new laws against discriminating against those in uniform

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bigbird67, May 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Will that include a certain member of a london family that did not pass a course which presents you with green head gear at the end of said course?

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

No entirely sure of the relevence but hey ho.

About time this happened, just think you can get all those stroppy bouncers in the sh1t now when they won't let you in for being a squaddie. ;)

3. Just heard it on the Radio 2 news. About time too.
    For too long it has been accepted that if a soldier is wearing a uniform, he/she can be discriminated against by the public. Banning them from pubs, aircraft, shops etc..
    If they were wearing a religious garment, say a head scarf and were banned from those premises, there would be hell to pay!
    We had one bloke who was flying home from the stan on compassionate grounds, and the pilot of a British Airways flight refused to let him on, because he was still in uniform!!!!!

Yet another new law being brought in by this government, but at last one that makes sense and is enforceable!!!

Edited for poor spelling

4. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Great to see, but by the time it's been drawn up, will it demand that we respect the uniforms of those who are sworn to destroy us, as well as you who are sworn to defend us?

5. Do we really need a new law? Can't any of the previous 'thou shalt not discriminate' laws be tweaked to cover it? Why is the solution to everything a new law/tax/both?

6. apart from not entering a licenced premise whilst in uniform !!!!

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Sorry are you saying you can't have a beer while in uniform, not a problem in my experience and happens all the time, especially 11/11?

8. Are you trying to do our honoured legislators out of their pitifully-paid jobs? What would they do all day?

9. What a waste of time. Armed forces shouldn't be mollycuddled - any self respecting soldier should look after himself. Not necessarily by battering the scrote, but he should be worldly wise enough to deal with the situation.

This brings everyone down to the level of the RAF who complained they were getting bullied by schoolkids at Wittering.

Totally gay.

10. I wish.

I doubt the council - who will be responsible for this sort of enforcement, will do anything about it.

11. Sorry about the delay.

I heard a snippet on the radio that the bill would also include people not entitled to wear uniform in public places. (How they are going to do that will be an interesting one: fashion trends, tradesmen and heaven forbid walts)

HH

12. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

If it stops my son and his mates wearing 'combats' I'll support it.

He was more than a little shocked in the shop when I said 'anyone wearing combats should be prepared to be dropped into sandy places and be shot at'. So was the granny walking by!

Honestly, calf-length trousers in camouflage green! Whatever next?

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Sounds good, I hope tweaking as opposed to brand new legislation is possible, if only to save everyone time.

However, what are the other 39 recommendations?

14. Really? So how exactly should someone not allowed onto a BA flight because he/she is wearing uniform 'look after himself'? Offer the pilot outside? How exactly does being 'worldly wise' help when some officious tw@ decides to make a stand because you are wearing uniform?