New 'Light' GPMG

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by walkyrie, Jun 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

2. I don't see why this should/would cause any controversy, as long as the reduction in weight doesn't have an adverse effect on the performance of the weapon then it's all good.

Though it will probably bring up the same arguments that happened when someone mentioned introducing the 7.62 Minime.

3. It only weighs 24lbs, how much lighter can it get?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Won't making it lighter just make it "bounce" around more?

5. Whats the point having a black barrel, pistol grip, bipod and butt and a Tan coloured body?

Would be better to have the whole weapon in tan colour.

6. Is that barrel shorter ?

7. Only slightly shorter. It was next to the standard GPMG at the DVD show yesterday.

8. Ten grand a unit, according to the Facebook comments. Although one comment was 'looks like sa8o nice' so I'm not sure I'd trust them.

9. walkyrie

walkyrie Old-Salt Book Reviewer

The Face Ache comments read like an internet hard man conversation of "who carried the original GPMG" the furthest/longest, along with the predictable "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude. Though I'm sure my learned arrsers will be more objective about the obvious benefits.

10. Looks nice with some good features. The teeth to stop belt slip sounds useful.

Not a big fan of the colour though.

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

looks okay, after all if it isn't broken we will end up paying someone to make it better.

12. So they took a CNC tool to the body of the weapon and carved off anything not needed for the light role, apart from that and the feed tray which probably has plastic spring loaded teeth to retain the belt and will break in rapid order there is nothing new to it as far I can see. The Vickers and Browing machine guns used to come in various different flavours as well for various roles. 10 grand a unit seems to be taking the piss though when it seems that it's a conversion of an off the shelf product that consists of a short extra machining phase and a shorter barrel.

At least they havent purchased an overly complicated turd like that US manufactured BESA clone in .338 that someone linked to a few weeks ago.

How much do the saffers charge for the SS-77?

That's where the belt retention tooth was knicked from BTW.

13. There's a new version knocking around with some sort of titanium receiver - if this is it, that would account for the price.

14. No it would still be taking the piss as Ti fabrication is no where near as expensive as it once would have been, our Chinky friends will custom fabricate you almost anything from Ti for a few hundreds of quid these days.

It's not even a very good material for firearms use as it tends to fret and gall, it also won't take clean sharp machined edges very well.

15. Just found this cracker-

'Phil Green:

being ex sf. it wasn't the weight of the gpmg i had a prob with. it was 1500 7.62mm rounds we had to carry on our backs lmao. what i don't understand is why pay 10k for a weight saving. with all this modern tech is that the best they could come up with. folding butt? why'

If I'm ever ex-SF I'm going to tell everyone on the British Army Facebook too.

But I agree with Connor Theakston, it does indeed look goochie.