New land speed record attempt - 1000mph!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by The-Lord-Flasheart, Jan 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yep, that crazy pair- Messrs Noble and Green are at it again. Going supersonic on the ground wasn't enough for them so they are going to attempt to hit 1000mph in 2011.

I think its bloody brill we still have chaps like this. Good old fashioned Britishness.

Link to Bloodhound website.

It will have a Typhoon engine and a rocket engine. The wheels will be made out of titanium to help to overcome the 10500 rpm they'll spin at and the massive 50,000g centrifugal force they will experience!

Mad as a bag of wasps if you ask me.....
  2. It's nutters like them that make this country great! Good luck to 'em.
  3. At that speed if he hits a pebble he's going to be airborne.............possible 1st Solo Moonshot.
  4. Wonder what the Driver's life insurance quote is!
  5. I would give a lot to be there to see them do it.
  6. Probably not going to see that much, just a big cloud of dust.
  7. To put it into perspective what they are trying to attempt. 1000mph is approx Mach 1.313 (or 1.33 if they elect to use the Black Rock Desert - elevation of 3848 ft). There are currently no aircraft around that can achieve that speed at sea level. The F16C can 'only' do just under Mach 1.3 at sea level, a Tornado theoretically can do Mach 1.2, Typhoon also Mach 1.2 at sea level.
  8. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

They are mentalists but I hope they do it. That is 250mph faster than before.
  9. Which is the biggest leap from a previous record I believe. The current largest leap is 133mph set by Thrust SSC over Thrust 2.
  10. Makes you proud to be British doesn't it. Im sure i remember reading somewhere about the attempt with Thrust SSC that the American fella who died last year and whose name eludes me at this time was trying for the record himself on another part of the desert when they heard the sonic boom he supposedly told his team to pack up and go home because they wont beat that.
  11. No doubt not many people in this country will give a toss, Big Brother or strictly come cnuting will be on, and in the following New Years honours they will be beaten out of the award by some scumbag chav who spelt his name correctly on his dole application.

Me, bitter?
  12. Not quite 1000mph now is it?
  13. Mental, it's just not right having a bike that is that quiet!