New lappy... with Windows 8. Anti Virus??

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Carlos_Hathcock_II, Jan 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right just got mesself a new Samsung lappy, 500gig hard drive, 6 gig ram. Looks nice and it is running Windows 8 and has a free 60 day trial of Norton. Now I have scanned the pages here are using the elusive SEARCH feature for anti virus recamendations and most of the recamendations are quite dated now.

So, I ask the IT literate amoungst you is Norton still as shiters as it was a few years ago or is it now a good system that doesnt hog the cpu?
    Or shall I mag to grid it and use the built in Windows Defender or shall I chin that off and go for something like avast???

Your recamendations please!!!

Eye Fang Ewe!

2. hotel_california

hotel_california LE Book Reviewer

Chin it off!! It is universally hated "in the industry".

3. msr

msr LE

Just use the built-in Windows Defender, uninstall java and keep Windows and other apps (particularly flash and acrobat reader) up to date.

4. Which????

5. Great!!! Makes my life easier.

But why oh Guru should I uninstall Java??? What does it do, or not do thats the problem???

As you can guess, I am computer illigitamate!!

6. hotel_california

hotel_california LE Book Reviewer

Norton. Absolute cack (as is McAfee).

7. msr

msr LE

“Unless it is absolutely necessary to run Java in web browsers, disable it” advises US Dept of Homeland Security | Naked Security

The vast majority of people have no need for java on their computers, easiest way is just to uninstall it. If you find you do need it (some bank logins do) then just re-install it.

8. Fantastic!!!

Thanks guys!!! You da best!!!

9. Avast anti virus is used by all my family and it's very good. I've never had any problems with a virus while I've been using it. The other nice thing about it is that the home edition is free. If you log on to their website, it will try and steer you to buy the business edition but just look for the free home edition to download.

• Like Like x 1
  10. msr

msr LE

Windows Defender in Win8 includes what used to be known as Microsoft Security Essentials, so whilst Avast is a good product, there's no real need to use it with Win8. YMMV.

m-s-r-

11. Thumbs up for Avast I use that with a combination of CCleaner and Malwarebytes Anti Malware have never had a problem on any OS (have windows 7 and 8 on separate hard drives at present), still not sure that Windows Security Essentials is perfect but peeps I know who use only that have not had any issues.

12. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

avast! is the one in our household... if just for the girlie who tells you that it's been updated every morning. Seriously, avast! is tops as far as I'm concerned.