New lad here & abit of a dilema!

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by andynufc, May 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone, thought i would just say hello to everyone i'm new to this!

Been reading alot through these forums and found quite alot of usefull information!

In a bit of a confusion here myself! The main thing is, ive had all of my Uni offers back etc so ive got the chance to go in september, but on the other hand im really up for joining the signals as a c communication systems spec or gunner art command systems?

Got an appoitment on tuesday down at the AFCO to talk about it, but i really don't know what to go for? (Army or Uni)

You guys seem like you know better than me, so what would be your advice?

2. First of all; welcome aboard!

Get your butt to Uni first, you can do UOTC or TA whilst you're there, get your degree, drink and make merry. Then if you still fancy it - join up.

Chat with the AFCO and explain your options, they will be best placed to advise you. (Do what's best for you in the long run - not what's best for the recruiters short term.)

Good luck with what ever you choose.
  3. Look at both and go with your gut mate

Some will always say sigs while others will say Art, at the end of the day your the one who will be doing the job so you chose.

ps welcome to the site
  4. I turned down an offer of a place at RAF officer trg to go to uni-hated it, bombed out, failed Army office selection so joined as a soldier-which turned out to be what I should have done in the first place. 22 years later I have my degree and my commission (and many more good things). My point here is go with your instincts, not what you think you "should" do. Things have a habit of working out for the best.
  5. You should be entirely sure about binning the offer of Uni. The Army will still be here if you decide its not for you and as has been mentioned you can join the TA (assuming their will be some R Sigs TA left) or the UOTC whilst you are there to give you a taster of Army life. You should also discuss the possibility of scholarships available or non-graduate entry as an Officer with the AFCO to give you all the options available.
  6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Don't turn down the uni place. The Army is one career and you may not enjoy it and be out in three years. A degree opens doors for a lot longer.

Go to uni, enjoy OTC and then join up. You would be daft to do otherwise.

PS I am a non grad and did my time just as Devex did but as an offr. I had a great time but.....if I could change anything it would be to go back and join with a degree. It saves you from the annoyance of watching others with a degree doing the same job, getting paid significantly more and getting promotion quicker too. Painful at times.
  7. You have an offer of a place at university this autumn, presumably to read for a good degree (technology based?) and you are here asking about joining up?

Get real, young 'un, and grasp what you have been handed. As has been suggested, go up to uni, enjoy yourself, join the TA or OTC, gain lots of experience and a good degree and then think about joining as an officer.

8. Thanks for all your replies, really apreciate it!

Still going to go down teh AFCO tomorrow, have a chat with the guys in there and explain the same thing.

It's an awful situation to be in, being in 2 minds!

In Reply to Litotes :: Yeh, the degree is Hacking for Computer Security as my firm, and Computer Networking as my insurance.

Say i went for the Army, went to Selection and passed, would i have to go to basic training?
  9. No, you can still drop out.

Don't be daft. Very few people have the mindset capable of studying the subjects to which you have signed up, presumably because they interest you and you have some aptitude.

Go to university and then join the Royal Signals, if you are still so minded.

10. Yes, take the advice given. Do your degree first. If it does not suit whilst doing it, then the Army will always still be there.

My old Granny was a wise old Brid. She always said..."Get your education/training behind you before you join the Army/Navy/Air Force to travel the World".

I was a bit of a 'Thicko', still am in some ways. I joined the R Sigs way back in the 1960s and became a Data Telegraphist (Area Systems Op now) because I didn't have the qualifications or the gumption to go to College back then. I did manage to gain a Degree many years later when I was a bit older, and a bit more sober... (heheheeh!!)

But, as has been said ... go with your gut feeling, not necessary with what the ACIO tell you to do. They are just after numbers to fill boots.

Whatever you do, get as much info as you can to weigh up and come to a reasoned decision. 8O
  11. Yep, definitely go for uni. Sign up for UOTC (University Officer Training Corps) - you get to play soldiers in your spare time with a get out clause if you don't like it. The drinking games are awesome, they pay you extra, there are lots of fit girls and you will actually be able to develop your leadership skills at the same time, improving your chances of getting through officer selection when you finish. What's not to like?!

It's a no-brainer. Good luck.
  12. As Said no brainer. By now you should have had your info Made a decision yet - I do like a story with a happy ending.

ps TA pays more per day than UOTC ewven as a basic sigy
  13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

As much as the Corps needs people like you, it can wait a few years. As has been said, do the uni bit first and then look at joining up. If you hate uni and drop out you can still join the Army. Doing it the other way around is much harder.

The Army, and particularly the R Signals is fcuking great - you'll get much more out of it with 3/4 years at university behind you though. 8)

Having said all that, good luck with whatever you decide to do. :D
  14. The truth of it is you need to sort your fckin life out !