New laptop, Vista etc

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Alsacien, Jan 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Need a new laptop for work apps (loads of windows open so multi-tasking needed), plus DVD playback and photo/video editing, no serious gaming, portability not a priority.

Benchmark to beat is a SONY VGN-AR51E at best price 630 quid. Rock and Toshiba unknown quanties to me.

I am right in thinking that getting the OS/software disks is not the norm now? I was thinking to get Vista delivered, but run my XP Pro for 6 months until Vista SP1 comes out then install it, but all SW seems to be on a disk partition which kind of kills that idea..

Any thoughts wise ones?
  2. I got a disc with this MESH dektop; unfortunately it's Vista...

Those system partitions are the first thing to put me off buying any laptop (I get through a laptop annually on average. Delicate things, they are...) as the hard drive is usually the first thing to die, and then you've got a problem. Only a few makers now seem to provide a disk, and they get my money. Dell and Toshiba are ok, but IBM have lost my custom. The Dell business laptops are excellent, as are the Porteges. Pity about the IBM X range.
  3. Are you going for the SONY VGN-AR51E just because its got Arsie in its name? :D
  4. msr

msr LE

Getting the disks is the norm, but not for Sony laptops it isn't...

5. My Phillips X59 and my partners Acer Aspire with vista both came without discs, we had to burn recovery discs but most manufacturers will supply driver discs if you contact them if your recovery disc doesn't work.
  6. Just found this, tried it and it seems to work, though i never actually went through with the purchase

Seen elsewhere.

You can install any version of Windows Vista from this DVD providing you own
    the right product key. You might want to get hold of a copy (32-bit or
    64-bit version) if you only have Vista Recovery CDs. You can ONLY pay by
    credit card!

1. Follow the link

2. Scroll down and click on "Buy Now"

3. Select "Windows Vista Home Premium"

4. Then "Choose Windows Vista Ultimate"

5. "Do you have a Windows® Anytime Upgrade disc?" - Select "No"

6. Remove "Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows Vista Ultimate" from your
    shopping basket

7. Order the Windows Vista DVD for £3.32 paying by credit card
    (AmericanExpress, MasterCard, Visa (Electron is accepted too))

Here is the original link
  7. Check out the Dell Outlet site - just got a really good deal there myself. Saved a bundle :)

Just a sample page of laptops with similiar specs to your Sony Arsie:

Dell Outelt
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Thanks for the tips esp. IT Geek on getting a disc.

It looks like the ARSIE (Sony AR51E) at 630-650 quid from Laskeys (630) or Dabs or BT etc - need to check postage and customer service ratings.

Not happy about the lack of discs - not just the OS but the other stuff too, having had to re-install every PC/Laptop I have every owned from the ground up for various reasons.....will follow IT G's info and chase around for the other stuff I guess.
  9. Alsacien, PM inbound