New lappy for middle son

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Bootifull, Feb 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Middle son "needs" a new lappy...

This one is his first choice>>>>>too expensive for me!

Anyone have a cheaper alternative but with the same spec???
  2. msr

msr LE

3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

you'll pay twice the price for a gaming laptop as you will a desktop... and it wont perform as well. why's he so desperate for a lappy? you could get him a decent specced desktop and a good netbook for portability for two thirds the money.
  4. Try the MSI GT725. Tis what I'm on right now. Still going strong with new games.
  5. I'd love to say he will use it for prep but knowing him it'll be a glorified games console!!
    Graphics need to be "awesome"!! with loads of memory too... his words not mine. £400 is the budget...which isn't enough for what he wants....apparently!
  6. has to be a lappy he's at boarding school!
  7. He's right, you're fecked for £400.
    Reason why I got this lappy is that it has gaming power for a stupidly low price, pretty much feck all competes with it on power:price.
  8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

he'll need a monitor, but they're cheap enough.
  9. get onto the dell site and look at end of line any that are XPS line these are the gaming laptops
  10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

fair enough, I missed that. he's not going to get anything that runs current games for £400 and portable as well.

this - - is a lot of machine for £400 mind, and a nice big screen to at least watch dvd's and run older games on.
  11. msr

msr LE

this dell is £79 more than your budget but has a good graphics card and will handle most games, if you ring dell up and tell them you are in the forces they usually give a very good discount.

Also try this one looks good novatech are a very good company, if you ring them and speak to an adviser they can tailor make the pc to your needs in most cases.
  13. msr

msr LE

You work for the MOD and I claim my £5 :)

14. I do but i normally dont reccommned Dell but as the OP has a small budget, its as good as he is going to get, unless he shops at novatech!