New Latin American bloc established

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by HectortheInspector, Feb 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Great start...

"At a dinner Monday night, conservative Colombian President Alvaro Uribe started complaining about Venezuela's trade sanctions against Colombia, according to an official who spoke on condition of anonymity because delegations at the meeting had agreed not to discuss the spat publicly.

He described the following incident to reporters: Chavez shot back that Venezuela was constantly threatened by paramilitaries in the neighboring country and suggested the Colombian government was involved.

Chavez then stood up from the table, ready to storm off, when Uribe told him to stay and "be a man."

Chavez told Uribe to "go to hell," according to Venezuelan state television."

Spick b@stards couldn't organise a collective fiesta in a rum factory...

2. Uribe is the only one with his head screwed on right in that region to be honest...Colombia being a staunch ally of the US, the rest being communist ex junta states with psycho's as presidents...

Chavez is like Lenin's latino re-incarnation...'Queen of England! The time of empires is over!' and threatening war over the Falklands. What the fcuk?! On Venezualean National TV...

As soon as US flexes its muscles and tells this new bloc to jog on, with all the aid, trade and assistance it provides to the region...won't be such an issue.

3. South America has always had great potential, but it's leadership usually get it in trouble.
    Apart from his residual anti-Imperialism, Chavez is probably panicking. His country has been touted as the regional oil superpower. It's the only thing stopping his comic opera Marxism being relegated to tourist trap status like Cuba. If there is oil in the Falklands, suddenly he's just a regional player again. Moreover, there's a lot of investment at stake. The obvious place to put a new refinery and shipping hub is in the South, and that might very well suck investment out of his own dying oil industry. Let's face it. Invest in Venezuala and get nationalised. Invest with the Brits, and not lose all your assets. Not really a choice, is it?
    Even worse, oil interests bring Western military assets. And a NATO taskforce in the area would really crimp his plans if he decides to take a swing at Colombia. He has some new kit, but one carrier group would sweep that away in minutes.

4. There are quite a few banks who disagree with you...

5. The problem with telling people to jog on is that occasionally they do. The US would be pretty foolish to drive Latin America into the arms of its rivals. It's not the only potential source of aid, trade and assistance after all.

Far better to let this collapse under its own weight. The countries don't really have much of a track record of worthwhile cooperation outside of US influence and I don't think the Yanks are daft enough to set them kicking against the prick (no pun intended).

6. Problem is... the US hasn't paid the region much attention for the past 20 years , hence its gone all leftwing and anti imperialist .

Latin America , well Brazil and Argentina at least , are really just giant farms and with an ever expanding world population , food is getting scarce and expensive. So is oil

Now they are a giant farm with masses of offshore oil and that means friends in high places.Watch us get f*cked off right out of it by the yanks or the chinese or a combination of both .

7. I am not surprised that the South American countries are in a lather. If the reports are true and there is 6 billion barrels of extractable crude oil available, then at an extraction rate of 1 million barrels per day that is a crude reserve of 165 year approximately. Britain would be catapulted into 7th position in reserve stakes if the field produces. Argentina knows it will never get sovreignty because this oil is too important for the British economy for us to let go.

Personally I think all this sabre rattling is a pre-amble to Argentina saying "OK we will drop our claim if you cut us in on the deal by using our refineries and ports to get the oil to market" Kirchners main problem will be selling this to the Argentine population. But if you dangle a big enough financial carrot then people very quickly "forget" about principles.

8. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Simon Bolivar (despairing of the people he had helped liberate): 'Who rules America ploughs the sea.'

9. Oh indeed. However. I don't see the current track record of the Chinese in Africa going down well in South America. Given the tendancy of the south to kick off at any and all insults to their manhood, familiy, village, town, city and nation, importing Chinese workers to do work on Chinese investments would go down rather well...........

10. That's not the only country, nor the only way for that country.

But, since it gives me the opportunity to stick my oar in, the US are exceedingly concerned at what influence China's already accruing in Latin America. LINK.

I'd advert you to the section on "INCREASING CHINESE NONECONOMIC
    ENGAGEMENT WITH LATIN AMERICA".

The Yanks are smart enough to know better than to make an uncomfortable situation worse unnecessarily.

11. Doesn't Venezuela (Hugo Chavez in particular) enjoy the support of Mother Russia and Dmitry Medvedev? I thought Russia had conducted some military exercise with Venezuela last year. I know Venezuela gave Russia permission to use its airbases and perhaps other military installations for whatever reason. I say so since this would explain Hugo Chavez's recent outburst. It's rather telling that we have instances where the likes of Hugo Chavez openly whinge against the U.K on national television yet do not have the gumption to put words into action. The same goes for the Argentineans grovelling to the U.N for assistance. The simple reason for such ineffectual remonstration is that they know their collective military 'might' wouldn't even shift a pebble on the shores of the Falklands Islands. One must remember that during the Falklands War of 1982, the U.S at the time only provided logistical support to the U.K. Even the French helped by providing technical information on their Exocet anti-ship missiles. Pitty they took their time.

12. I read a while ago that Brazil is a country with a great future before it. And always will be.