New Laptop Shopping

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by skintboymike, Apr 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I've currently got a Compaq Presario CQ60, but it's struggling big time. It only cost £320 so I suppose you get what you pay for. Now I want something that's a lot nippier but not necessarily high end, and preferably with a blu-ray drive and a 17" screen. My budget is £650 ex VAT, but I could be tempted to stretch a bit further if my alcohol intake remains moderate to high. One of the best I can find so far is this;

Samsung R780 17.3 inch Notebook (Intel Core i5-480M Processor, 2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 640GB HD, Blu-ray/DVDRW, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium) - Red: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Brand: Samsung
    Mfr Part Number: NP-R780-JT4BUK
    RAM Size: 6 GB
    Processor Brand: Intel
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Processor Type: Intel Core i5
    Hard Drive Size: 640 GB
    Hard Disk Rotational Speed: 5400 rpm
    Computer Memory Type: DDR3 SDRAM
    Operating System: Windows 7 Edition Home Premium
    Graphics Card Description: ATI HD5470
    Graphics Card Ram Size: 1 GB
    Graphics RAM Type: DDR3 SDRAM
    Screen Size: 17.3 inches
    Display Technology: LED
    Light Source Type: LED
    Speaker Output Channel Quantity: 2
    Spearkers Maximum Output Power: 2 watts

This one seems to tick all the boxes for me, but if I can get something cheaper/better/faster then obviously I will. If anyone comes across a better deal feel free to stick a link below.

2. Cheeky bump.

3. ImageUploadedByARRSE1303805765.080757.jpg

Cheekier bump

4. Touch not the products of Apple if you have a budget smaller than the MOD debt...(Apple:- Charging you a fortune 'cos you're thick and we can get away with...even though we switched from using good hardware a while back to the same cheep gash everyone else uses).

If you must have the Apple OS (which like any Uniz based OS has its excellent points like speed and robustness....the days of Apple users ignoring virus and malware threats are over though) you can stick it on any hardware you like and not pay the pointless markup Apple likes to charge.

5. This comment is void if you want to have a computer that doesn't crash on a very regular basis. Hackintosh's are not reliable.

I support buying Macs although they're not as good as they used to be. I've been using Macbook Pros since 2006 and every time I use a Windows machine I am disgusted as to how slow it is, and how it treats me as an utter retard incapable of looking after my own computer.

6. Mike, I have that exact machine. It is fast, really fast (well compared to my old Acer anyway).

It is fine for working and surfing, but the on board graphics still suffer a bit if you want to do any serious gaming - but other than that it is a mighty fine piece of kit.

I have only had mine a couple of weeks, so I am still tweaking and playing with it, but if you want any more info PM or post on here.

MB

7. I have just got myself an acer aspire 5943g it was 820 quid.it has i5460 processor windows premium ATI mobiliyt radron HD 5650 graphics 1 Gig card 4 gug rab 500gb drive blue ray player virtual surround dolby home theatre dedicated movie music player built in on the touch pad it is 15.6 screen(a seventeen screen will be over a thousand ).four to six hour battery depending on what performance lrvel you run it on (battery saver etc).I think they have gon down a little to around average of 740 now you need to look its a minefield out there

8. Cheers MB - I thought it looked ok from a tech standpoint, it's nice to see that it stands up to scrutiny. I don't plan to do any serious gaming, but having said that I have a couple of old games I'd like to see played in higher detail and smoother than was previously possible with my old rig (Doom 3, Far Cry).

As for the Mac preachers - I have always liked Apple products, but I don't have the budget for them. Good solid kit, but vastly overpriced.

9. Is that £740 tax free? Bit steep for me if it is.

10. I've bitten the bullet and bought the R780. Review to follow.