New Laptop - Under £500

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by fltpilot, Oct 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK looking for a new laptop.
    Would prefer Toshiba as my last 2 have been them.
    Looking for mostly surfing the net & dual booting with Linux.
    Do i buy from the high street, online or ebay?

2. If your going to be out and about with it, and not after a games machine, then spend 300-350. Laptops aren't very upgradable, so in three years time if it goes kaput, bin it buy another cheapy, it will be 10x better than the existing and will have the latest tech.

3. My son bought an Acer for under £350 from Argos, its the bizz much better than my Sony Vaio in every respect.

4. Got a Lenovo G570 about 3 months ago.

It has been brilliant, cost bang on £400 and is probably cheaper now.

The Mrs has just got a new Acer for the same price and reckons it's the dog's bulwarks.

5. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Work out what you want in a laptop. Then haggle with Dell

6. Another + for acer have had an acer aspire 6930G for 2.5 years never had a bit of trouble with it

7. Acer or Asus for me. Unless you're looking for a squaddie-proof case, you can't beat them for value.

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.

8. I have a 3 yr old ACER purchased online,

Son # 1 bought himself an Acer to replace his old Dell Inspiron.

Son # 3 has an even more recent Acer Aspire.

They are budget buys, so they're not the dogs doodahs if you are an early adopter or kit snob, but they are chuffing good, very robust, and we have no complaints about quality, price or function.

I haven't yet seen a Tosh that comes close to Acer for size, or spec-for-price, and I will tell you from personal experience [I poured a pint of Stella into my first one, and had to get vital components replaced. Yeah I know, spilled beer - doublecrime] that their customer service takes some beating.

9. Depends what you wanna do- you can get a decent Dell Latitude from outlet- still with warranty etc, or an IBM/Lenovo thinkpad- which are great for linux compability. And if you are going to type a lot on your laptop, the good keyboard and good, anti-glare monitor are essentials. Also sturdy case, that wont fell into pieces after 1 year of (ab)use.
    Cose of Linux great hardware support you can forget (at least- for now) about Nvidia Optimus solution - i.e. dynamic switching of graphic cards, depends from load and power supply. but hey, IGP 4000 is also quite good (and works out-of-the-box with modern distributions).

10. In three years time laptops will be a niche market............. Tablets (& Cloud) will be the defacto computing device.

I have a 6 year old Samsung R70 lappie that is now nearing the end of its life but has been worth every penny that it cost. It completely cured me of desktops.

I also have a Samsung netbook (NC10) for travelling and 'er indoors has a virtually unused Sammy R530 that will replace my R70 when it finally gives up. She prefers her Ipad.

I have been well served by Samsung - worth taking a look.

11. I hear that story for years.
    Try to type something more than a post on facebook on touch-screen keyboard, good luck!

12. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Buy Dell.

13. I have little or no difficulty with the Ipad for the things I do these days but I don't type out the complete works of Shakespeare any more so maybe your point is made.

The fact that the big laptop makers are falling over each other to dominate the tablet market sort of makes mine though. How many people are like my wife in finding that a tablet adequately covers their computing needs?

I didn't say that laptops will disappear completely, just that they will become 'niche market' items in the same way that vinyl records, dot matrix printers and 'film' cameras have.

Of course, as demand drops, choice is reduced, prices climb and demand is further reduced.