New Laptop Time

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Closet_Jibber, Aug 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Laptop is 5 years old and runs like a TA Storeman.

Any advice from the Computer Boffins would be appreciated.

I can manage £650 Max. Anything more than that and I'll have to reduce myself to 2 meals a day and watering down my milk.

Cheers in advance.

2. Starting from first principles, what do you need it to do?
  3. I had about 200 HP Business laptops running in secondary school science classrooms, which did a very admirable job of surviving rather well. Based on this i'd recomend something like the HP Probook 4520.

You might want to fiddle with the specs to get the best for what you want though.
  4. Well really speaking it only needs word processing capability, DVD Player, Wireless tinterweb access for getting access to Arrse and Guitar Tabs, and storage room for my music, photos and select few grot video's. I'm basing that on what I use this one for.

However if it was capable of playing Strategy Games I might be tempted to actually buy one and play it rather than just being aware they exist as once I've bought this my Beer token pot will be empty for a month or two.
  5. Thats good to know.

Bloke in work was the one who had me aiming that high. I originally said £500 and he moaned that anything less than £699 these days would be sh1t.

I figured because he's fat, doesn't have a mrs and likes Star Trek a bit too much he might know what he was talking about.

Just getting sick of mine. Loading up this webpage just took 8 seconds and even a typing biff like I can type quicker than it can write it out at times.
  6. Try Aldi,tomorrow 8th August. Great spec,3 year warranty,I've bought my last 2 PC's from them,my next one as well! :)
  7. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

You could save even more and do what I did.

I took a very old ThinkPad R51e (I don't even know the specs but running XP after a while it was like watching mud set) and loaded up Ubuntu - Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu - an open source software. Now it runs as quickly as my super slick (and expensive) Mac next door and can do all of the above and more. Comes with Open Office which runs compatible doc and spreadsheets to M'soft but won't look quite as snazzy.

Even if you don't like it, you can just try it on your current brick and then go out and spend £400. Or you could save yourself that much and do exactly what the entire French police force did and saved over 70% of their IT budget...
  8. If you can be arrsed revitalising the old one, you might try wiping the hard drive and switching to Ubuntu instead. My missus is a bit of a technogeek and has made a few older lappies turn cartwheels by doing that. Wouldn't know how, myself.

Other than that, if you're not going to be throwing them around much I'd heartily recommend anything Acer. You get a lot of bang for your buck and good ones come in far lower than you were talking about.

Edit: great minds think alike! :D
  9. Whats the catch?
  10. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

Does this make me also as clever as orange pointy things that can help me see in the dark?

Like you say, o wise one, great minds and all that.
  11. There isn't much catch with Linux - it usually runs out of the box very well. About the biggest problem is if you want to play the strategy games...
  12. From none-too-close observation, you need to do a lot of set-up after installing the new OS to reinstall drivers for things like sound cards etc. You might be able to get your local computer repair shop to do the hard part for you - from what I've seen, it makes a huge difference to the speed and performance of elderly machines.

N.B. I use an Acer with Windows 7 installed and the Jade Dream has an Apple Macbook. Make of that what you will.
  13. Try the SAMSUNG R730, Just got one and absolutely fantastic. Have a look on Youtube (unwrapping samsung r730) about round the £500-00 mark, got mine from Comet

Best regards SS
  14. msr

msr LE