New laptop, Microsoft account transfer failure

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Edge at present.

I use Firefox, once installed it allows you to backup your favourites to an external drive. Folks have their own preferences for web browsers and most work just fine. I've tried most of them and settled on Firefox.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I use Firefox, once installed it allows you to backup your favourites to an external drive. Folks have their own preferences for web browsers and most work just fine. I've tried most of them and settled on Firefox.
Tried it once, didn't like it.

Bit old and set in my ways now. Where's MS:DOS or TSO when you need them?

Daz

LE

Did you try checking your user name and on the password on the old machine?

Daz

LE
Basically what I do with a new computer is backup all my files and bookmarks on the old computer and then I install windows over the operating system on the the new computer. All my old 32 bit programs worked just fine on both Windows 10 and 11. I had to download a couple of drivers but the install took care of the majority of them and installed the drivers.

Well if it works for you crack on mate but I have found Firefox to be user friendly.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Did you try checking your user name and on the password on the old machine?
It works fine on the old and the ancient machines. And is accepted on the new machine, but because it detects login from a new device, it wants more ... Which I can't provide because I've married, moved house twice, and changed mobile phone number since I set up the account when I got the old machine.

Old duffers can't remember all this stuff!

BlipDriver

War Hero
I've got the files and stuff restored from the external backup drive. Happy with that and everything else is working. I can enter the MS credentials on both machines (and my ancient Vista machine where photographs are stored). But MS says I need more credentials to prove I am still myself (or who i was in 2017!) On the new machine. Arrses!

I'll try the Chrome/Edge approach recommended upthread. Suffering a cold atm, doesn't help with clear thinking!
What extra credentials?

Edit: Just read your latest post.
On the old machine - where it believes you are you - can you go in and change the credentials?

Daz

LE
What extra credentials?

On the old machine - where it believes you are you - can you go in and change the credentials?
Thats my thoughts as well

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What extra credentials?

Some can be changed, which I tried after the second email saying I hadn't given them enough. But not what they say they need to access from a new device.

I have managed to set up one favourite on the new machine anyway, so may well just do that, as I have everything else. Sod 'em, and the horse they rode in on!

BlipDriver

War Hero
Some can be changed, which I tried after the second email saying I hadn't given them enough. But not what they say they need to access from a new device.

I have managed to set up one favourite on the new machine anyway, so may well just do that, as I have everything else. Sod 'em, and the horse they rode in on!
Failing that, on the odd occasions that I've contacted Microsoft they've always been very helpful.

Daz

LE

Old the old PC, try logging in to your Microsoft account, go to the Your info tab, there you can check what email and what phone numbers are listed against your account, update as required, then go to the Security tab and check to see where your new PC has been blocked

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What extra credentials?

So, i log into new machine using existing email and password.
Response is a screen saying 'help us protect your security. We have detected something unusual, this may be a new device, blah blah'.
It shows the email being used (I don't use it for anything other than MS login nowadays), the recovery email ( the work email from which I retired in 2016 from a company that's been moved to two other companies since) the work phone number I had then, and a button for 'i don't have these'.

Click the button and get a two-field screen. Field 1 asks for the email to be recovered, Field 2 for a different email, to receive correspondence.

Fill those in and then
MS sends a code to the email in Field 2.

So far, so good. Enter the code and

Get asked for name, DOB, Country and postcode. Also two or more old passwords, whether I have used Skype, and the password for it, bought MS products, and which.

Name could be one of two, postcode could be one of three. Haven't used Skype for at least 4 years, can't remember passwords.

Submit what info I can, and half an hour later receive an email saying I haven't identified myself and should complete the form again.

Will to live is fading... Tomorrow I may set up a new account, or indeed copy everything manually!!!!

Daz

LE
So, i log into new machine using existing email and password.
Response is a screen saying 'help us protect your security. We have detected something unusual, this may be a new device, blah blah'.
It shows the email being used (I don't use it for anything other than MS login nowadays), the recovery email ( the work email from which I retired in 2016 from a company that's been moved to two other companies since) the work phone number I had then, and a button for 'i don't have these'.

Click the button and get a two-field screen. Field 1 asks for the email to be recovered, Field 2 for a different email, to receive correspondence.

Fill those in and then
MS sends a code to the email in Field 2.

So far, so good. Enter the code and

Get asked for name, DOB, Country and postcode. Also two or more old passwords, whether I have used Skype, and the password for it, bought MS products, and which.

Name could be one of two, postcode could be one of three. Haven't used Skype for at least 4 years, can't remember passwords.

Submit what info I can, and half an hour later receive an email saying I haven't identified myself and should complete the form again.

Will to live is fading... Tomorrow I may set up a new account, or indeed copy everything manually!!!!
Have you tried on the old machine, logging on to your Microsoft account, then go to the security tab and right at the bottom there this:

Recovery code​

You can use this code to access your account if you lose access to your sign-in info. Print this out and keep it in a safe place or take a picture of it.
Generate a new code

Might be worth a punt

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Oh, thanks. I'll try that in the morning.

Latest Threads