cancer
 
#5
Don't eat the ******* lightbulbs then, oh and don't wear them as a hat

The German scientists behind the report advise that the bulbs should not be left on for extended periods, especially near a person’s head.
 
#6
Just read your signature logo for the RAMC and briefly thought it read Faithfull in Obesity
 
#8
ffs everything causes cancer.

recent studies have shown that being alive greatly increases ones chances of getting cancer
It's even worse than that, a very resent study has proved that life is the biggest cause of death.
 
#9
"The German scientists behind the report advise . . . ", and the Germans should know !!

"These include phenol – a poison used by the Nazis to kill concentration camp victims . . . "
How scary - Carbolic Acid!

Also used in the making of Aspirin, hair dyes, cosmetics etc...... :roll:
 
#10
It's even worse than that, a very resent study has proved that life is the biggest cause of death.
it's true.

i prevent death by preventing life whenever i can.

my god says:"you will live an eternal life in paradise if you spread your life giving seed on your ladyfriends' back/arrse/face and go to great lengths not to shoot it into her vile ovum" or some such.
 
#11
You have to admire the whole system, as I understand it the new pattern bulbs need to be left on for longer, in order to be energy efficient (switching them on uses extra power)
So if you leave them on, they use much the same amount of leccy as an incandescent bulb.
Now the boxheads are saying don't leave them on for extended periods, thus using comparable amounts of energy, and shortening the life span of these overpriced Mercury filled neon tubes.

It would be interesting to see what connections the euro instigators of this whole affair have with the energy and bulb making concerns.
 
#12
#13
You have to admire the whole system, as I understand it the new pattern bulbs need to be left on for longer, in order to be energy efficient (switching them on uses extra power)
So if you leave them on, they use much the same amount of leccy as an incandescent bulb.
Now the boxheads are saying don't leave them on for extended periods, thus using comparable amounts of energy, and shortening the life span of these overpriced Mercury filled neon tubes.

It would be interesting to see what connections the euro instigators of this whole affair have with the energy and bulb making concerns.
I'd put money on Phillips lobbying the EU so that their light bulbs could win the market share. By all accounts, Phillips' influence in Brussels has been very strong in the past. Tin foil hat?
 
#14
These light sources are now obsolete anyway, the new generation LED's use even less power and don't contain mercury etc.
 
#15
I also read that glass has been found in windows, and they put these things in schools FFS!!1!!one!!! Will no one but paedophiles think of the children?!
 
#16
Energy saving bulbs are a complete load of tosh.

All the manufactures conveniently fail to point out that these can not be put in the bin and need to be disposed of as hazardous waste as the contain mercury and several other items that are nasty.

I wonder if there is any cost of recycling taken into account when the low cost bulb tag line is thrown about.
 
#18
The awfully contrary computer won't let me read the article, but if true, fair enough, however I think you will find that turning on and off most electrical equipment shortens their working life. Case in point one of our local pubs turns on the plasma screen at opening time and it runs for 12- 15 hours a day and has done for several years. The same type of screen in a domestic setting being turned on and off several times a day seems to fail faster.

I think the same applies to light bulbs of all varieties, the change in heat levels, no matter how small being a contributory factor.
 
#19
The awfully contrary computer won't let me read the article, but if true, fair enough, however I think you will find that turning on and off most electrical equipment shortens their working life. Case in point one of our local pubs turns on the plasma screen at opening time and it runs for 12- 15 hours a day and has done for several years. The same type of screen in a domestic setting being turned on and off several times a day seems to fail faster.

I think the same applies to light bulbs of all varieties, the change in heat levels, no matter how small being a contributory factor.
Its covers their working life in the article.

You are actually right it does cost more to turn on, but the cost is so minute, it cheaper to turn off rather than being kept on.
 
#20
I'd put money on Phillips lobbying the EU so that their light bulbs could win the market share. By all accounts, Phillips' influence in Brussels has been very strong in the past. Tin foil hat?[/QUOTE]



My bold.You'll be needing that to prevent cancer of the head surely?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top